Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

beanzz wrote: »
    You are not alone? are you kidding me? you will be alone if you find yourself buying anyone over the age of 14 that for Christmas, the X Factor, should be renamed look at how much money we can make while the public remain gullible fools, factor
    It is the whole manipulating the christmas number 1 is that offends me most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Yes, the people are being manipulated by Christmas number 1's based on the X-Factor, thus ruining the future plots of movies like Love, Actually. We need a revolution.

EDIT : Monday. We need a revolution Monday. X-Factor is on the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,879 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It is the whole manipulating the christmas number 1 is that offends me most.
    Yes.. agreed, leave the Christmas No's 1 to the more reputable recording artists like:

Nizlopi
    Bob The Builder
    Mr Blobby
    Ricky Tomlinson
    Peter Kay
    The Darkness etc.

To be honest, Christmas #1's have rarely been credible.. this year won't be any different! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Honestly Susan Boyle might beat the X Factor winner to the Christmas No. 1 this year either way Simon still makes more money :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Shane10 wrote: »
    this is how i see the remaining acts

john+edward - brilliant, love them
    joe - good singer but meh..hundreds of him around
    lloyd - u have to go next
    danyl - cant stand him.
    jaimie - cant stand him now either. dont think simon cares that much about him now either. and im sick of him doing that stupid..ya rock on thing with his hands. pee off.
    ollie - ya we get it u like dancing. i dont like watching it though.
    stacey - apart from jedward i really like her. seems like agreat girl.

Well summed up, I liked Jamie at the start but he's got really annoying these last couple of weeks! Delighted if Lloyd or Danyl go this week!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

For me, and many others, they're making the X factor worth watching beyond the auditions for the first time ever :)

I wont deny that they have been fun to watch, but it really is wearing on the thin side. It's an insult to singers(of all levels of ability).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Jedward should definitely take up the Disney offer, if it's real. Could pave a lucrative career for themselves that way.

Also, as someone over on the Guardian suggested, if they survive until the Duet Week (fingers crossed), they will HAVE to perform Lets Get Ready to Rumble with Ant and Dec. The world will then cease to exist as we know it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

X Factor star Olly Murs has fractured his hand after hitting a punch bag too hard.

According to The Sun, the incident occurred as he worked out in the gym of the X Factor house in North London last night.

The Essex singer is believed to have hit the punch bag so hard that he gave himself a "boxer's fracture" - an injury usually seen in professional boxers following a fight. Murs was immediately seen by a doctor, who set his hand in a plastercast.

The 25-year-old has now been told to rest his hand as he prepares for this weekend's shows. He was later spotted with the cast as he headed to rehearsals for the programme's Queen night on Saturday.

A source said: "Olly was mucking around with a punch bag when he gave himself the boxer's fracture. He was really going at the punchbag and it has left people wondering why he was hitting it so hard. Could he have been imagining it was somebody?"

Murs has struggled to stay fit after developing a throat infection last week.

lol, I've spent my fair share of time in the boxing gym, and I don't think you can hit a bag too hard. I've seen absolute behemoths destroy punching bags and guys slickly punch with force and no-one has ever injured their hand if they knew what they were doing. I'd say Olly didn't punch straight and was floppy armed, that's why he injured his hand. I'm sure walshb will tell me I'm talking bollox though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Its probably been said already but what is the problem with deadlock..? If anything I reckon every week should come down to the public vote. They got more votes than Lucie, it would have been unfair for her to stay over the twins regardless of how good she is. Its a contest decided by the public..the public chose the twins over her. Simple.

Radio Gaga rumoured for the boys. Another One Bites the Dust would have been better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Its probably been said already but what is the problem with deadlock..? If anything I reckon every week should come down to the public vote. They got more votes than Lucie, it would have been unfair for her to stay over the twins regardless of how good she is. Its a contest decided by the public..the public chose the twins over her. Simple.

Because vote results dont purely reflect popularity, and the whole point of the SINGOFF, is to get a 2nd chance where it's earned

It actually makes more sense that Lucy got the least votes because she was one of the best on the night, she's the only one who got pretty much 100% great comments. The rest got so and so

So people would think "Ah she'll sail through, I dont need to vote"

And since some of the others struggled, their fans would have power-voted to keep them in

Same with Rachel last week, she's been showin her voice [one of the best in the competition] off well since Week 3, so the same prob happened to her

Then on top of that theres the editorial holdbacks, such as the order of the lineup, the length of the recaps etc

And everyone "supporting" Jedward, they only want them in so they can laugh at them. That's no better than wantin them off the show. They're not entertainers, they entered the show as genuine singers

• Advertisement

All I've got to say is shame on Wales for voting Lloyd over Lucie. :p

Rock star Sting has called the X Factor "televised karaoke" and said judges like Simon Cowell have "no recognisable talent apart from self-promotion".

The singer, 58, told London's Evening Standard that the Saturday night show was "a soap opera which has nothing to do with music".

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

JP Liz wrote: »
    Rock star Sting has called the X Factor "televised karaoke" and said judges like Simon Cowell have "no recognisable talent apart from self-promotion".

The singer, 58, told London's Evening Standard that the Saturday night show was "a soap opera which has nothing to do with music".

Sting is a twat though, in fairness ;)

He's got a point though, Cowell's not ridiculously rich because of his eye for talent, it's because of the persona he's built and the circus that he puts on every year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

By the way, it looks like ALL the contestesnts are under contract to Simon till March 2010 - so they CAN'T do anything else without his say so!

See this story on Lucy for example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1227098/X-Factor-Lucie-Jones-sings-gig-shock-exit-show.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Biggins wrote: »
    By the way, it looks like ALL the contestesnts are under contract to Simon till March 2010 - so they CAN'T do anything else without his say so!

See this story on Lucy for example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1227098/X-Factor-Lucie-Jones-sings-gig-shock-exit-show.html
    Yeah, they're mad strict this year cos of the lineup of the Live Tour

Last year a few werent there as they got deals as soon as they got the boot

But they cant physically make them go out and perform on tour, so I'm sure they'll find workarounds

unreggd wrote: »
    Yeah, they're mad strict this year cos of the lineup of the Live Tour
    Last year a few werent there as they got deals as soon as they got the boot
    But they cant physically make them go out and perform on tour, so I'm sure they'll find workarounds

They might have gotten deals but part of their contact with Simon is that they CANNOT release ANY song before Christmas in case according to Simon, it might interfere with the chance of his winner getting a number 1 in the charts for the Christmas week.

Simon's X-factor (and Britain's Got Talent) contracts are well known to be visibly thick and virtually air tight with a hell of a lot of angles covered.
    "Workarounds" in Simons contracts are virtually non-existent. Bushy-head wanted to leave and go on tour with Bon Jovi - Simon said "Absolutely not!" and reminded him quickly of his application contract.

Remember Faryl Smith? She was a contestant with a hell of a voice.
    When she was on the show and left afterwards, she outright refused Simons further thick contract offers.
    She bided her time (no choice) and signed up to someone else who wasn't as dictatorship strict. Now she is just about to release her second album (Wonderland - I have the first one myself, called "Faryl") and is on tour at times with Kathrine Jenkins.

*** Just watch Simons face drop and be stunned as soon as she opened her mouth! He saw instant pound signs!
    The rest of the audience was in shock LOL

Or this brilliant tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABDpKdiRbXc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

unreggd wrote: »
    And everyone "supporting" Jedward, they only want them in so they can laugh at them. That's no better than wantin them off the show. They're not entertainers, they entered the show as genuine singers
    I don't think thats right, well the "everyone" certainly isnt. At bootcamp this was my reason for them but since judges house I find them really likeable. They're having fun and are in they're own little world at times(which again I find likeable) But of course people laugh at their performances, and they like people laughing, having a good time, thry said so. But the laughing isn't/shouldn't be personally at them, just people showing their enjoying the performance.

I think the thing is people are caught do they vote for their favourite or who should have a career after this. For many people the X Factor is just a Staurday tv show so of course they're going to vote for thie faves. Some take the show very seriously and vote for people's careers after the show.
    Kinda trailed off there but may aswell get it all into the one post :)

To give you an idea of how mad and thick are his contracts, read below:
    Simon Cowell says he is "very embarrassed" that the contracts signed by this year's X Factor contestants were leaked to the Mirror newspaper.

The 80-page document, which is enforceable "anywhere in the world or the solar system" was signed by all 12 finalists before the live shows began.
    It includes a clause that prevents them from saying anything "unduly negative, critical or derogatory" about Cowell.
    "I didn't put that in there," the music mogul said. "Very embarrassing."
    "I wasn't aware that one of the clauses said you can't be horrible about me," he added.

"It's probably the most useless clause in the history of contracts, because everybody does talk horrible about me.
    "And do you know what? I don't care. It sounds ridiculously hypocritical of me to slate most people who come on the show and then to go: 'And, by the way, you've got to be nice about Simon'."

He also addressed the issue of how much money the winner receives.
    On air, the prize is billed as a "£1m recording contract", but the contestants' contract said the prize money was £150,000.
    Cowell acknowledged that this latter figure was correct, but said the total amount of money spent on the winning act exceeded £1m.

"We make over a million pound commitment to the winner. That's why it's described as a £1m recording contract," he added.

Minogue's future

The 49-year-old was speaking at a press conference ahead of Saturday night's final - along with the contestants and his fellow judges Cheryl Cole, Dannii Minogue and Louis Walsh.
    Minogue declined to answer a question about whether she would return to the series next year - deferring to Cowell, whose production company makes the show.
    "Do you know what, we're going to sit down with everybody in January," he said.
    "But I would be surprised if it's a different line-up. Although Louis [Walsh] is going to have to get some work done."
    The Irish judge retorted: "Is that part of the contract, Simon?
    "Well, I want to do the gig, so I'll do it."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7778138.stm

...and he's dropping the Winners "Diversity" in favour of the hairy woman!
    Their gain hopefully.
    http://entertainment.stv.tv/tv/111902-simon-cowell-drops-diversity/

Dannii Minogue has dedicated her Cosmopolitan Ultimate TV Personality of the Year Award to her last remaining X Factor act Stacey Solomon.

The Aussie star said she had forgiven Simon Cowell for saving John And Edward but was determined to win the ITV talent show with Essex girl Stacey.

Dannii brandished her award saying "I'll keep it in my dressing room as inspiration for Stacey (Solomon) - a bit of girl power from Cosmo."

The X Factor judge insisted she wasn't angry with Simon Cowell over the events at the weekend which led to her act Lucie Jones's departure.

She said: "Simon and I spoke yesterday, it's fine."

But she added: "Taking it to deadlock is not something I would have done. I thought as soon as he did it of all the hype and press John And Edward had had all week. But it's something he did in the heat of the moment and now he has to live with it, and if he ends up with John And Edward winning the record deal, well..."

Meanwhile EastEnders star Lacey Turner, who won the Cosmopolitan Ultimate TV Actress Award revealed John And Edward are her guilty pleasure.

"I love them", she confessed.

"I don't think they should win but I think they should be in the final. They're so entertaining."

But Girls Aloud's Kimberly Walsh said: "I don't get John and Edward. They're very entertaining, I can see that, but they can't sing. I love little Joseph. I think he's great but you just don't know with X Factor."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    But Girls Aloud's Kimberly Walsh said: "I don't get John and Edward. They're very entertaining, I can see that, but they can't sing. I love little Joseph. I think he's great but you just don't know with X Factor."

Would her and especially Cheryl ever stop calling everyone little.

Little Joseph
    Little Diana
    Little Lloyd

ffs, they should get their own show called The Midget Factor.

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Would her and especially Cheryl ever stop calling everyone little.

Little Joseph
    Little Diana
    Little Lloyd

ffs, they should get their own show called The Midget Factor.

The Giants (Rick Walller and Michelle McManus) have had their time, the age of the little people is here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

True, never heard them say 'Up next it's Big Michelle from Glasgow'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Just heard Danyl's cover of Purple Rain there...
    Amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

not a patch on Ruth last year - I don't rate Danyl at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Ruth's Purple Rain was mind blowing compared to Danyl's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Biggins wrote: »
    Remember Faryl Smith? She was a contestant with a hell of a voice.
    When she was on the show and left afterwards, she outright refused Simons further thick contract offers.
    She bided her time (no choice) and signed up to someone else who wasn't as dictatorship strict. Now she is just about to release her second album (Wonderland - I have the first one myself, called "Faryl") and is on tour at times with Kathrine Jenkins.

Yeah, remember Faryl's Dad? He seemed like a bit of an over-protective loon so I reckon he was probably in charge of anything she did. Anyone involved in a show that would knock his little princess out wouldn't be getting shít from them I bet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Purple Rain by Danyl was the most nasally, contrived performance he's produced so far. He's fecking horrendous.

In light of the controversy over the Sing for Survival, I propose that the bottom two have to run the Total Wipeout obstacle course. I dont think there is a person in the British Isles who would not think that this was the most fair way to find a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

In light of the controversy over the Sing for Survival, I propose that the bottom two have to run the Total Wipeout obstacle course. I dont think there is a person in the British Isles who would not think that this was the most fair way to find a winner.

Nah, The Eliminator ftw!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement