Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cut a 1/4" Dado

Options
  • 16-06-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I am adding drawers to a project I am finishing up.

But how do you cut 1/4" dado into a drawer side? Or is it simply pass it through the table saw a few times? Any easier options?

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you have a router?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Thanks Alun - yeah i was just thinking that. I'll get a 1/4" router bit when I finish up here tonight. Or better still I'll wait till tomorrow night and go over to McQuillans before I go down home on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

using the router is your best bet.running it through the saw wouldnt be as accurate + its a lot safer.ya gotta mind those fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

remember though that 1/4" plywood/mdf is not 1/4" thick. If you cut an exact 1/4" dado then it will be a little loose. Maybe that will work and you will be leaving it floating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

ennisa wrote: »
    remember though that 1/4" plywood/mdf is not 1/4" thick. If you cut an exact 1/4" dado then it will be a little loose. Maybe that will work and you will be leaving it floating anyway.

What size of bit should I get then? I would not like it too loose. Or indeed what size plywood should I use?

D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

why reopen an old topic?

For the record, top tip for wooden drawer sliders- get clear candle wax and rub into the sliding edges for better opening and closing

Advertisement