Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to get new phone line connected?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

This isn't a rant but I want to make one thing clear at first.

I hate eircom, I hate them so very very much.

Now within this context, I am moving to a basement flat (so no wireles options) and I want to be sure that I give eircom the least amount of support as possible. There has never been a phone line connected to the flat before.

Apparently it looks like I have no option but to get eircom to connect a phone line, and then maybe I'm committed to a 6 months contract. The terms and conditions actually specify that I must not convert the line to a business line within those 6 months so perhaps I can change provider within the 6 months.

Unfortunately the nearest telephone exchange is Rathmines, which is not unbundled, and indeed the last time I lived in Rathmines only 4 years ago the ONLY internet option bar dial up was a RipWave, which sorta worked if you held it near the window and typed in urls with the other hand. Eventually after some exchanges on boards, I put it as high as possible in the attic which was the best. But give them their due, they were totally unlimited.

Did I mention that I hate eircom, I hate them so very very much.

Oh how nice, I've just noticed Magnet Rory'e post that Rathmines exchange can now provide 24Mbs!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Line will still have to be installed by eircom and Magnet will pay the wholesale price for the line to them so really it doesn't matter who you are with eircom will get their share, BTW if you do order it then make sure you have it detailed in the order that it is for BB, how far are you from the exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gowger wrote: »
    Apparently it looks like I have no option but to get eircom to connect a phone line, and then maybe I'm committed to a 6 months contract.

Yes, no. Only eircom can install lines, but you are not tied to a contract, unless you order broadband or one of their call packages.

eircom had a free line install offer running recently, you could check the website to see if that's still on. If it is, get the install done ASAP, before they start charging again.

If the flat already has a line installed, then just ring eircom to have it activated, and then go to whomever you want from there. Magnet and Smart are good if available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 gowger

Thanks for the replies folks!

So luckily being right on the edge of the border, it looks like I'll be connected to the recently upgraded rathmines exchange. woo hoo!

I think I'm going to go with magnet, because it seems to be the cheapest way to get the 24Mb experience, and I think 250Gb a month fair use will never be reached even if I use some high def streaming services sometimes.

Advertisement