Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl courses

• 16-06-2009 3:18pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any good info on Tefl courses?

As far as i can tell courses accredited by Trinity London are the most highly regarded, however there is only 1 such course in Ireland and thats based in Cork (im in dublin). Apparently they also do what they call a distance learning course in some of the colleges that run Trinity accredited courses but im finding it difficult to see which ones.

What other type of Tefal course accreditation is out there and which is supposed to be the next most highley rated? Can anyone suggest one?

Also how much of a difference does the accreditation really make?

have done several months subsitute teaching in an Irish primary school and a months placement in an english school as part of a post grad which I unfortunatley withdrew from due to illness. It would be nice now after spending the best part of 2 yrs doing some sort of teaching to be qualified in some form as a teacher and I would def consider teaching abroad and know many people do so in Asia for example. Therefore any help that you could provide would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Does anyone have any good info on Tefal courses?

As far as i can tell courses accredited by Trinity London are the most highly regarded, however there is only 1 such course in Ireland and thats based in Cork (im in dublin). Apparently they also do what they call a distance learning course in some of the colleges that run Trinity accredited courses but im finding it difficult to see which ones.

What other type of Tefal course accreditation is out there and which is supposed to be the next most highley rated? Can anyone suggest one?

Also how much of a difference does the accreditation really make?

have done several months subsitute teaching in an Irish primary school and a months placement in an english school as part of a post grad which I unfortunatley withdrew from due to illness. It would be nice now after spending the best part of 2 yrs doing some sort of teaching to be qualified in some form as a teacher and I would def consider teaching abroad and know many people do so in Asia for example. Therefore any help that you could provide would be much appreciated

Its actually TEFL not Tefal.

Tefal makes toasters and irons and things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Full details on http://www.tefal.com/

:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

hilarious lads (yes i fail)

can anyone actually help?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

I am in the same boat considering doing a weekend tefl course in tralee http://www.teflireland.com/. Is it worth doing will i be able to teach english in language schools in ireland or is it only abroad?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

as far as I know a weekend course isnt worth doing that the 4 week ones are the only ones taken serious by potential empoyers and even then it is important who it is accredited by if you want a decent job.

Of course peope can get jobs unqualified abroad without any qualificaion but trying itisnt advised

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Usually a lot of those courses have 'add ons.' Complete the weekend course and then do the extra Grammar Module or Young Learners Module or something like that for extra hours. I did 180 hours I think with all those add ons back in 2003 so I am sure there are a lot more options available now.

Basically if you have no experience teaching and you are not sure if you would like being a teacher or not then I would say doing as many hours as possible. If you don't like it, you could have spent a great deal of money, but then again it's better finding out like that then going to another country, signing a contract and then finding out.

Check the background of whichever place you are applying to take the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

hilarious lads (yes i fail)

can anyone actually help?

Hi

The accreditation actually makes alot of a difference depending on where you want to teach and how good you want to be.

If this is something that you want for going off travelling to various countries around the world, then do any course, because once you have any kind of course, you can teach there. If you are looking for something quick and for this purpose I believe i-to-i are good, but personally I would think any course of this kind is pretty rubbish. After all, they are only weekend courses.

However, if you want to use it in Ireland, that is a whole other ball game. Your course will have to be ACELS accredited. That is a must. Check out the ACELS webpage to see which uni's provide ACELS accredited courses.

Also the new PC name for TEFL is TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages :p)

Also, for what its worth, it doesnt matter how much previous primary or secondary school teaching experience you have... TESOL is completely different.

Any more questions... just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

The NUI qualifications are great. I did a year long one and travelled loads with it, found it was held in the highest esteem everywhere I went. Plus is recognised at second and third level here which has sent lots of extra work my way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

The NUI qualifications are great. I did a year long one and travelled loads with it, found it was held in the highest esteem everywhere I went. Plus is recognised at second and third level here which has sent lots of extra work my way.

These are the one's I'm talking about. Anything on the ACELS website, or anything recognised by an NUI, (includes UCD) is fine. These are the only ones that should get you work here. I did mine in UCD. Full time for one year. Delighted I did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Are you sure you're not thinking of CELTA courses? These are courses accredited by the University of Cambridge. I've been looking into these myself of late. I know they are very highly regarded worldwide

I have been looking at finding a course that would allow me to work abroad as well as in Ireland. I recently emailed ACELS and asked them about the CELTA course. I was told that the CELTA should enfranchise people for work abroad as well as in the quality assured sector here. I think the translation of that is that it's good for both! I was told the CELTA is probably better known abroad as it has been around for longer.

The downside of it though is that it's very costly indeed for only a few weeks of work. That's why I've been trying to look at other options.

I was also told by ACELS that awards given here in Ireland should be good abroad which gaeilgegrinds and peanuthead have also said.

I'm interested in these NUI qualifications as I haven't come across them yet. I'll have to give them a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭cavanmaniac

Advertisement