Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in Distress Charity calendar!

Options
  • 16-06-2009 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I wanted to start a new thread about this for the brainstorming part of it all!

Just to copy from prior post
    Hey all,

So the fundraiser we are making the calendar for will be dogs in distress!

Now we can start part 2 which is the fun part taking photos!!

The photos can be of any animal of your choosing you may have more than one animal in the pic but please no more than one pic per person.

Just remember that the photos should be of a quality you would like to see in a calendar yourselves so please bear in mind the quality of the pic ie. sharp clear images.

the photos can be submitted to this email boardsanimalfundraiser@yahoo.ie
    The closing date for submittal of photos will be
    9th August Midnight

So there is plenty of time to take a suitable pic if you haven't one already or chose from all the hundreds of pet pics you may already have

Does anyone have anything to add?

***note*** images must be 300dpi and landscape

Also when your sending your pics can you also send your user name for boards!

I have also decided which priinting company to go with.
    I specified to print 200 for the time being (I imagine if we shift them wel be doing quite well) and the best quote came back at about 400 +VAT 21.5%.

I'm thinking it would be nice to have a little fundraiser to raise the funds for the printing of the calendars so every cent we make off the calendars is going straight to dogs in distress.

I don't want to be stepping on helena's idea with a dog walk so if anyone has any suggestions of something we could do here?
    Maybe a beautiful dog contest?
    A dog wash :)
    A dog biscuit sale !
    Any other ideas extremely welcomed! (esp as feeling a bit bleurgh and ideas not coming too easily today! :o)

Thanks everyone so far the project is beginning to take off a bit now!

Are you still interested in participating in the fundraiser for dogs in distress? 14 votes

Yes I am interested will submit photo only.
    0%
    Yes I am interested will submit photo and help with fundraiser.
    42%
    EniiRicky91tkazza90210DBCycpandamoaniumAllgäuerin 6 votes
    Yes I am interested will help with fundraiser only.
    50%
    Lauragoesmadjen_23giddybootzCall me SocketRed HornetcarmelodPaul91 7 votes
    I am no longer interested as my charity was not chosen.
    7%
    Inexile 1 vote
    I am no longer interested, sorry.
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Hi Guys,

I was talking to the printing company again today and just as the calendar may have a few months as a collage it might be better to go with an A3 sized calendar.

The only problem with it is it is double the price of the A4s.
    this is because the quality is better and you obviously have much more space to play with in it.

What do ye think A3 or A4. Bearing in mind that the funds need to be raised in the next 2 months for this.

Guys is the interest gone already!! :D

For anyone interested there is a good brainstorming thread going on over in the photography forum about how the calendar and the photos going into it should be like
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055580052

I'd like to get something similar going here with ideas for the fundraiser to raise the money for the cost of the calendars.
    All suggestions are appreciated!

I've added a poll to see if people are still interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

Guys is the interest gone already!! biggrin.gif

Hey

i am still interested and I'm sure other people are too. So try not to worry too much ;)
    After all it's for the dogs were doing this and regardless of which charity it's for as long as the proceeds are going towards helping an animal in need i'll help.
    Unfortunately though I'm not the best at brainstorming ideas but surely some others will help out with this part.

I'll help with everything else :D

I'm afraid this may no longer go ahead as the interest unfortunately seems to be lost.

As there is only 6 weeks to organise a fundraiser to raise funds for the calendar and no interest for it I can't see it going ahead anymore which is a shame as I thought there was originally huge interest.

All I wanted to do was do something nice to help animals who needed the help the most. I was delighted when I got a great response to the idea of the calendar and was looking forward to organising a fundraiser and putting the calendar together. I thought that it was going to be a fun boards project and I was thrilled when I saw the amount of people who wanted to be involved.

I don't understand where the interest went? Feel free to PM me reasons whatever they may be?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Try not to be disheartened Jen....I'm sure there is still plenty of interest. Projects like these kick off well, and once the work begins it's natural that some people will 'disappear' but the majority are still into it. It could just be a crappy week for a lot of people, maybe some are on holidays, maybe some are taking a back seat and waiting for others to do the brainstorming.... Chill out and push ahead, people will be back, enthusiasm comes in waves:)

Re fundraising- if you do a dogwash you'll need to sort insurance (anything could happen; a dog might get away from ye and go missing, another might bite the person washing it; it could be cold or lashing on the scheduled day)
    With selling biscuits- you'd have to buy them to sell them, profit margin would be low.

You need a fundraiser that doesn't actually cost anything to organise, isn't weather dependant, and that a lot of people can participate in without having to travel long distances, or organise accomodation etc....something everyone is capable of doing.... like a Mini Marathon. I'm doing one taking place in Limerick in October, raising money for MIDS that will in turn be donated to struggling rescues.
    It doesn't have to be just for the serious fitness freak....they can be great fun. Men dress up as women to take part in the Ladies' Marathons! There are Mens' ones, Womens' ones, Unisex ones. Kids can take part. You can walk it or run it, you can even stroll it- there's no time limit for finishing.
    If you got a committment from 8 people to participate and raise E100 each, or 16 people to raise E50 each- it couldn't be any easier! And the sense of achievement on finishing is well up there apparently- I'm actually looking forward to October!
    Google athletic club events in each locality and see what Mini Marathons/Road Races are planned- I wouldn't be surprised if there was one on in each county in July or August!

Just an idea....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Sorry Jen....haven't popped by in awhile :o but still interested!

Re fundraising....hmmmm????
    How about a mini marathon with dogs? In fact we could all go as our dogs too!! Bit of facepaint etc!! Perhaps have a facepainter there on the day charging 2 quid to paint each person like their dog??
    All entrants have to raise or donate a bit of cash to enter??

That's as much as I can squeeze out of my mushed brain on a humid monday I'm afraid!!

Let me know when you want a Twitter set up and what you want it called (if you still want this) Feel free to PM me if I miss anything in here or if you need anything.

Let's do this calander!! :D

Thanks Socket and giddyboots :)

Ye have made me a little more enthusiastic about this now!!
    I must look see if there are any marathons on soon But in Cork I knoww it's september for the next one but I have to see around the country could always travel ;)

Giddybootz I like that idea. The good part about it is you could set it up locally and get kids involved too. Really like the idea of a face painter!!

Hi guys,

I've had a thought!!
    Right everyone who is to be involved in the calendar whatever way you chose (whether it's to help out with everything or just to buy one in the end.. Put down what charity you voted for (or pm me if you don't feel comfortable doing that).

My feelings on this now are since an awful lot have backed out that the ppl who are helping should get to raise funds for the charity of their choosing.

If the majority helping out still want DIG then that's absolutely fine. But I want to make sure the ppl involved in making the calendar are doing it for a charity of their choosing. So feel free to PM or post which you wanted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

I'm happy for it to be any animal charity mentioned. Tiss all good with me

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

Hi myself and a friend have decided this year to make calenders as gifts for people for this Christmas and with each calender given we are donating a cash donation to two animal homes in Cork.

We thought it would be a great way to raise awareness on the issue of dogs in need and also be a thoughtful present. I just hope those who receive the calender will appreciate the cause.

I hope you boards calender goes well :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

trilo wrote: »
    Hi myself and a friend have decided this year to make calenders as gifts for people for this Christmas and with each calender given we are donating a cash donation to two animal homes in Cork.

We thought it would be a great way to raise awareness on the issue of dogs in need and also be a thoughtful present. I just hope those who receive the calender will appreciate the cause.

I hope you boards calender goes well :)

i hope this isn't the one on Mahon?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

As in the CSPCA in Mahon... no.

The money will go to a sanctuary place located near the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

goodo - might buy one then :D

whose up at the airport then? i know of donneraile whom have helped me with Roxy

Advertisement