Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolates/Sweets for Coeliacs?

• 16-06-2009 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Want to buy some a box of chocolates for a relative who has coeliac disease. Are Cadbury's roses, or Celebrations ok to give?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions of what chocolates i could give as a gift?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Celtic chocolates are gluten free, available in SuperValu or if you can get Aldi, most of their chocolates are gluten free.

Not to be a pain but some ceoliacs dont eat dairy as they find they have an intolerance to it too. Dark chocolate then is a good bet, but it all depends on the person...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

According to this Roses are gluten free.

http://nutrition.cadbury.co.uk/epages/Store.storefront/?ObjectID=725280

I second the Aldi option though. They've a really good selection of gluten free sweet stuff. It's not segregated but it's marked on the packet if it's gluten free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Chocolate doesn't contain gluten (it's found in cereals like wheat) so any should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Chocolate doesn't contain gluten (it's found in cereals like wheat) so any should be fine.

Unfortunately not, some ceoliacs are quite sensitive and even traces of gluten can cause a problem, it is safest to look for gluten free!!!

I am not that sensitive thankfully but some people are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Please be careful handing out general advice like this. The OP was talking about chocolateS, as in ones with other stuff in them, like roses etc, these could be considered "chocolate". Also some types could well contain gluten.

I would not even go with manufacturers websites info as it can often be out of date, new sweets could be added to the range, or recipes can change.

Best check the packets for a gluten free label each and everytime you buy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Cadbury's roses are GF - I'm a coeliac so I can answer this to the best of my ability. Celebrations are not due to cross contamination.

Also - if you are going to look at labels remember that there is a difference between "gluten free" and "suitable for coeliacs".

The "suitable for coeliacs" label refers to the old legislation that it must have less than 200ppm of gluten which most coeliacs can tolerate without ill effect.

"Gluten Free" means it contains absolutely no gluten or less than 20 ppm AND has been produced in an environment free of cross contamination.

Defo go for the roses as these have only been safe since December last year and its a huge treat for all coeliacs (we're simple folk to please)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Zigmund

So roses are fine then?
    Thanks. I wasn't too sure over the whole labelling thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Roses are 100% fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Aldi are quite good with their labelling. so you should be able to pick up some treats there.

Advertisement