Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doors for crawl space

Options
  • 16-06-2009 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

We have recently opened up the crawl space under our dormer roof (ie on the 1st floor space in between inside slab and outside wall - about 3 feet)...to insulate uninsulated interior wall. Rather than blocking back up we are going to use as storage space.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas about the best material to use for a door to keep insulated. Now that the interior wall is insulated this space will be cold in winter (like attic) and I dont want the door to be a big heat sucker!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

did something like this in my attic conversion, i made up the doors and frames myself to suit the cut out and fixed kingspan insulation to the back of the door. to stop draughts i ran weather seal self adhesive tape around the jam of the door to make it airtight. also caulking joints in the timber around the frame and the door will help stop draughts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 aoifski

Thanks northdublin...that's what i'd kind of planned on alright...was wondering if some materials for making the doors were more ..solid or insulating than others. What did you make yours out of? I think I might go for plain MDF and as you say back it with kingspan.

Weatherseal tape...is that the foamy stuff or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

yeah the weather seal is just a self adhesive strip if rubbery foam that creats a seal around the door when its shut.
    as for materials, to make the doors i bought pine boards like you would use for shelves and cut them down to size and ran a piece of arcatraive around the edge for effect. as for the frames themselves i just got the timber and the slips in my local providers.
    mdf is ok to use for the doors but its hard to get them square unless you have a table saw or a good circular saw.

Advertisement