Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggest a Camera/multimedia phone

• 16-06-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

I'm looking at what to get as a new mobile, and the "perfect phone" doesn't seem to be there for me.

Here's my "wish list"

Decent camera
    5MP+, with a good lens and all the rest. (I've tried out some phones like W-series SEs which have high-MP but produce rubbish picture quality in comparison to the cybershots)

Xenon Flash
    I've read some stuff which theorises that a "power LED" should be better, but I've yet to see a phone with any LED outperform a Xenon flash

Usable media player
    It could well have changed, but the last few Nokia's I've played with had horrible media players, in that it was effectively impossible to create a play-list on the phone itself.

3.5mm Headphone Jack
    This is where the problems start. I can meet hte above criteria no problem...but as soon as I look for a headphones socket, the flash seems to be a no-go.
    Oh...headphone jack needs to be top- or bottom- mounted. Samsung had a phone with it on the side, which is no use to me.

Nice to also have, but not essential...
    Lens cover Some people hate them, but I've owned a couple of cybershot SEs and found that they work pretty well.
    VGA-or-better video recording.
    WiFi
    GPS
    FM Radio

Form-factor, price, carrier, and all the rest
    I couldn't care less about form-factor, nor whether or not it has touch-screen...although I have to say that I find some of the Nokia phones (e.g. the N95) simply too bulky. The C905 is just-about at the limit of what I'd like to go for.

Price & Carrier aren't terribly relevant...I don't live in Ireland. The Swiss providers seem to have more-or-less the same phones as are on the Irish market, though.

The current "best compromises" that I've found are as follows:

SE C905 : has camera, flash, and media player, but no headphones socket. I'm also not a fan of the connector being side-mounted, but can live with it if I have to. Fails on the video recording in the "nice to have".

LG Arena: has camera, Media player and Headhones socket. rubbish LED flash. Fails on the lens-cover in the nice-to-have

LG Viewty Smart: Better camera than the Arena, but no headphones socket as the main tradeoff. Also has a rubbish LED flash. Fails on the lens cover in the nice-to-have.

Of those 3, the SE is probably the best fit, but I'm very tempted by the Viewty Smart for reasons I can't quite pin down yet.

Any comments or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

bonkey wrote: »
    Hi guys

I'm looking at what to get as a new mobile, and the "perfect phone" doesn't seem to be there for me.

Here's my "wish list"

Decent camera
    5MP+, with a good lens and all the rest. (I've tried out some phones like W-series SEs which have high-MP but produce rubbish picture quality in comparison to the cybershots)

Xenon Flash
    I've read some stuff which theorises that a "power LED" should be better, but I've yet to see a phone with any LED outperform a Xenon flash

Usable media player
    It could well have changed, but the last few Nokia's I've played with had horrible media players, in that it was effectively impossible to create a play-list on the phone itself.

3.5mm Headphone Jack
    This is where the problems start. I can meet hte above criteria no problem...but as soon as I look for a headphones socket, the flash seems to be a no-go.
    Oh...headphone jack needs to be top- or bottom- mounted. Samsung had a phone with it on the side, which is no use to me.

Nice to also have, but not essential...
    Lens cover Some people hate them, but I've owned a couple of cybershot SEs and found that they work pretty well.
    VGA-or-better video recording.
    WiFi
    GPS
    FM Radio

Form-factor, price, carrier, and all the rest
    I couldn't care less about form-factor, nor whether or not it has touch-screen...although I have to say that I find some of the Nokia phones (e.g. the N95) simply too bulky. The C905 is just-about at the limit of what I'd like to go for.

Price & Carrier aren't terribly relevant...I don't live in Ireland. The Swiss providers seem to have more-or-less the same phones as are on the Irish market, though.

The current "best compromises" that I've found are as follows:

SE C905 : has camera, flash, and media player, but no headphones socket. I'm also not a fan of the connector being side-mounted, but can live with it if I have to. Fails on the video recording in the "nice to have".

LG Arena: has camera, Media player and Headhones socket. rubbish LED flash. Fails on the lens-cover in the nice-to-have

LG Viewty Smart: Better camera than the Arena, but no headphones socket as the main tradeoff. Also has a rubbish LED flash. Fails on the lens cover in the nice-to-have.

Of those 3, the SE is probably the best fit, but I'm very tempted by the Viewty Smart for reasons I can't quite pin down yet.

Any comments or suggestions?

N82 seems a good fit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Certainly does. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

We have two in our house. Nokia UK were selling them for under 200 stg SIM free if you know anyone with a UK address.

Advertisement