Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I think it makes a competition more exciting, when the competition gets knocked out of it.

I really want Danyl to go this week.. really really really. Please god, if you are up there along with Superman and the guy who invented prawn cocktail crisps, please heed my call and my paddy power bet at 11/1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Emmmooo

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    At the very least Simon Cowell is guilty of tactical voting, not to mention undermining the entire concept of his show. Two weeks in a row now he feels the public deserve the final say. Really? What's the point of having a bottom two so? What's the point of giving judges an opportunity to have the final say when he thinks that the public deserve the final say? A few weeks ago Simon Cowell was entirely indignant and patronising towards the public for daring not to vote for Danyl Johnson. He showed contempt for the final say of the public on that night. Yet last night, and last week, he shows an incredible amount of respect towards the audience. The man quite simply is a walking contradiction.

I'm not saying that these people are right in complaining to Ofcom, but I can certainly understand the frustration behind their actions.

Bravo bravo someone who is on my wave length!!! The thing that has annoyed me greatly about Simon Cowell this year is his inconsistency and contradiction. He hates the twins has a chance to finally get rid of them does he, NO! makes no sense! Or does it cos we all know Mr Cowell is anything but a fool,ok if he didn't know for certain c'mon he had a very good idea that Lucie & Rachel finished bottom in the voting!
    And the result of it all is in 2 weeks he has all but wiped out the next best category oh but no it wasn't him it was the public !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Emmmooo wrote: »
    Bravo bravo someone who is on my wave length!!! The thing that has annoyed me greatly about Simon Cowell this year is his inconsistency and contradiction. He hates the twins has a chance to finally get rid of them does he, NO! makes no sense! Or does it cos we all know Mr Cowell is anything but a fool,ok if he didn't know for certain c'mon he had a very good idea that Lucie & Rachel finished bottom in the voting!
    And the result of it all is in 2 weeks he has all but wiped out the next best category oh but no it wasn't him it was the public !!!!

That's what has me kind of irked. I won't apologise for seeing this competition as first and foremost about singing, and the show has kind of been ruined for me in the last two weeks because the strongest category has been decimated. I can't see beyond the first Over 25's win since Steve Brookstein.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Biggins wrote: »
    Aye and I stuck a comment on it too! :mad:

Here is Olly on "Deal or No Deal" by the way...

Watched it a while ago, thought it was funny :P I mean thy're on that show for goes before they could be picked. Felt kinda bad when he said the money was for his mam though.

Just wondering how is it always rumoured what John nd Edward are gonna sing?? Every week I have known but havnt known it for ny other act :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

[quote=deise_girl;62939473

Just wondering how is it always rumoured what John nd Edward are gonna sing?? Every week I have known but havnt known it for ny other act :/[/quote]

Louis always lets it slip on Irish tv or radio

• Advertisement

Apparently the theme this week is
    Queen

Jedward are apparently singing
    Radio Gaga
    , which I'm surprised about, it always seemed like a sad song to me.

Danyl is apparently singing
    We Are The Champions
    , what a way to endear him more to the audience Simon. ;)

That's all the information so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,903 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

More screaming and shouting from Danyl so :rolleyes:

Who wants to bet Cheryl will be an idiot and give Lloyd "Killer Queen"?

Jamie will get a lesser known one, Ollie will probably get "Crazy Little Think Called Love", or maybe "You're my Best Friend"

Joe will probably get "Don't Stop Me Now".

All I know is....this Saturday is going to be a DISASTER!!!

Being a Queen fan, this week is going to ROCK! :p;)

My mam knows all about John and Edward now:P She doesn't watch the show but she says they're in the paper and on the radio so much :L
    Speaking of on the radio, they've been talked about since 3 on the Mooney show, Louis was talking too.

And yeh next week is
    Queen
    When I heard it my first thought was Danyl doing the song you mentioned, it just aounds like the kind he'd sing. :rolleyes:

Im real worried for John and Edward I don't know how its going to go, Im gonna feel sick all weekend! Yeh I really get into it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

It's tactical voting when the judges who have no vested interest (i.e their acts aren't in the bottom two) make questionable decisions.
    Simon had plenty of vested interests in who got through, there's no difference. Perhaps the judges shouldnt be the mentors at all
    Re: she couldn't win the show, who knows what could have happened. I believe Ruth Lorenzo last year was in the bottom two twice, in the very first show and then in week 5. However she still managed to get one week or so away from the final.
    I'm sorry, is this meant to argue my point or yours?!?! I say she couldnt win because she is not popular enough, and, you, as a counter-argument, reference another female singer who was shown to not be popular enough, who did even get to the final either?!How does that prove anything other than my point being right?!? She doesnt have the fans behind her, not even enough to outvote lloyd. No money to be made from her, time to get rid.
    That's what the bottom two should be about; giving the better singer one more roll of the dice at the least.
    thats NOT what the bottom two is about though. Its about the judges maintaining control of who comes and goes. Its a ploy. It always has been a ploy.

• Advertisement

Apparently the theme this week is
    Queen

Jedward are apparently singing
    Radio Gaga
    , which I'm surprised about, it always seemed like a sad song to me.
    aww..
    should be doing
    Bohemian Rhapsody! Can you imagine them pelting out the "I'm just a poor boy nobody loves me!"

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

zuroph wrote: »
    aww..
    should be doing
    Bohemian Rhapsody! Can you imagine them pelting out the "I'm just a poor boy nobody loves me!"

I was wondering would someone sing that! That would be pretty immense!

Simon had plenty of vested interests in who got through, there's no difference. Perhaps the judges shouldnt be the mentors at all

Only vested interests in the sense that it was in the interest of his acts that he knocked out the stronger singer. Have you noticed how all the themes have been tailored in order to suit Simon's acts, especially Danyl? Each theme has allowed him to do big numbers. How anyone can't see this and think Cowell doesn't care who wins the show is beyond me.
    I'm sorry, is this meant to argue my point or yours?!?! I say she couldnt win because she is not popular enough, and, you, as a counter-argument, reference another female singer who was shown to not be popular enough, who did even get to the final either?!How does that prove anything other than my point being right?!? She doesnt have the fans behind her, not even enough to outvote lloyd. No money to be made from her, time to get rid.

:confused:

I referenced Ruth Lorenzo to show that just because someone is in the bottom two that doesn't mean that the public have no interest in them. Ruth was in the bottom two in the first week and was saved. She went three weeks without being near the bottom two. Then in week 5 she was in the bottom two but was saved. She then went on 4 week run of not being in the bottom two, until finally being knocked out in Week 10. Just two weeks off the final. The point is that the voting audience is fickle, just because someone is in the bottom two once that doesn't mean they have zero chance of doing well in the competition.
    thats NOT what the bottom two is about though. Its about the judges maintaining control of who comes and goes. Its a ploy. It always has been a ploy.

Exactly, and more often than not to have used this control to save the BETTER act. I'm sure if I went through each season of the X Factor the right decisions far outweigh the contoversial decisions.

On a unrelated note,

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

Only vested interests in the sense that it was in the interest of his acts that he knocked out the stronger singer. Have you noticed how all the themes have been tailored in order to suit Simon's acts, especially Danyl? Each theme has allowed him to do big numbers. How anyone can't see this and think Cowell doesn't care who wins the show is beyond me.

She was easily the most boring, bland, unoriginal and generic contestant. She hasn't even got a personality and had to copy stacey's. That was truely pathetic. She's a singer in the style of Leona/Alexandra except not nearly as good. So what's the point? There are tons of female singers like her, a decent voice but no charisma. There is not a chance in hell she would've won it and it is complete nonsense suggesting Simon was got rid of her to help his acts. He 'got rid of her' (nevermind the fact that it was ultimately the public who gave her the least votes) because he knew the public would be bored to tears watching her. In case you don't realise it, Simon wants the person who can sell the most records to ultimately win the show, whether its one of 'his' contestants or not. If he thought Lucie was such a star he wouldn't want her out. She got the least votes after her best performance, that should tell you something, the public don't hate her, they just find her boring.

That wasnt his only vested interest. He also wants someone who will get his show column inches, who will get more votes coming in on the premium lines, and who will possibly sell music/concert tickets

:confused:

I referenced Ruth Lorenzo to show that just because someone is in the bottom two that doesn't mean that the public have no interest in them. Ruth was in the bottom two in the first week and was saved. She went three weeks without being near the bottom two. Then in week 5 she was in the bottom two but was saved. She then went on 4 week run of not being in the bottom two, until finally being knocked out in Week 10. Just two weeks off the final. The point is that the voting audience is fickle, just because someone is in the bottom two once that doesn't mean they have zero chance of doing well in the competition.
    She didnt do well, she didnt win, get to the final, or make any impact on the music industry after the show. Would have been no difference in the long term if they dropped her week one instead of week 10.

Exactly, and more often than not to have used this control to save the BETTER act. I'm sure if I went through each season of the X Factor the right decisions far outweigh the contoversial decisions.
    Its controversial to you because you dont like them. regardless, more people liked them than her, and she's gone. It doesnt matter that she's a better singer, some of the best singers in the world can be heard down kareoke on a saturday night. She just wasnt popular enough, had no market to appeal to, and wasnt going to make him any money.

For example, you don't like Danyl johnson. Never the less, he's a great singer, and has marketing possibility. Just cos YOU don't like him doesnt mean that he wouldn't make simon shedloads of cash. Maybe he wouldnt. but its a better opportunity than lucie was.

bSlick wrote: »
    She was easily the most boring, bland, unoriginal and generic contestant. She hasn't even got a personality and had to copy stacey's. That was truely pathetic. She's a singer in the style of Leona/Alexandra except not nearly as good.

She's really not. Did you stop to think why Dannii gave her that disney song from last Saturday? Because it's current, she wanted to present her like an artist in the mould of Miley Cyrus or Vanessa Hudgens. NOT like Leona or Alexandra. You call her unoriginal but in reality she had the most potential out of all the acts to fit into the current market.
    So what's the point? There are tons of female singers like her, a decent voice but no charisma. There is not a chance in hell she would've won it and it is complete nonsense suggesting Simon was got rid of her to help his acts. In case you don't realise it, Simon wants the person who can sell the most records to ultimately win the show, whether its one of 'his' contestants or not.

No, the reason he got rid of her is because he wants to ensure he doesn't have another female act on his books by the time this season is finished. He's content with Leona and Alexandra for the moment, what he wants now is global male superstar and he has certainly all but guaranteed that he is going to get that at this stage.
    If he thought Lucie was such a star he wouldn't want her out. She got the least votes after her best performance, that should tell you something, the public don't hate her, they just find her boring.

How many times have the public voted acts into the bottom two only for the judges to save them and in turn they go on a run for a few weeks without being in the bottom two? It happened Ruth last year. It happened with Ray Quinn in the third season. It happed with Chico in the second season. It happened with G4 in the first season. It happened with JLS in the fifth season.

Being in the bottom two one week doesn't mean that the audience find you boring. It just means that something may have went wrong such as the wrong song choice.

She's really not. Did you stop to think why Dannii gave her that disney song from last Saturday? Because it's current, she wanted to present her like an artist in the mould of Miley Cyrus or Vanessa Hudgens. NOT like Leona or Alexandra. You call her unoriginal but in reality she had the most potential out of all the acts to fit into the current market.
    Because it went down so well Saturday. Clearly it wouldnt work, nobody voted for her.

No, the reason he got rid of her is because he wants to ensure he doesn't have another female act on his books by the time this season is finished. He's content with Leona and Alexandra for the moment, what he wants now is global male superstar and he has certainly all but guaranteed that he is going to get that at this stage.
    So? That's his choice, as the person who devised the bottom two judge off lark

How many times have the public voted acts into the bottom two only for the judges to save them and in turn they go on a run for a few weeks without being in the bottom two? It happened Ruth last year. It happened with Ray Quinn in the third season. It happed with Chico in the second season. It happened with G4 in the first season. It happened with JLS in the fifth season.

Being in the bottom two one week doesn't mean that the audience find you boring. It just means that something may have went wrong such as the wrong song choice.
    none of them were any good, with JLS only ones to now start making a name for themselves. not worth the gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

That song was the lamest thing I heard in a long time. A complete 'paint by numbers' pop song, completely and utterly deriviative muck, not even a spark of originality. The public don't want another boring generic female singer, especially one who isn't even a patch on the current crop out there.

That wasnt his only vested interest. He also wants someone who will get his show column inches, who will get more votes coming in on the premium lines, and who will possibly sell music/concert tickets

End of the day though he ultimately wants a winner he can market, a winner he can present to the market and say "this is what this show has produced". This IMO is just as important as the aspects you have mentioned.
    She didnt do well, she didnt win, get to the final, or make any impact on the music industry after the show. Would have been no difference in the long term if they dropped her week one instead of week 10.

Actually she was signed by EMI, with an album out in March. Artists she has collaborated on the album with include Steve Tyler, Slash and Santana. Ruth was very fortunate, not many former acts get the breaks she got.
    Its controversial to you because you dont like them. regardless, more people liked them than her, and she's gone. It doesnt matter that she's a better singer, some of the best singers in the world can be heard down kareoke on a saturday night. She just wasnt popular enough, had no market to appeal to, and wasnt going to make him any money.

It's controversial because it's meant to be a singing contest. First and foremost it's a singing competition where as I said already, Cowell will want an act he can present to the market and say "this is what the X Factor has produced". If you see it as an "entertainment" show then you might as well call it Britain's Got Talent V.2.

And as I said, she wasn't popular one week, she sailed through the previous four without being in the bottom two. I strongly believe that it was the song choice that put her in the bottom two. That's a mistake on Dannii's part, the girl deserved at least one more chance.
    For example, you don't like Danyl johnson. Never the less, he's a great singer, and has marketing possibility. Just cos YOU don't like him doesnt mean that he wouldn't make simon shedloads of cash. Maybe he wouldnt. but its a better opportunity than lucie was.

Never said I don't like the man. I don't like that he's inconsistent. I don't like reading columns talking of his flawless performances which is quite simply a lie (various performances I can allude to, but Rock week would be the best example). I don't like Simon Cowell's over the top and aggressive praise of the guy. All that being said, I still think he owns the best performance of the series with I'm Not Going. If only he could do that every week then he'd deserve to walk the show.

Personally I don't see any obvious market for Danyl, he's a bit of a 90's throwback IMO. ;)

End of the day though he ultimately wants a winner he can market, a winner he can present to the market and say "this is what this show has produced". This IMO is just as important as the aspects you have mentioned.
    He wouldnt have been too proud showing lucie off.

Actually she was signed by EMI, with an album out in March. Artists she has collaborated on the album with include Steve Tyler, Slash and Santana. Ruth was very fortunate, not many former acts get the breaks she got.
    We'll see how that goes then, if she manages to pull it off fair play, she'll be in the minority for sure though, most of them end up doing a regional panto and skulking into the dark night.

It's controversial because it's meant to be a singing contest. First and foremost it's a singing competition where as I said already, Cowell will want an act he can present to the market and say "this is what the X Factor has produced". If you see it as an "entertainment" show then you might as well call it Britain's Got Talent V.2.
    The tv show is for entertainment. same reason stavros flatley got places on BGT, breifne is getting places on The Apprentice, John sergeant was doing so well on Come dancing, that is why Jedward are still there. The standard on the show this year is terrible, none of them deserve a guaranteed xmas number one.
    And as I said, she wasn't popular one week, she sailed through the previous four without being in the bottom two. I strongly believe that it was the song choice that put her in the bottom two. That's a mistake on Dannii's part, the girl deserved at least one more chance.
    The public didnt think so. the judges arent the only ones who can vote for the person and not just the performance. Lloyd getting votes despite not being able to sing two weeks ago is an example.

Never said I don't like the man. I don't like that he's inconsistent. I don't like reading columns talking of his flawless performances which is quite simply a lie (various performances I can allude to, but Rock week would be the best example). I don't like Simon Cowell's over the top and aggressive praise of the guy. All that being said, I still think he owns the best performance of the series with I'm Not Going. If only he could do that every week then he'd deserve to walk the show.

Personally I don't see any obvious market for Danyl, he's a bit of a 90's throwback IMO. ;)
    Danyl won't go very far, that much I can agree on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Everyone in school was talking about the complaints today made into the show.
    Its ridiculous.
    :rolleyes:

Are people suprised that Simon Cowell has a sense of humour? Because he was right, Lucie wouldn't have won the show...

Lucie, imo got the least amount of votes because of her song choice. All the "older" people wouldn't have known or been very familiar with the song while all the youngsters would be comparing her to Demi Lovato (in which she was no where near her standard).

So yea, I'm just happy John & Edward are still in it for another week :). They are just fantastic to watch and should never have been in the bottom 2 after their Ghostbusters performance.

If people should be complaining, it should be about Lloyd! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

jedward will totally get Radio Gaga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

Jamie Jamie Jamie !

bSlick wrote: »
    That song was the lamest thing I heard in a long time. A complete 'paint by numbers' pop song, completely and utterly deriviative muck, not even a spark of originality. The public don't want another boring generic female singer, especially one who isn't even a patch on the current crop out there.

Lamest thing imaginable for you and me, but there is a huge market where those songs are loved.

Zuroph, I can see we're not going to agree, so for fear of hijacking the thread I'm bowing out. See you next Saturday or Sunday. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

All we hear is Radio Jedward
    Radio John
    Radio Edward
    All we hear is Radio Jedward
    Radio blah blah
    Radio what's new?
    Jedward someone still loves you! :D

OT: seen on another board that L'Oreal could be signing Jedward up imagine Cheryl, Pierce Brosnan, McDreamy, Matthew Fox and Jedward at the L'Oreal Christmas Party :D

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Jerdward should sing
    We are the champions
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

It really should be Johnward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Cathooo wrote: »
    Of course it matters who wins, a platinum selling artist is worth millions more than a one hit wonder!

Obviously it matters who will be the most successful, however it doesn't matter to whom that act belongs, as ultimately the winner will be signed to Simon Cowell's label and he'll get the revenue. Basically what I'm saying is, Simon Cowell couldn't care less if the winning act belongs to any of the other judges, as long as he, she or they will make him lots of money.

It really should be Johnward.
    Nahh we only need a letter for John, Edward deserves his full name :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sweetalice

Could you imagine the remake of the Bohemian Rhapsody video starring Jon and Edward? Just imagine their cute little heads seguing into infinity, galileo galileo.
    Class.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement