Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

15mm fisheye ...

• 16-06-2009 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm about to get the canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye ....

is there any equivalent lenses of other brands that are just as good but maybe cheaper ?

im not sure its worth the €635 ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Funny that, just spotted it for sale on Conn's website for €825. I got mine for £375 off Kerso when the rates were good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

have you looked at the Sigma lens 10mm & 15mm I think Tokina or possible Tamron may have a Fisheye.

I have the Sigma 10mm Fisheye got it in Heaven B&H when I was there at Easter. I've had lots of fun with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

Sorry forgot to mention im using full frame, i don't think the Sigma 10mm works ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I had the Sigma 15mm fisheye for about 5 years on my F100 and D3. It was and is a fantastic lens. I bought the Nikon equivelant as it was a smaller/lighter lens physically and I still wish I hadn't sold the Sigma. My copy was super sharp. The Nikon one doesn't focus nearly as close as the Sigma one did (I think the sigma one would focus well below what it's spec'd minimum focusing distance was said to be...it was good to maybe 4 or 5 inches) which gave for really interesting "macro" fisheye shots. I've found the Nikon one to be a little bit wider on the hozizontal and vertical angles than the Sigma. The Sigma 15mm is a super lens. I'd totally recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Canon 15mm is so sharp, you wont regret buying it.
    Most of this set is shot with it so you can see the full size examples
    D4A3A84E4B2842BE8AB9A4B69600EFF5-800.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I don't think there's much difference between the 15mm canon and the 15mm sigma, I was looking at both a few months back and the price and quality was almost the same so I ended up going for the canon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

What are you going to be shooting? That is the question.. fisheye = distortion = get sick of it after awhile.

I have the 15mm canon fisheye but I mostly use it for skateboarding.. I got sick of using it for normal landscapes and buildings and bought the canon 17 - 40 L instead. Which is cheaper.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

dazftw wrote: »
    What are you going to be shooting? That is the question.. fisheye = distortion = get sick of it after awhile.

I have the 15mm canon fisheye but I mostly use it for skateboarding.. I got sick of using it for normal landscapes and buildings and bought the canon 17 - 40 L instead. Which is cheaper.

hmmm ... i was going to get the 17-40 aswell !!!

I like the effect the 15mm fisheye gives ... + was gonna get the 17-40 L for undistored landscape wide shots...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

The 15mm is soooo worth the cash as already mentioned.

I only recently got mine and this is just one of a few shots I have used it, very happy with it!!

3462263321_3189a35548.jpg

yeah , I think i'll get it ...

so should i bother with the 17-40 L ?

or maybe instead of getting both ill just get the 16-35 L II ?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Orly

I had the same question some months ago and did a lot of research, comparing Sigma 15mm to the Canon. In the end I went for the Sigma and cannot fault it. The price at the time was considerably cheaper, with all reviews praising the Sigma for price and build quality. Many preferred the Sigma overall.

Check flickr for pools of photos tagged with Sigma 15mm and compare to the Canon.

Save yourself some cash for that next purchase and go for the Sigma!

Orly wrote: »
    I had the same question some months ago and did a lot of research, comparing Sigma 15mm to the Canon. In the end I went for the Sigma and cannot fault it. The price at the time was considerably cheaper, with all reviews praising the Sigma for price and build quality. Many preferred the Sigma overall.

Check flickr for pools of photos tagged with Sigma 15mm and compare to the Canon.

Save yourself some cash for that next purchase and go for the Sigma!

hmm .. maybe i will .. i see it works on FF aswell ...

Indeed it does... Been using it lots on the 5D

Do you want me to compare shots for you with them?

The 15 and 17 - 40... I dont want you spending 600 euro and then getting sick of it..

Forgot to mention I bought mine from Kea Photo. You can probably get it for around the same price from Calument in Belfast, if you can get the VAT off.

KeaPhoto - http://www.keaphoto.com/shop.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=285&category_id=22&keyword=15mm

dazftw wrote: »
    Do you want me to compare shots for you with them?

The 15 and 17 - 40... I dont want you spending 600 euro and then getting sick of it..

I'd love that thanks very much ...

stick the photos on flickr/pix.ie and ill review when i get home ..

jackdaw wrote: »
    I'd love that thanks very much ...

stick the photos on flickr/pix.ie and ill review when i get home ..

Forgot to do it while I was in town ill just go do it now out on the street! :pac:

3636082335_7ccfb7a59f_o.jpg

3636082565_d911a2016d_o.jpg

Not the best example but you get the idea!

Its just fisheye isnt practical for landscape everything in the distance with be distorted and hard to see. The 17 - 40 wont distort anything.

Fisheye for sports and architecture and that "mad" look. 17 - 40 for normal landscapes and about anything else.. its a great alround lense! Not much difference in quality either.

Just got the SIGMA 15mm f2.8 + the 17-40 F4 L !!

Thanks all!

Advertisement