Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Bag Collection

Options
  • 16-06-2009 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭

I've just had a sticker posted through my door (Lifford area) for a group (?) calling themselves African Children in Need. There is no charity number or contact details attached, just a picture of a sick child and a plea to donate clothing, shoes etc. and leave it out for collection.
    From information posted on this site and elsewhere, these types of collection are usually bogus and result in genuine charity shops losing out while scammers sell on the best of the 'donations' for profit.
    :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭!

Yes. It's usually the tinkers that collect these pretending they're for charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭babaloushka

! wrote: »
    Yes. It's usually the tinkers that collect these pretending they're for charity.
    I believe (from what I've read) that it's organised gangs rather than travellers. It seems to be a countrywide problem, both here and in the UK. It's despicable, especially as they are prepared to use any angle for their own profit - breast cancer, orphans, global disasters etc! If Karma really exists, they have earned themselves a shed load of the bad kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 nmg-lky

got one in the door as well today, Letterkenny

I believe (from what I've read) that it's organised gangs rather than travellers. It seems to be a countrywide problem, both here and in the UK. It's despicable, especially as they are prepared to use any angle for their own profit - breast cancer, orphans, global disasters etc! If Karma really exists, they have earned themselves a shed load of the bad kind.

Yes but if you ever see them around dropping them in...they look like that kind anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

i know this thread is all about donegal but i get those stickers in my letter box every day monday to friday in dublin. i do shift work and i am often going out to work at 5am and see these people out delivering those stickers.

i made enquiries about them being genuine charities a while ago and i am told that unless they have a registered number(which is still not always genuine) and appropriate contact details for the charity then they are most likley bogus. apparently alot of them are taking the clothes and selling them and none of it goes to charity at all.

the things i was told to look out for are mainly the registered number, contact details and also the grammer and spelling. alot of the bogus ones will have terrible grammer and spelling on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Once upon a time, they used to be a good source of free (albeit flimsy) bin liners, but nowadays I just get a piece of paper or a sticker. I guess the recession may have hit these guys :)

Sure the bags have holes in them or are very light. Wouldn't hold a tinker in them! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I get them all the time..usually around one or two a week. Didnt know the true story behind them but luckily Ive never left one out anyway

Advertisement