Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance In The North Question

• 16-06-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hey there,
    I need a bit of advice or info on this.Ok I recently purchased a car from england and brought it back.It'l cost me more than I can afford to vrt it and I only want it for the rest of the summer as I won't need it again when I'm back at college.

However won't I run into alot of trouble with the guards down here with the northern reg even though it would be insured,mot'd and taxed?

Also I'm currently thinking of moving up to belfast for the summer and move in with the brother and hopefully get a job so will need a car but have heard you have to live up there for so long before ya can take out car insurance or something?Also concerned that when I do come home for the weekend to visit the folks that If I get stopped they may not believe that I am actually living in belfast.

Anyone care to shed some light on this and whats the best option for me?
    Note: I cannot afford to pay for vrt...I know this is the easiest option overall but simply can't!!

Cheers,
    Rich

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If you can't afford to pay the VRT then your options are:

1. Sell the car and buy an ROI registered car for the summer

or

2. Move to Belfast and insure the car there. You can ring ins cos/brokers there to clarify the situation with them.

In answer to your other question, if you're stopped here by Gardai/customs and can't prove that you're resident in the North then you risk having the car impounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

How'd you get it insured? surely you woulda needed a UK address? If the guards stop you and you whip out a republic license, more than likely something bad will happen in the way of fines or an impound!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭RichCRX

I haven't insured the car...thats the point of the thread,to find out the legalality of the two things I may be doing..staying here or moving up north.Ok my question is for anyone that may know...do you have to be living up the north for a while in order to get insurance?

Also how does anyone down south get insurance with an insurance company on an english reg car?I know a lot of people doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

You dont need to be living in the north for any length of time to get insurance, but you do need an address to get insured with a british insurance company who can cover you to drive in the republic.

Ok thanks for that.Unless I get a job looks like i'll be selling her again:(

Thanks Lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

RichCRX wrote: »
    Ok my question is for anyone that may know...do you have to be living up the north for a while in order to get insurance?
    I've never heard of this myself. If you want a reliable answer, though, why don't you ask a few ins cos?
    RichCRX wrote: »
    Also how does anyone down south get insurance with an insurance company on an english reg car?I know a lot of people doing that.
    Quite a few southern ins cos will insure UK regd cars indefinitely.

Ya I'll ring them up and see what the craic is with it just to be definate about it.

Advertisement