Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making door frame not look like a door frame!

Options
  • 16-06-2009 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

We recently partitioned 1 very large bedroom in our home into 2 rooms (as they were originally supposed to be. Which left us with a little extension to our landing and 2 doors 1 left and right. The problem is the little extension starts where the old door (to the large bedroom) used to be and although the door is gone the door frame is still there. In my naivety I didn't insist the carpenter remove it and make it not look like a door frame at the time!

Anyway, at this stage and with the current lack of funds something simple and cost effective has to be done. This will likely not involve removing the actual door frame as neither I nor my husband feel qualified to do this!

So I'm looking for suggestions to disguise and make it look more like an archway. The arcetrave is gone from the surround. I thought you would be able to plaster around it to cover wood...apparently this doesn't work...?

And also there'd be an issue joining the current plastered wall and new plaster anyway.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to disguise the fact that it is a wooden door frame?? Or how to plaster it? Or something?? I know I can just sand and paint it same as the wall, but there's the gap between wall and wood to consider and I want to remove the line...

help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Can you not just fill the gap with filler?

Ultimately, the door frame might need to stay there to give the wall strength (not necessarily, it depends).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 aoifski

Yes I could just fill in the gap with filler.... but that's not going to make for a very aesthetically pleasing looking "archway" is it? I'm looking to neaten it up and make it look nice :)

Advertisement