Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Talking in sleep

Options
  • 16-06-2009 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I dont dream bout it but I'm told I talk about people in my sleep. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 flibbertyjibbet

I think it happens when you're in a phaze between waking and sleeping. This is the reason we remember dreams as well. We only remember the ones we were having when we drifted into a light sleep and were about to wake up.
    Is it a regular thing or has it only recently started? Is it a stressful time for you at the moment? If you can't remember what you dreamt about, maybe ask others what you were saying? If that shows you were dreaming about something stressful then you can start taking steps to resolve whatever stress you were dreaming about and trying to relax yourself before sleep. If it's mundane stuff, then I wouldn't worry about it too much..it's just one of your quirks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

I talk quite a bit in my sleep, the other night i told my fiance that the laptop crashed.....when he told me this i didnt see anything to strange about it but apparently when he questioned me as to how the laptop crashed i replied that it crashed into a helicopter. he asked when the laptop learned to fly and all he got was " a minute ago" then i told him to shut up and go asleep. i couldnt help but laugh when he told me the next morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

When people talk in their sleep it makes no sense...But it's quite funny when you start asking them questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭curts82

its fair strange!! I talk to herself alot in my sleep I'm told!! Told her last night I'm going away for a few days with my friends!! Which I'm not. I tell her where people live and all I know bout em to. NO Knowledge of tellin her tho:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 chit chat

I used to tell my family what boys i liked and they could get any info they wanted out of me if just kept askin questions... so embarassing!! :L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

Apparently I have always talked in my sleep, I mooch around a lot aswell.
    I stopped doing it for a while but I started again, I woke up at the top the stairs one night. Mentioned it to the doc in passing but she said as long as it wasn't a new thing (the moving about part) it's nothing serious. So I have started wearing PJs again just in case!

The funniest thing I think I ever said (my brother said he heard me shouting it!) was " DON'T JUMP MR EGG, please, whatever you do, don't jump" another was "Are the cakes ok?? are the f*cking cakes ok?"
    F*ck knows what I was dreaming about!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

My brother once came home from work where I had clocked out a few hours earlier...according to him I asked him to get me a steak sandwich, medium with garlic butter, apparently when he asked me was I ok I simply recited the order before just saying the word "Whiskey" and falling asleep again!! Personally I put it down to my love of steak and drink!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well i been talking in my sleep for years. the first i heard about it was when my best friend was staying over and she said i was singing to a guy i fancied at teh time when we were kids. i still do it to this day and i ask my OH about it but most of the time he can't remember half the stuff i came out with. it doesn't bother me in the slightest. but what i loved was when i used to sit up and have chats with my mum when i was younger and dad would be asleep beside her. mum would say to him "who loves you?" and he say "you do". so sweet even at their age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

ha ha ha i love this some of the **** we come out with is so funny!!!

Heres some of mine!!! what ive been told anyway

Turn off the washing machine(while phone was ringing)

No i cant go there is no space in the car (when the mother asked me if i was going to mass when i was small)

Im sorry.....im sorry....but i really like cars (aparently i said to my friend when she stayed over)

Put on your seat belt (said to the bf)

The recipe for pancakes is on page 182 of the cit student handbook (bf)

Tis annoying now cos i know there was loads more just cant remember love the helicopeter laptop one thats brilliant:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 saywhatyouwish

I sleep talk nearly all the time... my ex-boyfriend used not be able to tell whether i was awake talking to him or asleep. Eventually he just presumed I was asleep and would tell me "its ok go back to sleep" when i would have been awake lol. He told me one night i started to freak out about the curtains and another I asked him whether he prefered east enders or coronation street, I woke up to his answer and asked him why on earth he was talking about soaps lol. He didnt mind but It's rather annoying not knowing what I've said in my sleep.... I don't know why I talk so much but i've been the same all my life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

YT wrote: »
    The funniest thing I think I ever said (my brother said he heard me shouting it!) was " DON'T JUMP MR EGG, please, whatever you do, don't jump" another was "Are the cakes ok?? are the f*cking cakes ok?"
    F*ck knows what I was dreaming about!
    Lola18 wrote: »
    I talk quite a bit in my sleep, the other night i told my fiance that the laptop crashed.....when he told me this i didnt see anything to strange about it but apparently when he questioned me as to how the laptop crashed i replied that it crashed into a helicopter. he asked when the laptop learned to fly and all he got was " a minute ago" then i told him to shut up and go asleep. i couldnt help but laugh when he told me the next morning!

Hilarious:D

The other night I was getting back into bed after just getting up to use the bathroom and said to...the person I sometimes share a bed with (complicated) "brrr I'm freezing give us a cuddle" and she replied "yeah I will now in One Minute!!!!"

My laughing nearly woke her up and she thought it was hysterical the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

im told i always talk to myself my brother does tell me i have full conversations with people cant remember anything about it in the mornings

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I talk in my sleep when I am upset or stressed. I was sharing a room with my cousins once (who I am not mad about) and called them all the names under the sun in my sleep.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Lola18 wrote: »

Haha i nearly wet myself laughing at this post:).....

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Miaireland wrote: »
    I talk in my sleep when I am upset or stressed. I was sharing a room with my cousins once (who I am not mad about) and called them all the names under the sun in my sleep.:o

Something similar happened to me like that when i was younger,me and me Ma and Da and younger brother and sister went on holidays to tramore,i'm from the northside of Laois so anyway after around a half a hour into the trip i got board and put the music on my phone,it was very loud,my Ma told me to turn it down or even use the earpieces but i would'nt do either...so she stopped the car and took the phone of me and gave it to my da and take the memory card out...anyway that night when i was asleep my da heard me saying Ma was as mean as dirt and that he was so fookin ignorant to take out my memory card..when my Ma and Da told me the next morning what i said i thought i would be in for it but i was.nt thank god:).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I talk a lot in my sleep.

The psychological explanation I heard was it is your brain releasing thoughts that you wanted to get out while you were awake. Though sometimes it's just pure, inexplicable gibberish.

Once I went out with friends from college and a gang of us stayed at one of the lads house. I fell asleep before the others and started "talking" about going fishing with a guy who is a friend of a friend.

Another time, I woke up my girlfriend to tell her the result of a random football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

love some of the stories here.I used to be very bad for sleep walking and talking a few years ago.not so bad now but still wake up at times to lights on and things moved around the room!When i was in college,my housemates went out for the night but i stayed in doing work.Went to bed about 12,next thing i remember is waking up at half 3 walking up the stairs after having gone back downstairs and turned on the tv before the lads got back and then had a full conversation with them!Thankfully they all knew i sleep walked and stuff(had to tell them in case i woke them some night).

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I sleep walked downstair's into the living room when I was younger, my mam found me.

Question is how can your body manage to walk down step's while you are asleep?

Some people can't manage that well when they are awake.

Advertisement