Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing Freelance Work While on Contract

Options
  • 16-06-2009 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I was just wondering do any of you Designers/Architects have any experience with doing freelance work whilst on Contract with a firm/agency. Are there any legal issues, do you get in a world of crap if you're caught doing both?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

depends on your contract and if the freelance work is with any potential or actual clients that the agency previously had.

if you start doing freelance work for some of the agencies clients then its a BIIIG no no.

Nothing stopping you from doing freelance work (when you are not working...ie. contract says 8-6 mon to fri , nights and weekends are your own time to do your own thing)

nothing stopping you from doing freelance work - if confronted by boss - you could always claim you needed to supplement your income as you dont earn enough:p:p

Ps.
    would you be interested in a small graphic design project (couple of logo designs etc)... my PM box is full so dont PM. (Please)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

It's generally fine. As the previous poster said, you're paid for your 40 odd hours a week, you don't get paid outside of that time so it's your own.

From a practical point of view, I wouldn't recommend taking on anything that conflicts with your employer or any job that they could potentially get themselves, but that rarely happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 habanaboy

Thanks for the advice, I'll be definitely cautious about what i take on. PCPhoto, sorry about the late reply, i've been away for a few weeks. I'd be interested in doing some logo work.

Advertisement