Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice?!?!?

• 16-06-2009 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Me and my friend rent a lovely house which we have been living in for the past four/ five months. Recently the empty third bedroom in the house was taken by a girl from France. She is only here for three months on a work transfer. She's been here for a couple of weeks and we've all been getting on well when, without any word or warning, her friend showed up from France and is staying in her room! Now I wouldn't have a problem if she had of asked but she didn't say a word to either of us. The friend is also here on a work transfer (same job) and apparently is staying in ours until she can find a house. She has looked at a house which isn't available until the end of this month and so is planning to stay until then. I have been told all of this by my friend as the other girl hasn't bothered to say anything to me about it! Now my question is- should I contact my landlord? For one thing I know extra people aren't covered under the insurance of the house. For another, the house is barely big enough for three, never mind four! And then we have to consider bills and necessities (toilet paper, tooth paste.... etc.) all of which DO add up, especially if this girl (who I haven't even met! I'm living with a stranger!!!) is planning on staying for as long as she says! So should myself and my friend contact the landlord? I may sound scabby to some but I have been taken advantage of before and I'm wary of it happening again. Sorry for the looooong post! :cool: Cheers everyone! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,451 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tooth paste
    You share tooth paste? :eek:

What is the renting arrangement, are you renting a house or just rooms?

You need to sit down, the three housemates and talk it out. Potentially have the visitor contribute something to the rent for the time she stays. If I was staying with someone, I'd help out + buy at least 2 restaurant meals per week for the hosts.

If there is no agreement, then perhaps talk to the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 motley_scrue

Victor wrote: »
    You share tooth paste? :eek:

Ha ha yeah a tube of toothpaste is pretty big, no point all buying a seperate one! :D

Thanks for the advice! We're renting a house. To be honest I can't see this other girl giving money when the one who just moved in won't even buy toilet paper! And there's a HUGE language barrier so I don't even know how we'd begin to make her understand she should contribute something.... argh, we'll try anyway!

Advertisement