Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

walshb wrote: »
    Goons?

The fact is that the British Public obviously see something with them.
    It's amazing, the ones who seem to be so against them are the bloody
    Irish. Typical!

Anyone who says these lads cannot entertain are missing a whole lot.
    And, they are genuinely easy going, innocent and very likable lads.

Star Quality! You cannot train to get it, it's innate.

Clearly they aren't very likable lads, considering the fact that a lot of people dislike them. They're there because the press love them. Same thing with Susan Boyle. She wasn't the best act, and didn't even win. But it was her story that kept her in the competition. The whole Hairy Angel thing and subsequent meltdowns and stuff.

A few weeks ago, there was a story about John and Edward in the paper, about how they were born prematurely and almost died. This was a front page story in the Mirror. Something that nearly happened 18 years ago made the front page of a newspaper.

That is why they're still in the competition. It's not Star Quality. It's Publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Clearly they aren't very likable lads, considering the fact that a lot of people dislike them. They're there because the press love them. Same thing with Susan Boyle. She wasn't the best act, and didn't even win. But it was her story that kept her in the competition. The whole Hairy Angel thing and subsequent meltdowns and stuff.

A few weeks ago, there was a story about John and Edward in the paper, about how they were born prematurely and almost died. This was a front page story in the Mirror. Something that nearly happened 18 years ago made the front page of a newspaper.

That is why they're still in the competition. It's not Star Quality. It's Publicity.
    And why would folks dislike them?

It's not like they are twats or rude or ignorant or unpleasant. Maybe, it's the typical jealousy and begrudgery of their success.

Same with the great Muhammad Ali. Folks were jealous of his star quality in the beginning.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

This 'teenage girl' sterotype is starting to get annoying... Teenage girl speaking here, that wants Lloyd out of the competition as soon as possible!
    And I think the biggest percentage of people that would buy cds from X Factor contestants would be teenage girls, so why not let them have as much say in who gets to stay?
    Oh Leons year I only watched the final :P Well I youtubed odd videos. But I think the x Factor is more looking for a pop singer and Same Difference were just.. Fairness actually if they could get so far theres hope for Jedward yet :) Rhydian I dont think would have appealed to that audience as well, hes just a different kind of singer. Thats kinda what didnt help Leon too though, coz although he was kinda pop but very jazz iswell...... Oh I dunno just making this up as I go along :P

Looks to be trouble over the theme
    Brian Friedman has admitted that the latest X Factor theme has been changed several times by producers.
    The creative director confessed that he only heard late on Monday night about the final decision, which is rumoured to be either Motown, Love Songs or Soul.
    "The theme has been changed about six times," he told The Mirror. "I only received the final song choices by text 20 minutes ago. I was supposed to have the routines ready by Tuesday morning but it's not going to happen because I didn't even know what they were singing until now!"
    Some of the themes rumoured to have been considered include Elton John and Wham!
    Mariah Carey and Britain's Got Talent star Susan Boyle will be the special guests on Sunday's results show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

PLEASE BE MOTOWN! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

• Advertisement

Lmfao!!!
    I think they have a great future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

deise_girl wrote: »
    This 'teenage girl' sterotype is starting to get annoying... Teenage girl speaking here, that wants Lloyd out of the competition as soon as possible!
    i never said ALL teenage girls, i just said he was voted in by teenage girls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

come on danyl

• Registered Users Posts: 43,878 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Since when were The Beatles considered a "boy-band"..! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Teenage girl speaking here, that wants Lloyd out of the competition as soon as possible!

You are clearly a more intelligent type of teenage girl though. n txtspk frm u.

• Advertisement

The Beatles considered a "boy-band"

Definitely in the early days. The screaming, remember?

Although young man band would be more accurate. I spose.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's not like they are twats or rude or ignorant or unpleasant. Maybe, it's the typical jealousy and begrudgery of their success.

Same with the great Muhammad Ali. Folks were jealous of his star quality in the beginning.

I think they're twats. Personal opinion of course, but they just annoyed me from Day 1. Not to mention all the media attention being given to them. Seeing them pretty much on the front page of all the tabloids every day, one paper had an 8 page pullout dedicated to them, clips of them constantly being shown etc, when its just not warranted. There were even loads of people dressed as them for Halloween.

For a show like X Factor, their singing is below average for the stages they've reached. Trust me, I'm not jealous of them. And if they find success, fair play to them. but to me, they are the equivalent of The Cheeky Girls. Nothing but a poor novelty act who are more entertaining for their antics rather than their singing, even though its a singing competition.

And seriously, are you honestly comparing John and Edward... to Muhammad Ali? Really? Possibly THE Greatest boxer of all time (bar maybe Sugar Ray Robinson). You obviously like John and Edward. Fair enough. But come on, just because some people don't like them doesn't mean they're jealous of them. It just means they don't like them. Same way I'm not jealous of The Cheeky Girls. I just don't like them.

INot to mention all the media attention being given to them. Seeing them pretty much on the front page of all the tabloids every day, one paper had an 8 page pullout dedicated to them, clips of them constantly being shown etc, when its just not warranted. There were even loads of people dressed as them for Halloween.

For a show like X Factor, their singing is below average for the stages they've reached. Trust me, I'm not jealous of them. And if they find success, fair play to them. but to me, they are the equivalent of The Cheeky Girls. Nothing but a poor novelty act who are more entertaining for their antics rather than their singing, even though its a singing competition.

And seriously, are you honestly comparing John and Edward... to Muhammad Ali? Really? Possibly THE Greatest boxer of all time (bar maybe Sugar Ray Robinson). You obviously like John and Edward. Fair enough. But come on, just because some people don't like them doesn't mean they're jealous of them. It just means they don't like them. Same way I'm not jealous of The Cheeky Girls. I just don't like them.
    Look, it's not their fault that the media has gone crazy about them. That's a bit of a lame reason to slate them.

To me, that is simply begrudging their success and popularity, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭mufc4lfe

Dont compare my hero Muhammad Ali to those Jedward Swines!!How could any sane person think of a absolute legend Muhammad Ali;regarded by many as the greatest boxer of all time,3-time former heavyweight boxing world champion,the man who defeated Sonny Liston and George Foreman against all the odds,the man who rejected induction into the American army because he thought the Vietnam war wasn't just(knowing he would do time in prison for what he believed in during the peak of his boxing career)and of course he proberly single handedly began the civil rights movement in the 70s at a time when rasism was a huge issue in society.
    John and Edward Grimes on the other hand are two twins from Dublin who entered the x factor for the laugh.They cant sing and got put through to the live shows because Louis Walsh wanted to take a bit of piss out of the show!You call that"star quality":confused:
    Christ almighty comparing Ali to those gimps is like comparing Jessica Alba to F:@KING Mary Harney!!!:mad:

mufc4lfe wrote: »
    Dont compare my hero Muhammad Ali to those Jedward Swines!!How could any sane person think of a absolute legend Muhammad Ali;regarded by many as the greatest boxer of all time,3-time former heavyweight boxing world champion,the man who defeated Sonny Liston and George Foreman against all the odds,the man who rejected induction into the American army because he thought the Vietnam war wasn't just(knowing he would do time in prison during the peak of his boxing career)and of course he proberly single handedly began the civil rights movement in the 70s at a time when rasism was a huge issue in society.
    Christ almighty comparing Ali to those gimps is like comparing Jessica Alba to F:@KING Mary Harney!!!:mad:

Hey, he's a hero to me too. I wasn't really comparing. I simply see Star Quality with Jedward. There's just something with them that's a whole lot better than
    any of the other X Factor acts.

John and Edward Grimes on the other hand are two twins from Dublin who entered the x factor for the laugh.They cant sing and got put through to the live shows because Louis Walsh wanted to take a bit of piss out of the show!
    Theres where your wrong. Have you eever heard John and Edward speak?? They're taking this 100% seriously, no goofing around. You can see it when theyre theyre talking how much this means to them, and their so innocent/naive about it thats what gives them such likability.

I never understood this hate John and Edward in audititons/bootcamp/judges house, we didnt know anything about them then but people jumped the gun that they were 'horrible' people.

Hey, he's a hero to me too. I wasn't really comparing. I simply see Star Quality with Jedward. There's just something with them that's a whole lot better than
    any of the other X Factor acts.
    THEY CANT SING!!!They perform a routine "badly" on stage each week!Do you call that jumping around and cartwheeling star quality?There a whole lot better than any of the other X Factor acts?Ahhhh OLLY MURS!

There seems to be a Mohammed Ali vs JEdward competition on this thread. Who is best? Who is the star?

lets sort if out the Harry Hill way!!

FIGHT!!!!

Theres where your wrong. Have you eever heard John and Edward speak?? They're taking this 100% seriously, no goofing around. You can see it when theyre theyre talking how much this means to them, and their so innocent/naive about it thats what gives them such likability.

I never understood this hate John and Edward in audititons/bootcamp/judges house, we didnt know anything about them then but people jumped the gun that they were 'horrible' people.

+1...In the initial audition they were so funny. I loved it when Cheryl asked how they see themselves in a few years, and one of them said, "I see myself as older." Priceless

Anyway, since then, they have really come on. You can see the maturity each week, the confidence and the polished look. They are getting stronger each week and last week showed this, as even the crowd were erupting.

But, some folks will refuse to give credit because maybe they don't want to admit that they are warming to the lads. When I first saw them, I didn't like them, but on reflection and after seeing all they have went thru, all the negativity, booing and bad press, and still the lads are smiling and entertaining; that is pure class, and star quality. They have it in spades.

asdasd wrote: »
    There seems to be a Mohammed Ali vs JEdward competition on this thread. Who is best? Who is the star?

lets sort if out the Harry Hill way!!

FIGHT!!!!

Who is this guy?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

There a whole lot better than any of the other X Factor acts?Ahhhh OLLY MURS!

Are you joking? He dances like an old lad at a wedding who forgot his meds.

Who is this guy?

Forgot I was talking to a boxing expert. I am shamed.

asdasd wrote: »
    Forgot I was talking to a boxing expert. I am shamed.

Ah now c'mon, you don't need to be a boxing expert for that one.....:)

Im not saying there horribe people Im sure they are really sound guys all im saying is people cant say they have star quality when they clearly have no talent at all!

Im not saying there horribe people Im sure they are really sound guys all im saying is people cant say they have star quality when they clearly have no talent at all!

If they had no talent at all, they wouldn't have made it this far. C'mon, maybe they aren't Elvis Presley talented, but it's not like they have no talent. Hey, I am not a big Bono fan. I don't think he's a singer, and as a performer, he doesn't do it for me, but he's not talentless. He still puts on a show and tries his ass off. The lads put on a show, they entertain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 cleveroli

Can I just say that they sang LIVE on sky news and they actually have got nice voices - tell me any other singer that wud do that with no music/warning etc. I think the news reader was trying to take the piss but he even admitted that they were good. I wonder if they were ENGLISH twins wud the backlash be as bad?? Ive just read some of the comment boards and theres a lot of messages saying that the IRISH should not be allowed to vote - by the way I hope JOE wins but Id like the twins to come third and as for OLIE? HE COULDNT SING A NOTE ON SATURDAY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Personally I think the two of them are the most talentless twats in the whole thing. to get this far is beyond a joke. They come across as these clean cut, never do anything wrong crappy image. The sooner their 5 minutes is up the better. Making a mockery of an ok show.

John and Edward Grimes on the other hand are two twins from Dublin who entered the x factor for the laugh.They cant sing and got put through to the live shows because Louis Walsh wanted to take a bit of piss out of the show!You call that"star quality":confused:
    Atleast you have your priorities in order....

They aren't terrible singers. Simon would have given a yes at audition if they had just sung, im almost sure. I think theyre okay, certainly not the best but i'd have them on par with Lloyd. And better then Lloyd is the stage presence, they're not scared of the audience. I think that helps them stand out from the crowd, they're completely comfortable to dance around infront of 10mill+ viewers. Its the star quality that makes people think theyre great :) They are fearless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

cleveroli wrote: »
    Can I just say that they sang LIVE on sky news and they actually have got nice voices - tell me any other singer that wud do that with no music/warning etc. I think the news reader was trying to take the piss but he even admitted that they were good.
    Posted again just for those that haven't read through all the previous posts.

• Advertisement

I heard the end part is now in the sky news advert??
    The bit where John goes "..This is soo cool.." And Edward says "..Hey grandad" Going to have to check. Lol if its true on ads already :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement