Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for immersion element and bath ubend replacement?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to get an immersion element replaced and a leakey u-bend replaced?

I tried to sort the u-bend but I cannot get it to tighten enough to stop dripping and I don't want to damage the bath, so to preserve my kitchen ceiling and sanity I am going to get it "done" but I have no idea of what it could cost for both jobs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

-half days work to a plumber about 100 euro for plumber and 50-80 for an electrician. I know a good electrician to wire it up if your stuck. PM ME

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Hi,

The U-bend on the bath just replace it. More than likely the rubber gasket is damaged and not sitting correctly.
    Immersion element can cost about 60Euro, immersion spanner about 8Euro. Thats if your willing to try it yourself, if not get a professional to replace it for you.

Regards,
    Bull76.

Bull76 wrote: »
    Hi,

The U-bend on the bath just replace it. More than likely the rubber gasket is damaged and not sitting correctly.
    Immersion element can cost about 60Euro, immersion spanner about 8Euro. Thats if your willing to try it yourself, if not get a professional to replace it for you.

Regards,
    Bull76.

Hi Bull what do you do where the plumbers have boss whited the threads. I am always afraid to take the nut off this incase the tread which are soft - tear

Hi Joey the lips,

If there is boss white on the threads, it can be an issue, not only can the threads be damaged but also the tank can get kinked when loosening.
    Just don't empty the tank when one goes to loosen the immersion heater. Only think I can say is to try and tighten the immersion fitting just a tad and then loosen, The tightening should break the seal of the Boss white. Probably need and entension piece for the immersion spanner. You might be lucky and the only seal is a gasket. If so make sure to replace it and not re-use it.
    Have had the joy of having to remove a few immersion heaters and cylinders. Just be calm and don't get worked up.
    If in doubt get a plumber to replace it for you. As for the wiring, if your not confident in electrics then get an electrician to remove and install immersion heater wiring for you.

Bull76.

Hi Joey the lips,

If there is boss white on the threads, it can be an issue, not only can the threads be damaged but also the tank can get kinked when loosening.
    Just don't empty the tank when one goes to loosen the immersion heater. Only think I can say is to try and tighten the immersion fitting just a tad and then loosen, The tightening should break the seal of the Boss white. Probably need and entension piece for the immersion spanner. You might be lucky and the only seal is a gasket. If so make sure to replace it and not re-use it.
    Have had the joy of having to remove a few immersion heaters and cylinders. Just be calm and don't get worked up.
    If in doubt get a plumber to replace it for you. As for the wiring, if your not confident in electrics then get an electrician to remove and install immersion heater wiring for you.

Bull76.

I tell you where I am coming from I have a plumbing and heating backround, know everything about it but have not got a clue how to physically do it. My tank is covered in boss white I had a pluber out but he was reluctant to tackle it. He knows me so did not want to mess it up. You get the jist. No money in it for him.

I dont want to get the immersion donw but. I was thinking of using a heat gun but as its copper!

• Advertisement

Hi Joey,

Do you actually need the immersion? If not leave alone. But I'm guessing you do need it or some one else in the household requires it.
    The issue with the boss white is you have to break the seal on the threads it has caused. Again, immersion spanner not an open ended spanner. Use a hammer and tap the spanner as if your trying to tighten it, again just a tad, then tap it loose just a tad should get some movement on it, might have to do this a few times.
    Worst case scenario is the tank kinks. Best to do all this with the tank full.
    Not a nice job and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Bull76

Hi Joey,

Do you actually need the immersion? If not leave alone. But I'm guessing you do need it or some one else in the household requires it.
    The issue with the boss white is you have to break the seal on the threads it has caused. Again, immersion spanner not an open ended spanner. Use a hammer and tap the spanner as if your trying to tighten it, again just a tad, then tap it loose just a tad should get some movement on it, might have to do this a few times.
    Worst case scenario is the tank kinks. Best to do all this with the tank full.
    Not a nice job and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Bull76

Knowing what I know you would wonder why these days.

I want to get an immersion long term cause when the [EMAIL="as@holes"]as@holes[/EMAIL] put in my tank they buried the heating diverter valve in at the back of the cylinder so I know its a cheap one and the springs go after a couple of years so I figured if I got an immersion I could use the immersion summertime and leave the zone valve permanantly on heating.

Why did I allow it? Cause I got the trad builder sh1t "buy the house of someone else will"

Thats all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

do you not have to empty the tank to remove the immerser?

Yes but bulls point and he is free to correct me is if you break the seal on the nut and retighten it the full tank will possibly help prevent the soft copper of the tank kinking. Do ya get me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cazze

fenris wrote: »
    Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to get an immersion element replaced and a leakey u-bend replaced?

I tried to sort the u-bend but I cannot get it to tighten enough to stop dripping and I don't want to damage the bath, so to preserve my kitchen ceiling and sanity I am going to get it "done" but I have no idea of what it could cost for both jobs.
    Hi i got the exact same job done earlier in the year
    i used an Electrician of adverts.ie he was very resonable
    he did other work too so not sure what he charged
    i think his user name his 51 fun he's based in dublin
    but does travel he did a job for my sister in drogheda !

P.m if you want his number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

No, it is not necessary to completely empty the tank. You only need to remove enough water so the level is just below the immersion threaded hole.

Just put down some newspaper around the base of the cylinder.
    Attach the immersion spanner and tap lightly with a mallet. As soon as you see some movement in the nut get a bath towel and wrap one end around the immersion where it enters the tank. Put the other end of the towel into a good sized bucket.

As you loosen out the immersion the towel will carry the water down into the bucket. You can control the flow by tightening back the immersion.

Hi,

As most of the guys here have said, you don't need to empty the tank. You do have to turn off the water supply to the tank or water will gush out and no matter what you have to contain it, it simple won't be enough.

Hope this helps and anyone doing such good luck. Keep the question's coming we'll do our best to answer.

Regards,
    Bull76

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Hi,

As most of the guys here have said, you don't need to empty the tank. You do have to turn off the water supply to the tank or water will gush out and no matter what you have to contain it, it simple won't be enough.

Hope this helps and anyone doing such good luck. Keep the question's coming we'll do our best to answer.

Regards,
    Bull76

Yes, of course. Good point!

Just remember to turn off the electricity as well. ;)

Advertisement