Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price Elasticity of Demand for Goods Not Obeying the Law of Demand

• 16-06-2009 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

Would I be right in saying that for these goods (giffen, snob and speculative) that if the goods are elastic or inelastic, in both circumstances you would raise price by as much as possible in order to increase total revenue?

Please let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

K4t wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying that for these goods (giffen, snob and speculative) that if the goods are elastic or inelastic, in both circumstances you would raise price by as much as possible in order to increase total revenue?

Please let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

Sort of.

You shouldn't raise price as much as possible because doing that would mean setting the price as €100bn per item, and I don't think you'll get much revenue then :). So the point is that at some point, it's not worth your while raising price any higher. However if a seller wants to maximise revenue they should raise/lower price (if he or she can) until elasticity = 1. Otherwise they're not maximising revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Sort of.

You shouldn't raise price as much as possible because doing that would mean setting the price as €100bn per item, and I don't think you'll get much revenue then :). So the point is that at some point, it's not worth your while raising price any higher. However if a seller wants to maximise revenue they should raise/lower price (if he or she can) until elasticity = 1. Otherwise they're not maximising revenue.
    Ya I know what you mean!

But my point really is that for (giffen, snob, speculative) goods, you raise price to maximise revenue if the goods are either elastic or inelastic

whereas

for normal goods, you raise price if the good is inelastic to maximise revenue and lower price if the good is elastic to maximise revenue.

That is correct ^ Yes?

I was getting confused by that. I just thought they were direct opposites.

But my point really is that for (giffen, snob, speculative) goods, you raise price to maximise revenue if the goods are either elastic or inelastic
    This question is confusing.

With a Giffen, as price goes up quantity goes up. But that only lasts so long. Nobody buys rice at €100/kg. So yes, you should increase the price of Giffens while they remain Giffens.

With a snob, as the price goes up quantity goes up. But that only lasts so long. Nobody buys a boat for €100bn. So yes, you should increase the price of snob goods while they remain so.

As far as I can figure out, the fact that the law of demand doesn't hold here means whether these are elastic or inelastic doesn't matter. When the law does hold, then whether increase or decrease price depends on the elasticity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

This question is confusing.

With a Giffen, as price goes up quantity goes up. But that only lasts so long. Nobody buys rice at €100/kg. So yes, you should increase the price of Giffens while they remain Giffens.

With a snob, as the price goes up quantity goes up. But that only lasts so long. Nobody buys a boat for €100bn. So yes, you should increase the price of snob goods while they remain so.
    Obviously I mean raising the price to the highest level whereby people would still buy the good!
    As far as I can figure out, the fact that the law of demand doesn't hold here means whether these are elastic or inelastic doesn't matter. When the law does hold, then whether increase or decrease price depends on the elasticity.
    So are you saying that elasticity doesn't affect goods which don't obey the law of demand?

So are you saying that elasticity doesn't affect goods which don't obey the law of demand?

Well if [latex]Q_D[/latex] goes up as [latex]P[/latex] goes up, then revenue has to go up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement