Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

BTW, did anyone else feel that the Queen tracks were just too difficult for the acts. They are the type of tunes that only Freddie can truly replicate. Very diverse and complex tracks that require major versatility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

Did anyone else like the twins but feel they've had their day, it's not funny anymore and are bored stiff by them?

What was the ratings for last night, I can't find it anywhere.

MizzLolly wrote: »
    Ah, they're so cute! Leave 'em alone haters!

Exactly. Just damn begrudgery really. Jealous that the lads are really getting so much publicity. Heck, even Ronan Keating was on the Late Late on Friday and the smug git hadn't a decent word to say about them. Like, maybe he doesn't think they are great, but it wouldn't have killed him to try and say something nice. I don't understand people like this, where it pains them to pay someone a compliment. Kenny Egan was on the Mooney show last week, and he too, a fellow Dub, had not one decent word for the lads. It doesn't reflect badly on the Twins at all, it reflects badly on those who are slating them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Emmmooo wrote: »

Obviously one couldn't survive without the other but John definitely seems to be the brains of the operation. Seriously look back on their performances and you will notice Edward is always slightly off and keeps looking at John.

Ya the sing off between then and Lucie is a perfect example of that, one of them barely knew the words at all. Definitely a passenger.

ateam wrote: »
    Did anyone else like the twins but feel they've had their day, it's not funny anymore and are bored stiff by them?

What was the ratings for last night, I can't find it anywhere.

Well, if you are bored with them, you must be fit to kill yourself watching Lloyd or Stacy or some of the others.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

walshb wrote: »
    Exactly. Just damn begrudgery really. Jealous that the lads are really getting so much publicity. Heck, even Ronan Keating was on the Late Late on Friday and the smug git hadn't a decent word to say about them. Like, maybe he doesn't think they are great, but it wouldn't have killed him to try and say something nice. I don't understand people like this, where it pains them to pay someone a compliment. Kenny Egna was on the Mooney show last week, and he too, a fellow Dub, had not one decent word for the lads....
    ha he would want to look back on the 1st time boyzone were on the late late show... jedward's 1st audition was waaaaay better than that!

and totally agree witho what emmmmooo said , that John is way way better than edward

Well, if you are bored with them, you must be fit to kill yourself watching Lloyd or Stacy or some of the others.....

I'm getting tired of everyone talking about them, they're all over the papers, the radio, the news - I'm just getting twins fatigue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I'm getting tired of everyone talking about them, they're all over the papers, the radio, the news - I'm just getting twins fatigue.
    they're the only think worth watching on the show tho, bar olly .. thye're the most entertaining

the rest just stand there..

like Lloyd could of doing a much much better proformance than what he did, he was giving the girls to dance around.. and what did he do?? he walked in and around them, and if they were traffic cones!! he didnt dance he walked...

and stacey gets praised for walking! like wtf! dance gurly dance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I've had people cracking up me from the start because my take on it is that Olly is ok, but he's not great. I never rated Jamie from the offset, but was nearly strung up by my friends in the early stages as if what I was saying was blasphemous (nearly all of them agree with me now) and Lloyd is a waste of space. I will give him that his vocal on Saturday night is probably the best we've heard from him, but he's still a weak act on his own. I agree with Louis, he needs to be part of a band and then he will probably do well.

The only acts I backed were Miss Frank (and I still think they have the potential to do well) and Jedward. It's like just because people have been told (and Simon did this at the audition stages) to dislike them, that they can't think for themselves. So much so that they couldn't see that the Lads gave a better vocal performance in the last few weeks than Lloyd has.

Yes I agree Lucie had a pretty good voice, but she had proven that she has no stage presence or charisma. She'd be another Steve what's his face or Leon Jackson. These boys are making headlines worldwide for a reason. Nobody knows what the "X" factor is but these two have it in bucket loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Emmmooo

I think we're creating a great story here for one of the rags u can see it now John has realised Edward is holding him back and in Gallagher brothers style they've split up!!! Only jokin Jedward fans the bond between twins could never be broken but seriously John is almost talented and Edward way off with dance moves and singing.
    The quote out of that film Twins comes to mind Arnie was the first one out and Danny De Vito was the **** left behind !!!

The cheek of Ronan Keating to bad mouth them was he not the one who helped pick them with Louis at judges houses!Although in fairness there wasn't much else to choose! Anyway we now know who really picked them don't we Simon........................

• Advertisement

Are the people who defend the twins related to them or do they get money for defending them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Exactly. Just damn begrudgery really. Jealous that the lads are really getting so much publicity. Heck, even Ronan Keating was on the Late Late on Friday and the smug git hadn't a decent word to say about them. Like, maybe he doesn't think they are great, but it wouldn't have killed him to try and say something nice. I don't understand people like this, where it pains them to pay someone a compliment. Kenny Egan was on the Mooney show last week, and he too, a fellow Dub, had not one decent word for the lads. It doesn't reflect badly on the Twins at all, it reflects badly on those who are slating them

I'm a Jedward fan but I really, really don't get this idea of supporting someone simply because they're from the same place as you. The fact that they're Irish is irrelevant. If Irish people don't like them then fair enough, their nationality should have feck all to do with it tbh.

Your comment about Ronan Keating is a tad ironic don't you think? He's a smug git, but isn't he a Dub and therefore deserving of our unwavering support?? Or does it only apply to certain people?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Defending?? Why do they require any defense?
    It's supporting.

What are you on about?

I think we're creating a great story here for one of the rags u can see it now John has realised Edward is holding him back and in Gallagher brothers style they've split up!!! Only jokin Jedward fans the bond between twins could never be broken but seriously John is almost talented and Edward way off with dance moves and singing.
    The quote out of that film Twins comes to mind Arnie was the first one out and Danny De Vito was the **** left behind !!!

The cheek of Ronan Keating to bad mouth them was he not the one who helped pick them with Louis at judges houses!Although in fairness there wasn't much else to choose! Anyway we now know who really picked them don't we Simon........................

To be fair to Ronan from what I remember he wasn't too enthusiastic about them to Louis.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    To be fair to Ronan from what I remember he wasn't too enthusiastic about them to Louis.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was along the lines of "I wouldn't pick them but I respect your decision."

' Even Leona Lewis when she was on X Factor had more to offer, plus a better voice. '

Walshb is that even Leona Lewis that has just signed a multi million 5 album contract in the USA???? If you look back at Leona's year she played it perfectly never stood out but was always note perfect and consistent maybe bordering on boring at times but in the final few weeks she excelled and when you think she was in the final with Ray Quinn you wonder why there was any anticaption before Kate Thornton announced that result!

Just been thinking would Jamie Afro have even made the live finals if he didn't have an afro???? I think thats a fair question? btw i actually quite liked jamie although i did notice last night he sang a bit through his nose

Yeah Ronan wasn't exactly jumping around the place with excitement with Louis's chances of winning with the groups he was left with!!! Would like to have seen some of his off camera views!!!

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it was along the lines of "I wouldn't pick them but I respect your decision."

Yeah that's pretty much what I remember! :D I'll give Jedward their due though, they have progressed. Look at Rock DJ from the first week and last Saturday. There's a world of difference IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Just been thinking would Jamie Afro have even made the live finals if he didn't have an afro???? I think thats a fair question?

I said that to my bf last night! The affro made him a bit original and he wouldn't have stood out without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 starfish1

from what i see, the twins are the only people who have actually shown improvements each week-their singing isn't great but it's much better than when they started out.They're very entertaining and we all know they won't win it (although i would like to see that happen just to wipe that smug smile off simons face!) so i think people should stop complaining and get over the fact that they're still in the competition :rolleyes:

jamie was never going to win-he was the same every week so it wasn't a surprise to see him go to be honest :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,626 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I freaking hated the twins from the first audition, couldn't believe they got through any of the stages.

Can't believe they made it past the first two weeks either - they weren't through on merit imo.

However, and I have said it after the performances too, their last two performances were great. The song choice on both occassions suited them perfectly. Espeically the week just gone, they honestly did well. They were better than Jamie (who I was a fan of since the begining, but did say he should be in the bottom two for the week gone, thought he would win out against Lloyd though) and Lloyd and they deserve to be on next weeks show.

If they continue their improvement from the last two weeks, they should make it through next week too - with Lloyd going home unless there is drastic improvement (and i do not think there will be).

I reckon Joe, Danyl and Olly will make the final 3.

Lloyd gone next week, Jedward the following week and Stacey the week after.

I

Your comment about Ronan Keating is a tad ironic don't you think? He's a smug git, but isn't he a Dub and therefore deserving of our unwavering support?? Or does it only apply to certain people?

I am not saying he has to say they are the next Beatles, but it wouldn't hurt to at least show them some bloody support, and NOTHING to do with where they are from, but in this case, they are Irish, young and full of beans. A bit of bloody support wouldn't have killed the chap. That's all I was looking for. It doesn't do him any harm, but his lack of a decent word says a lot to me about Ronan.

I had this awful premonition/nightmare Saturday night watching Lloyd getting great comments from the judges,could he do a Leon Jackson and somehow win this!!! Lets be honest Scotland won it for Leon and Wales could do it in the same way for Lloyd especially now that Lucie is gone!
    btw i hated Leon n was a big Rhydian fan!!!

In fairness to Jedward and more so Louis(im not his biggest fan either)if you were to look at song choices over the 6 weeks Louis has done the best of the judges with perhaps only Simons choices for Danyl coming close?In terms of song choices for their acts i would definitely grade the judges as 1. Louis 2 Simon 3 Dannii and way way behind Cheryl.

Was it because we were all put off by her beauty last year or was someone else choosing the songs for the girls cos she didn't seem bad at all last year.And i aint buying her line im used to girls ive never had boys before!

It doesn't do him any harm, but his lack of a decent word says a lot to me about Ronan.

Why though? Why should he lie and say he thinks they're great? He doesn't. I personally think Boyzone are the greatest load of shíte to ever come out of this country and thats not going to change simply because they're an Irish act. You've commented more than once on the boys nationality as a reason for the country to support them but its irrelevant. People should support them if they like them.

It would say a lot more about Ronan had he lied about what he thought of them. Instead he was honest and he shouldn't be derided for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 starfish1

nah i'd say lloyd will go next week or the week after-the past winners have never been in the bottom two,leona and alexandra weren't anyway besides he's the weakest male vocalist there-john and edward probably have a better chance of winning than him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Not2Sure

Amazed the power of tv, example : a show strugles to find 12 good act's, resorts to promoting 2 boys who want to be exploted.Tell's the veiwers they are crap and 3 weeks later mass hysteria takes over judges procliam the boys are good, debate created through tv and newspapers (those with low readership numbers hit by the internet) and the crowd follows, xfactor the current masters of "Crowd Control"

Is Louis a successful manager???? Judge for yourself

List of groups and performers managed by Walsh
    Walsh manages and has managed many singers and groups, including: What odds on Jedward 2009 - 2011 (Now defunct) ?????

Don't want any death threats or abuse just a bit of a laugh !!!! Im even giving them 2 years of fame !!!

To be honest, I hope the boys head for tv. We all know they aren't great singers. They'd be fantastic on kids tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

To be honest, I hope the boys head for tv. We all know they aren't great singers. They'd be fantastic on kids tv.

I'd be very surprised if that's the route they don't take. Their first year will be crucial in deciding if there's any longevity there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

It was John that Simon said was particularly annoying and vile in the audtions wasn't it ???? They are John and Edward as in left to right as in Ant and Dec?
    Yea thats the easiest way to tell them apart but they dont always stand like that, Ill double check but I think the sky interview it was Edward on the left.
    Obviously one couldn't survive without the other but John definitely seems to be the brains of the operation. Seriously look back on their performances and you will notice Edward is always slightly off and keeps looking at John.
    I just watched their videos now. John sings alot more than Edward, so im sure theres a reason. Unless I had them mixed up I thought I heard Edward sing and he had a better tone to his voice, could have been wrong. Ad Edward is normally the one behind but John sometimes seems t do something completely different :P I dunno!
    Are the people who defend the twins related to them or do they get money for defending them?
    That question seems more suited to the Lloyd fans, if you can find any.

Also not sure who said it about Louis but just quicky copied and pasted this now off some site, makes him sound a great manger :D
    Louis Walsh is the undisputed king of the Irish pop scene. He is the man behind many successful pop groups, masterminding the careers of Boyzone, Westlife, Samantha Mumba, Girls Aloud and Shayne Ward. The fact that he has achieved a staggering 28 number one hits is a testament to his success and is one of the reasons why Louis Walsh is one of the most respected names in the music industry today.

Louis first taste of success came when he spotted an artist called Johnny Logan. Louis was convinced that Logan could be a big hit if he was given the right break and persuaded him to sing at The Eurovision Song Contest. His gamble paid off and in 1980 Johnny Logan won the 25th Eurovision Song Contest in front of 500 million viewers. Logan's first album sold half a million copies within three days of its release, catapulting Logan to Number 1 in eleven European countries. With a number one artist already under his belt, Louis was ready for his next challenge.

Louis hit the big time with Boyzone achieved 16 top three singles, six of which were Number 1's and four Number 1 albums, selling over 12 million copies worldwide. When Ronan Keating announced he wanted to take a break from Boyzone, Louis continued to manage his career, helping him to score a Number 1 hit with ‘Life is a Rollercoaster' in 2000. Ronan's solo album shot to Number 1 and a further two hit singles were released from the album, which went on to sell over 4.4 million copies.

Louis' next discovery, Westlife, proved a hit from the start. Record companies were falling over themselves to sign the band and in 1998 Simon Cowell of RCA signed them up in a multi-million pound deal. Their first single ‘Swear it Again' reached Number 1 in the UK charts and their next 6 singles all followed suit. The group currently holds the record for achieving the most consecutive number 1 singles. Under Louis' guidance, Westlife have accumulated an overwhelming 13 UK Number 1's and six number 1 selling albums.

In 2001, Louis made his first foray into television on the Irish version of Popstars. The show made Louis a household name in both Ireland and the UK. The following year, Louis appeared as a judge on Popstars: The Rivals, along with Pete Waterman and Geri Halliwell. Louis went head to head with Pete Waterman on the show, with his all girl band Girls Aloud battling it out with Pete's boy band, One True Voice. Girls Aloud won hands down and their debut single achieved the coveted UK Christmas Number 1. Louis continues to manage the group, who went on to achieve a million single sales while their debut album went platinum.

In 2004 Louis first appeared as a judge on The X Factor, and found chart success with G4, who have gone on to have two chart topping platinum selling albums. In 2005 he found success again X Factor winner Shayne Ward, whose debut single That's My Goal spent four weeks at number one and whose debut album has sold over 3 million copies to date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement