Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Wireless N Router?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Upgrading my home network. Currently 3 pcs (all WXP) fed by a Linksys ADSL Gateway Modem/Router, and using combination of ethernet wired connections, and HomePlug ethernet over mains devices.
    Now need wireless support for Squeezebox music streaming and for laptop internet access.
    Ideally I would like:
    1) A combined ADSL modem/802.11n router.
    2) Dual 2.4gHz/5gHz.
    3) USB connection for network storage
    4) gigabit ethernet for future proofing.
    Any thoughts as to what would meet this criteria? And where to opurchase cost effectively? I am based in Dublin.
    Any help VERY much appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

a Linksys WRT600N should do it.

here's a link:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124262

only thing it doesn't do is dsl from what I can see, so your bottle neck would be between your current dsl router and the wrt600n.. But your internal speeds would be gigabit speeds.

Custom firewire should get rid of any connection issues. I use dd-wrt and have never had a problem, You can even boost your range.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭noelma

hobochris wrote: »
    a Linksys WRT600N should do it.

here's a link:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124262

only thing it doesn't do is dsl from what I can see, so your bottle neck would be between your current dsl router and the wrt600n.. But your internal speeds would be gigabit speeds.

Custom firewire should get rid of any connection issues. I use dd-wrt and have never had a problem, You can even boost your range.

Thanks! I did check out that Linksys - in fact they have a newer version now WRT-610N. The 600 seemed to get quite a few negative reviews.
    The D-Link DIR-825 ticks all the boxes, but at UK£103 is quite expensive!!

Also - D-Link DIR-825 requires an ethernet modem, which is an extra £40 or so. Although I think I could feed the D-Link DIR-825 from the existing modem - but concerned that would negate the speed benefits of the gigabit feature?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

not really you'll still get gigabit acroos the lan just not to the internet, which you wouldn't be getting anyway,

does it matter which side of the modem the bottle neck is on once it doesn't effect your LAN traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Consider Wireless-N is still eh...rubbish, might work at N-speeds in a vacuum but not in a typical house where things like walls, people get in the way. I don't know how many people would vouch for N-speeds being actually quick and its ridiculously expensive.

• Advertisement

Consider Wireless-N is still eh...rubbish, might work at N-speeds in a vacuum but not in a typical house where things like walls, people get in the way. I don't know how many people would vouch for N-speeds being actually quick and its ridiculously expensive.

Damn! :mad: Hope that is not the case??
    Just ordered a D-Link DIR-825 at total cost of €124.
    Will let u know how it works out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭johnmacward

Give it a try, it'll probably be sufficient for everything you do. Keep something in mind about N - everything else that connects to it has to be to N standard as well so it can reach speed, your laptop has to have an N-standard card in it and thats pretty rare still except in very expensive laptops.

The thing about N-standard is that it's not a standard thats accepted yet by the bodies that approve wireless standards, it's a particular technology / experiment thats pursued by a couple of companies trying to sell a faster wlan technology (at least marketing it that way) that doesn't stand up to what it says yet. It may yet be yet be dropped as an idea or it will have to improve immensely in everything it claims - better signal distance, higher throughput of data etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

wireless n is cack, i tried to replace my 200m outdoor wireless g network which works 99% of the time, with wireless n equipment but they couldn't even see each other

Advertisement