Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you return a S/H Car - and is there a time limit

• 16-06-2009 5:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

I bought a Peugeot 307 10 days ago, all went well with the test drive etc, lovely condition

but driving it since
    1. the pedals are mad close together, I step on my feet when useing the clutch and brake together
    2. the brake is ultra sensitive, but am sure I would get use to this ( any one drivign the car found it hard to brake gradually, but this is a feature of 307s noit a fault fo this car
    3. the gears are casuing me problems, 4/5/r they seem cut slo closely, if thats the right term, I an never certain I've moved it to correct gear unless am very hard with it

I wondered can I bring it back ?

Or would I get use to it, I was driving a primera so its a big difference

Any advice, in general or specific would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

As there is no mechanical issue with the car, i'd say you have to keep it. The garage cant be blamed for you deciding ten days down the line that the pedals are too close!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It doesn't sound as though there's anything wrong with the car so no, I can't see any legal grounds for returning it. If you don't mind my asking, how come you didn't notice any of this on the test drive? Have you been driving long? My guess is that you'll get used to it. Be gentle with the gearstick though - in driving, sensitivity is always better than brute force.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Anan1 wrote: »
    It doesn't sound as though there's anything wrong with the car so no, I can't see any legal grounds for returning it. If you don't mind my asking, how come you didn't notice any of this on the test drive? Have you been driving long? My guess is that you'll get used to it. Be gentle with the gearstick though - in driving, sensitivity is always better than brute force.;)

I was just wondering if there was a cooling off period etc, I doubted it but other people suggested there was

I didn't notice because I had spent so long cosiderign all the options , seeing cars when i had this one checked by a mate (mechanic) and had agreed a good price etc, and the spectacular condition the car was in the short test drive emphasised the good points, smooth driving , A/c etc, its aroudn twon with multi stop /starts that its just less pleasure than a new car should be . I don't drive alot so dunno if its me gettign used to the car, but other people have driven it and had found the brake awful quick, and the close pedals, e.g even just parkign it was a bit iffy

I'll work it out, itwas simply if there was an option to switch I'd probably go for something more comfortable with my size 11's

there are a lot of plus's, but like I said just so far not enjoying the driving

can't determine if to put down to in=experience aor not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

There's no harm in talking to the garage. They just might swap it for another car for you (maybe of slightly lower value, or maybe with some payment from you for a car of similar value). Be nice, do not demand anything, just ask.

If you keep it, you most likely will get used to the pedals / gearshift...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

How did you not get a feel for the breaks on that car on the test drive and the miniture pedals.
    That cars breaks are very "SHARP"!!
    I doubt the garage will take it back, you'll have to take a hit if they do.
    Oh and you'll get used to it.
    Best of luck op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the car was bought on hire purchase then there maybe a condition of the agreement where there maybe is a cooling off period.

The best thing to do is approach the garage though, very unlikely you will get a refund as there is nothing wrong with the car but they may swap the car for another one of similar value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you'll get used to all these things, 307 isn't a particularly hard car to drive.

If I'd just sold a 307 there's no way I'd want it back with an extra owner on the logbook, and unless I had something equally unsalable on the forecourt, I wouldn't be swapping it for something else in stick either.

Advertisement