Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

deise_girl wrote: »
    I heard the end part is now in the sky news advert??
    The bit where John goes "..This is soo cool.." And Edward says "..Hey grandad" Going to have to check. Lol if its true on ads already :P
    Its true LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Just watching John and edwards performance "under pressure" again.
    Woow, they are soooo.. funny yet they have good vocals!

And I got time to watch the Sky News interview. Seem really nice guys and sang really well :).

Oh, I heard on Spin South West that this weeks theme is
    Wham/George Michael
    and Jedward are rumoured to be doing a
    Wham rap!?
    Not sure how true it is though. And sorry if its been already posted :P!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Wham/George Michael
    and Jedward are rumoured to be doing a
    Wham rap!?
    Not sure how true it is though. And sorry if its been already posted :P!

Nah, it's been changed about six times this week. Apparently it's either
    Motown, Love Songs or soul

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/xfactor/news/a187321/friedman-reveals-chaos-over-theme-prog.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

neil2304 wrote: »
    Nah, it's been changed about six times this week. Apparently it's either
    Motown, Love Songs or soul

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/xfactor/news/a187321/friedman-reveals-chaos-over-theme-prog.html
    Motown??

Oh for the love of god.... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I keep rewatching Saturday night's performance. About 26 seconds in, John does this little wink...it sets my heart aflutter! He's 6 years younger than me ffs! My bf is seriously going mad at this stage :o

Also, the reports today in the press about their mics being turned down are a load of crap, you can hear their voices clearly the whole way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,513 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I keep rewatching Saturday night's performance. About 26 seconds in, John does this little wink...it sets my heart aflutter! He's 6 years younger than me ffs! My bf is seriously going mad at this stage :o

Also, the reports today in the press about their mics being turned down are a load of crap, you can hear their voices clearly the whole way through.

Yeah, and the Sky News piece shows them doing their bit with nothing in the background and they sound quite good. These guys, at this moment in time, are stars. It's written all over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭Penn

walshb wrote: »
    Look, it's not their fault that the media has gone crazy about them. That's a bit of a lame reason to slate them.

To me, that is simply begrudging their success and popularity, that's all.

Again, I don't begrudge their success. But most of the positive comments I've read are "They're funny" "They're entertaining" "They're just having a laugh".

Its a singing competition. And they aren't good enough to win. Not to mention the fact that during Queen week, they rapped! They did a Vanilla Ice rap ffs. One of the greatest bands and group of songwriters in the world, and they do a Vanilla Ice rap because the song they're singing uses the same bass line. They're making a mockery of the competition.

Look, they were MADE for something like Britains Got Talent. But not X Factor. Especially if even half the rumours of the producers helping them survive week after week. Its not fair. Like you said, its not their fault if the producers are helping them, or that the media love them.

But even though thats not really their fault, I still don't like them. I've never found them funny. The "Where do you see yourself in X years?" "Older" joke has been round for ages. I've used it so much that I actually got sick of it. And the Queen joke they made this week made me groan. Their hair is ridiculous. They're smug. They sang over another contestants bit in the boot camp stage. They constantly interrupt people on the Xtra Factor.

And again, I must reiterate the point that I'm not jealous and I don't begrudge them any success. But come on! They're a novelty act. Cheeky Girls. They are the new Cheeky Girls. Only difference is they can sing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Have to say I've gone off them a bit since I watched the VT of all the contestants cooking at Halloween.
    Edward was grand, but John was pretty rude to the woman helping them cook. Showed his brattish side tbh.

Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxYpad69cms

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Why did she call John "Jedward"?

Shouldn't she at least know people's names that she's working with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Didn't Olly who has known them for months mistakingly call one of them by the wrong name? :p

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    Why did she call John "Jedward"?

Shouldn't she at least know people's names that she's working with?

I'm sure she was joking, it's a small thing to get so mad over isn't it? The withering look he gave her!
    And do you not think he's sneering at her the whole way through it?

Maybe he was having a bad day, but it's just put me off him a bit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I think hes only half serious or it must have been a bad day.
    But in most videos Edward jokes more than John,maybe he just takes his cooking serious :P Im sure he isnt really like that coz they dont seem that kinda people. Well im not going to turn against them for it anyhow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

yeah, unfortunately you can hear their voices the whole way through . . .
    wish the mikes were turned down !!!!
    Great entertainment though!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

Why do people think x-factor is a singing competition.
    Clearly its not.
    Otherwise they wouldnt have all the dire acts at the auditions.

Its more about the judges than the contestants.

Its a soap opera, not a singing competition. Anyone saying its a singing competition obviously isnt watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Have to say I've gone off them a bit since I watched the VT of all the contestants cooking at Halloween.
    Edward was grand, but John was pretty rude to the woman helping them cook. Showed his brattish side tbh.

Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxYpad69cms

I love Jedward!!!!! "Its John"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Why do people think x-factor is a singing competition.
    Clearly its not.
    Otherwise they wouldnt have all the dire acts at the auditions.

Its more about the judges than the contestants.

Its a soap opera, not a singing competition. Anyone saying its a singing competition obviously isnt watching.
    And you obviously never watched it before this season

It was always primarily about finding a great new singer, but since last year its just turned into a circus

It is a singing competition. It's just being exploited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Flat2dmat

This thread seems to be more of a "John & Edward appreciation thread" than an X Factor thread.

Is it because they're Irish that everyone jumped on the band wagon to support them or is the pity vote?
    It can't be the talent vote anyway.

For all their fans, can they not see that it isn't the twins who are doing a "great" performance every week? it's 100% the effort put into the show by the choreographer, the stage people etc etc. take all that away and put the twins on a bare stage with no backing track, then see how brilliant, talented etc etc they would be.
    They're like the human version of Zig and Zag but not as funny!

As for the rest of the contestants, glad the afro left - he was awful and cliched (can't do the accent) and definitely not a rocker. Lloyd needs to go, prob this week, as he only stays in because young girls fancy him. Stacey was only really good last wknd, so maybe some potential there, but can't stand it when she stops singing and starts talking.
    Joe is consistently good but not as strong a voice as I'd like, wouldn't listen to him on CD. Olly is good all round, very like Robbie Williams but think he may get a big ego very quickly. I'd say if he makes it to the final then he will be successful, even if it's just for a year. Danyl is my favourite, very talented. His personality can be a bit annoying (all that jumping around he does in the group song etc) but he's the only one that will have a great album, especially if Simon looks after him.

My top three for the final: Danyl, Olly and Stacey.

As annoying as the twins are, they'll probably survive another week or two, keeping the teeny boppers happy.

Theme this week is
    Wham
    Twins are apparently singing
    Wham rap
    which I've never heard of!

Another crap theme, they really need to stop having such restrictive themes :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Theme this week is
    Wham
    Twins are apparently singing
    Wham rap
    which I've never heard of!

Official update of the songs: Changed.
    See Irish Independent Article below:
    NOTHING travels faster than light, but that theory was tested yesterday by the speed at which rumours concerning the whereabouts of the Grimes twins spread.
    From the moment 'The X-Factor' brothers touched down in Dublin Airport on Monday night, a wild, erm, Grimes chase ensued with new leads on their location swiftly followed by dead ends.
    The pair, who will perform
    'I'm Your Man' by George Michael
    this weekend, were home for the first time since reaching the finals of the UK talent show to film a community feature.
    'X Factor' judge Louis Walsh shot down rumours his protégés John and Edward Grimes, known collectively as 'Jedward', were due to appear as Westlife turned on the Christmas lights on Grafton Street, Dublin.
    However, the pop guru said he feels they have what it takes to become multi-millionaires in America.
    In an exclusive interview with the Irish Independent, the pop impresario said offers were already flooding in for the twins who have captured attention with their dubious singing talents, energetic dancing and sky-high blonde quiffs.
    "It could be TV. There's people talking about them doing phone deals, pantomimes, books, records, hair deals," he said.
    "I think if they were in America they would be multi, multi-millionaires. Because they're so clean cut, they're so nice. They're unique. Everything about them," he said.
    'Jedward' began their day bright and early in Dublin's Institute of Education with their old classmates and teachers.
    But by yesterday afternoon the rumour mill was running at full tilt and around 200 people were left disappointed outside the boys' local supermarket in Lucan, having anticipated their arrival.
    There was another anti-climax in the nearby Lord Lucan pub, which has been converted into a supporters' club for the 18-year-olds, when a supposed drop-in failed to materialise.
    It is understood they spent most of the day with their family before departing for London at around 7pm last night.
    Darragh Tuite from Blanchardstown and Stephen Fitzpatrick from Lucan, both 18, are friends with the boys and were looking forward to seeing them outside Superquinn for the first time since 'The X-Factor' began.
    Superquinn are baking 'Jedward' cakes on a weekly basis and handing them over to customers in The Lord Lucan for the weekend show.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/jedward-visit-rumours-spark-fan-frenzy-1946478.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Flat2dmat wrote: »
    This thread seems to be more of a "John & Edward appreciation thread" than an X Factor thread.

That's what happens when an act is popular, they're bound to be the most talked about.
    Is it because they're Irish that everyone jumped on the band wagon to support them or is the pity vote?
    It can't be the talent vote anyway.

For me it's nothing to do with them being Irish. Not a pity vote either. They have talent, they provide entertainment, not everyone can do that. They make me laugh every single week and I really enjoy their performance. They're the ones I most look forward to watching.
    For all their fans, can they not see that it isn't the twins who are doing a "great" performance every week? it's 100% the effort put into the show by the choreographer, the stage people etc etc. take all that away and put the twins on a bare stage with no backing track, then see how brilliant, talented etc etc they would be.
    They're like the human version of Zig and Zag but not as funny!

As annoying as the twins are, they'll probably survive another week or two, keeping the teeny boppers happy.

You rarely get any performance where it's solely just raw singing. Of course the stage, the track, the dancing add to it, it's the whole package. What's wrong with that? It's entertainment to a lot of people. It's been a long time since I've been a teeny bopper too :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Emmmooo

So what is the theme this week Love songs or Soul???
    Either will suit Danyl i suppose,love songs will suit Joe and Stacey so might be awkward week for Olly?Although suppose he did great version of superstitious in his audition so probably won't be a problem.

Cant even begin to think what the Twins will attempt and i hope whatever Lloyd attempts to butcher that he makes a proper mess of it and makes a well overdue exit!

I see also on DS that some people think Simon stitched Jamie up last week.They reckon he gave a bad Queen song,no choir no gimmicks just him out of his own and knowing the backlash from the week before he was going to lose an act so Jamie was his sacrifical lamb. They could be right.........

Emmmooo wrote: »
    So what is the theme this week Love songs or Soul???
    Either will suit Danyl i suppose,love songs will suit Joe and Stacey so might be awkward week for Olly?Although suppose he did great version of superstitious in his audition so probably won't be a problem.

Cant even begin to think what the Twins will attempt and i hope whatever Lloyd attempts to butcher that he makes a proper mess of it and makes a well overdue exit!

I see also on DS that some people think Simon stitched Jamie up last week.They reckon he gave a bad Queen song,no choir no gimmicks just him out of his own and knowing the backlash from the week before he was going to lose an act so Jamie was his sacrifical lamb. They could be right.........

Neither, look up!

A guy on Gerry Ryan right now from Swiftcall (I think?) They've set up a 1515 number from this weekend that re-routes to the UK voting numbers. Did a google and saw this on Today FM's website:
    Swiftcall Ireland have figured out a way for us to vote for Jedward. Ciaran Rooney from Swiftcall says they have found a way to bounce Irish phone calls to their London switchboard which can then bounce the call through to the X factor voting lines. A rep from the X Factor said they have a very sophisticated phone system that blocks all calls from coming through from outside the UK but they would look into Swiftcalls claims. If you want to try to vote for Jedward the number is 1515 30 11 05

EDIT: This has actually been up and running since last weekend but they haven't promoted it much...so if it's already been posted, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

those 1515 numbers are normally €2/min
    i'd rather donate money to charity than to simon cowell

Must be going blind can't see it what is it ?????

Wham week

AHHH Its covered up by spoiler alert!!! C'mon its only the theme not even what songs they're singing!

Very poor work by the producers to leave it so late to decide you would think these things had been decided weeks ago?

Just seen on DS what it is oh my God some major cheese this weekend!!! The twins have got to sing(well u know what i mean) **** ** ** ****** *** ** **!!!

Joe will be happy with that choice as will Danyl & im sure theres something upbeat Olly can get his teeth into.Stacey will be able to adapt something there so hopefully its bye bye bye Lloyd!! Haha just thinkin what if Cheryl has 1st choice this week n chooses what i said the twins should sing can u imagine it!!!

I reckon Lloyd WILL sing the song you picked for Jedward. They're apparently singing something different.

The themes are so old fashioned. How are they supposed to determine how "relevant" an act is going to be if they're giving them 70s and 80s songs to sing. Ridiculous.

btw for any of u im a celeb fans that camilla one has left

• Advertisement

Are they really doing Wham Rap?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement