Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2009

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Maybe it was planned for the run up to Cheryl's "performance" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Essentially Cheryl was chosen for her beauty, which is fine...but she shouldn't be paraded as this musical talent. She simply isn't musically talented, particularly when compared with the majority of people she passes judgement on.

At least there is some logic for having Cheryl as a judge i.e. gorgeous, serious chart success and she herself had to jump through the hoops of the same type of show e.t.c

But I'm still at a loss as to why Danni is there, maybe it was because of this!! I dont like being too critical on Dannii but her sitting there telling amazing singers that they were "a little pitchy" gets my goat, I believe that Simon is raging as if Cheryl was available a year earlier then Dannii would never have gotten a look in.

I think Simons biggest flaw was the organic nature in which the judging panel came about. Louis being re-hired was a mistake, pity Sharon could'nt stay on, getting Cheryl was great but there is a terrible chemistry between her and Dannii.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

At least there is some logic for having Cheryl as a judge i.e. gorgeous, serious chart success and she herself had to jump through the hoops of the same type of show e.t.c

Ah but having gone through the show gives her a sense of empathy, it doesn't mean she knows her arse from her elbow when it comes to talent. The fact that she's gorgeous is pretty irrelevant tbh.
    But I'm still at a loss as to why Danni is there, maybe it was because of this!! I dont like being too critical on Dannii but her sitting there telling amazing singers that they were "a little pitchy" gets my goat, I believe that Simon is raging as if Cheryl was available a year earlier then Dannii would never have gotten a look in.

I agree with you on Dannii. I don't think she has any right to tell people they can or can't sing. Cheryl does it too though. She's had chart success with a girlband relying on one singer, not her own talent. As for Simon being raging...I doubt that very much. He could get rid of her tomorrow no questions asked. She's actually a good ratings winner. People watch to see the friction between her and her fellow judges. Simon nabbed Cheryl at the right time...she's gained far more exposure over her husbands alleged affair and as such she had public sympathy and her assaulting a toilet attendant was pretty much forgotten.

The Louis stuff was all for publicity and I wouldn't be surprised if Dannii is gone next year and Sharon is back. Simon plays things however he wants. To think otherwise would be naive.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    The Louis stuff was all for publicity and I wouldn't be surprised if Dannii is gone next year and Sharon is back. Simon plays things however he wants. To think otherwise would be naive.

Okay, to imply that Simon would not cut one of the judges in a heartbeat maybe a tad naive (Kelly Brook was axed before she even got on the telly!!) but to say that Cheryl being gorgeous = irrelevant, is naive also, not only does it attract male viewers for obvious reasons, the females love her for some reason, my GF is always going on about how good her hair is :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I have to be honest and say that I wasn't much of a fan of Cheyrl until she started on the X Factor. I always preferred Sarah Hardon and Kimberly from Girls Aloud. But I think Cheyrl has been a good pick for the judges. At least IMHO.

I like Louis on the judging panel. I think they like to play up that there's a dislike between Simon and Louis but I don't think there is. I remember seeing a short series of clips from this years show and the intro was about how they shouldn't sit Simon and Louis beside each other. The whole time they were joking and laughing with each other. Not exactly a trademark of two people who dislike each other. I also remember hearing Simon refer to him as "Lou Lou" in an interview which is what some of the other judges refer to him as and it seems to be a nick-name or term of affection, which again makes me think they're good buddies. Louis has even said so himself.

Danni I'm not sure about. I was coming around to her and then she went and had a dig at Danyl about him being gay or bisexual and despite their denials that it made him upset, it obviously did.

It's hard to pick a winner this year. Danyl and Joe will get the girls votes based on their looks, although they're both good singers. Lucie Jones is a good singer but I can't get over how hot she is. Yer one Stacey is a very good singer and seems like she's good craic based on how she talks. I think though that Jamie Afro is my favourite. There's something about his face or eyes that when he's singing that you just want to look at. But then yer man Olly is really good too. Ah, I don't know :D

One think I do know is, I hope Holly stays on as the Xtra Factor host. There's rumours that she's leaving. It's a shame, she's good at that. I also don't know any guy who doesn't like her. I also know hardly any girl that does! :) I'm not sure though why. She seems easy going, would be good craic on a night out, she's actually funny and is good looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

the females love her for some reason, my GF is always going on about how good her hair is :-p

She really does have great hair:D shes way too skinny imo though but she has got great hair:D

I definately agree that Alexandra Burke was miming on Saturday night. I thought it was a bit ridiculous tbh. My oh couldnt understand why,but imo if you win a show thats based on you singing LIVE every week then you should really come back and sing LIVE. Don't get me wrong I thought her performance was still good but she should have sang live. I actually thought she sang the last few lines of it live for some reason the sound just seemed to change near the end.

Its hard to pick a winner this year as there are loads of great acts in the girls group Stacey and Lucy are very good thought rachels performance last saturday was brutal.
    In the boys i think joe and ricky are brilliant lloyd is rubbish.
    In the overs the only one I like is olly, danyl is a great singer but is too cocky there is just something about him i dont like and the same with jamie afro, hes not that great a singer but I think he thinks hes better than he is.
    In the groups i thought kandy rain were good but they are gone now the twins i have to say i thought they were rubbish but they pulled it off on saturday even though they messed up their words. miss frank arnt the worst but cant see them winning it at all.

if i had to pick a winner it would be one of the girls stacy or lucy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

At least they can move around the stage with some fluidity, unlike Llyod. I thought he was terrible on Saturday night - looked bad in terms of stiff movement and nerves, and sang poorly too. Couldn't believe it when the judges gave him positive reviews after it - I thought he was one of the worst on the night.

The twins were also poor vocally, though some parts of the song they actually did well - the song suited them i think. They also moved round the stage like they had some idea what they were doing. The bits on Sunday night were good too I thought. Don't think they will last long, but they ain't as bad as I though - if the songs are selected right for them. They are really unlikable though.

Yeah that really annoy'd me about them giving Lloyd a load of good comments, it was clear as anything he was the worst singer of the night.

The twins were by far way better than Lloyd and even Ricki for that matter, god what were those to performances about!
    Okay so they(the twins) wont win the show overall, but i still think they should be given a proper chance at it , and all the judges slating them and the way Simon acted when they got through to next weeks show, was shocking, they are only 17 in the end of the day.. just kids, way to harsh on them, and tbh they all played a role in them getting thru to the live finals, so quite the bitching, Louis didnt have the only role to play in it.

I really really was won over by them at the weekend, and they were great in the group preformance, and loved them on the xtra-factor, they could have a career like Ant and Dec, totally rubbish music and then get into Kid tv presenting, I think they would be great at that tbh! id watch em anyways!
    I think as a whole the groups are the strongest category but if I was to choose individual acts that I think are the fore-runners I'd pick Lucie or Joe, wouldn't pick any of the overs.

Ehhhhh the groups the stongest, nooo way , they are actually the weakest imo, closely followed by the boys.. (just dont like llyod or ricki) .. and really cant warm to Miss Frank, i like graziella (sp) but the other two are just shadows

winner for me this year, will be in the over's

I'm not mad keen on Miss Frank either. The short one is just out for herself and is a very annoying dancer. But I've already said that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bubblefizz

I'm not mad keen on Miss Frank either. The short one is just out for herself and is a very annoying dancer. But I've already said that :D

I defo think Miss Frank have a good chance though. Graziella is the backbone of the band!!!! As regard to Lloyd i think he is a really good singer- a million times better than the twins come on. I think that it will be between the twins next week and ricki in the sing off!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,867 ✭✭✭✭Basq

And the award for the most obvious news story goes to...
    Cheryl Cole will reportedly mime parts of her debut solo single when she performs on The X Factor this weekend.

According to the Daily Mail, the Girls Aloud star will rely on pre-recorded vocals when she takes to the stage to promote her new song 'Fight For This Love'. It is thought that she will only sing live at certain moments in the performance.

An insider said: "Cheryl is the breakout star of Girls Aloud and there are big plans for her. Nobody - neither on The X Factor nor her record label Polydor - wants to see her fail, which is why we thought it was better for Cheryl to mime her performance.

"But, of course, Cheryl will be heavily criticised for not singing live and then returning to her judge's chair to cast judgement on the hopefuls, who will have spent all week rehearsing and battling nerves."

Yesterday, show producers confirmed that Cole will record her performance hours before broadcast "to ensure she can fully continue with her judging commitments on The X Factor later that evening".

The news followed rumours that Cole was "in a blind panic" over singing on the programme.

SAY IT AIN'T SO CHERYL... SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I don't blame her tbh. It's her first solo single of her new album (I think), there's huge pressure on it doing well. Plus Whitney Heuston is on after her. Fair play to her for getting up at all.

Alexandra mimed hers so she could dance during her performance. nothing much was said about that, I find that worse really.

Robbie sang live, to the people saying he was drugged up - I don't think he was, he is known to get really bad stage fright and he just seemed ecstactic that he got through the song and got a warm reception from the crowd, he was on cloud 9 with adrenaline, not on drugs. I heard the door wouldn't open when he was going on stage to sing, that would throw anyone off.

Cathooo wrote: »
    I don't blame her tbh. It's her first solo single of her new album (I think), there's huge pressure on it doing well. Plus Whitney Heuston is on after her. Fair play to her for getting up at all.
    To be fair... there's absolutely no excuse for not singing live - especially on a show that preaches about how difficult it is for the contestants to do live performances and then criticizing their singing voices on "shaky vocals" and such.

It's hypocrisy gone mad!

Robbie sang live, to the people saying he was drugged up - I don't think he was, he is known to get really bad stage fright and he just seemed ecstactic that he got through the song and got a warm reception from the crowd, he was on cloud 9 with adrenaline, not on drugs. I heard the door wouldn't open when he was going on stage to sing, that would throw anyone off.

Yeah I read on the Sun website that he said the doors wouldn't open so it wasn't part of the performance when you seem him push the doors. I wondered about that myself.

His eyes were like saucers though when Dermot was interviewing him. Although if he gets such bad stage fright, why does he bother? I mean I'm sure he's got enough money where he doesn't have to do record anymore so if he gets that so bad, why put yourself through it?

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

No surprise Cheryl won't be singing live. She can't sing full stop. No excuses are acceptable from her. I remember when she was picked for the band I was very surprised she got in as she couldn't sing well. Javine was the strongest singer and didn't get in so it was just a popularity contest and that's why she got in.

Anyone who buys her records are mad. That's why she's getting up there "singing" - to promote herself, not out of the goodness of her heart. I can't stand her and her husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Like a lot of others, not so keen on Cheryl anymore. The thing that pushed it over the edge is she keeps giving too many chances to people from where she lives - having said that, I thought Joe was a lot better on Sat then he'd been in his auditions.

Danni is still my favourite judge, she's a bit more down to earth & usually makes good choices for her guys.

Did anyone see Danyl throwing the mic stand down at the end of the song. Normally I would think that was so cheesy, but he did it with such aplomb, I just loved it. He is getting WAY too much flack now, I think he's toned everything down as requested, so shouldn't still be getting attacked by the judges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Alexandra mimed hers so she could dance during her performance. nothing much was said about that, I find that worse really.

Believe it or not it seems that she did sing live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

LZ5by5 wrote: »

I would agree with this as she used to dance & sing live just fine when she was on the show last year, plus she's had oodles of time to rehearse what she did on Saturday. She's fit enough & good enough singer to sing live.
    Her song wasn't exactly my cup of tea but I thought she did a fantastic job as someone coming back to the show. I reckon she'll keep going like Leona

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AlaskaFox

For all Cheryl's faults, she's a million times better than Dannii. Dannii can't sing or even smile, thanks to all that botox.

Er, listen to some of Dannii's songs. She may not be the best vocally, but she is better than Cheryl. Look for her live duets with Kylie on Youtube.

Yeah I read on the Sun website that he said the doors wouldn't open so it wasn't part of the performance when you seem him push the doors. I wondered about that myself.

His eyes were like saucers though when Dermot was interviewing him. Although if he gets such bad stage fright, why does he bother? I mean I'm sure he's got enough money where he doesn't have to do record anymore so if he gets that so bad, why put yourself through it?

I'd say he enjoys the buzz of it afterwards though. Maybe he likes to challenge himself to it, nothing wrong with that. I think it's awful that he gets accused of being on drugs just because he's on a buzz from doing a performance. I'm sure he could always do with more money too.

I don't think so, it sounds like it was prerecorded live like Cheryl will do on Saturday but obviously I can't prove it either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Bubblefizz

Mink wrote: »
    Like a lot of others, not so keen on Cheryl anymore. The thing that pushed it over the edge is she keeps giving too many chances to people from where she lives - having said that, I thought Joe was a lot better on Sat then he'd been in his auditions.

Danni is still my favourite judge, she's a bit more down to earth & usually makes good choices for her guys.

Did anyone see Danyl throwing the mic stand down at the end of the song. Normally I would think that was so cheesy, but he did it with such aplomb, I just loved it. He is getting WAY too much flack now, I think he's toned everything down as requested, so shouldn't still be getting attacked by the judges.

I still think Danyl is attention seeking- i thought they wya he firstly turned his back for a second when Danni started on him was attention seeking and the mic thing as well.

Having said that, what Danni said was extremely out of line so i did feel really sorry for him- for once i liked what Simon had to say back to her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 starfish1

If Cheryl doesn't sing live-no matter what excuse she has-there will be war..it's a friggin talent show and she's a judge!Whether she can sing or not is besides the point it's bad form altogether

she has gone really annoying this year all she does is bicker with simon and gets thick if he disagrees with her

starfish1 wrote: »
    If Cheryl doesn't sing live-no matter what excuse she has-there will be war..it's a friggin talent show and she's a judge!Whether she can sing or not is besides the point it's bad form altogether

she has gone really annoying this year all she does is bicker with simon and gets thick if he disagrees with her

What war though? Nothing's gonna happen because she mimes. The contestants aren't going to complain and sure viewers are always complaining about something anyway!

Maybe she'll surprise us all and sing live now:D

Er, listen to some of Dannii's songs. She may not be the best vocally, but she is better than Cheryl. Look for her live duets with Kylie on Youtube.

Agreed, apart from the tremendously lazy performance she has a decent set of pipes on her.

Louis wont be back to XFactor this weekend

link

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Little_miss_syn

Feel bad for louis and hope he'll be back soon. I dont reckon the twins are gonna go this week coz they seemto have the sympathy vote anyways. I thought Kandy Rain shouldve gotten through, I didnt really like rachel (??)

Yeah Rachel really needs a favour from Dannii this weekend, a really good song which will suit her right down to the ground.

Anyway, this is allegedly the leaked list in order of who got the most votes last weekend (I got it from the DS forums);

Danyl
    Lloyd
    Joe
    Lucie
    Stacey
    Rikki
    Jamie
    John and Edward
    Olly
    Miss Frank
    Rachel
    Kandy Rain

I find it shocking (if true of course) that

a) Rikki managed mid table when he should have been near bottom.
    b) Miss Frank were near bottom
    c) Lloyd scored above of Lucie and Stacey

However it's good to see that Olly may not be as popular as the media suggests, John & Edward scored above him FFS! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Yeah Rachel really needs a favour from Dannii this weekend, a really good song which will suit her right down to the ground.

Anyway, this is allegedly the leaked list in order of who got the most votes last weekend (I got it from the DS forums);

Danyl
    Lloyd
    Joe
    Lucie
    Stacey
    Rikki
    Jamie
    John and Edward
    Olly
    Miss Frank
    Rachel
    Kandy Rain

I find it shocking (if true of course) that

a) Rikki managed mid table when he should have been near bottom.
    b) Miss Frank were near bottom
    c) Lloyd scored above of Lucie and Stacey

However it's good to see that Olly may not be as popular as the media suggests, John & Edward scored above him FFS! :D
    Where did you hear this??

deise_girl wrote: »
    Where did you hear this??

Posted over on Digital Spy Forums, take it with a grain of salt but they are usually good for getting their hands on this kind of information.

• Advertisement

No suprise if Louis's 3 groups were in the bottom 5 last week.. they're all atrocious!

And no, Miss Frank aren't "good".. they're simply better than the other 2 groups.

They remind me of a poor TLC. Two weaker members them are supported at every note by a strong lead singer and another raps occassionally at random points.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement