Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

mitsubishi...gas guzzlers???

• 16-06-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi all, i bought my first car this year...u guessed it, its a misubishi. a 95 Colt Gli to be exact...the oldschool model with round lights

since i'm new to cars i didnt know how much fuel a car would or should eat. this thing is box standard and it eats a 10er fuel like crazy....and thats with me driving 3.7km down the road to the shopping center....like wtf??? i dont even think a Koenigseggs CCX eats this much fuel

i havent serviced the car yet as i was hoping to do it once it reaches 90k miles. (its on 89 ATM)

could it just be my fuel sensor(or whatever its called) is broken?? or is it just MY CAR alone??? because i just passed the NCT and the emissions was well under(IF THAT COUNTS FOR ANYTHING)

thanks for reading:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Your only putting 10euros in that is nothing considering price of petrol lately.
    What sizs engine is it?
    What way do you drive?
    All effects mpg.
    I doubt its too big cc wise.
    Fill it up you can calculate it better from a fill rather then a drop!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

fill it up ,
    no point in putting 10 euro in a empty tank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 i_have_scutts

its only 1.3.....my mate said its because mitsi's eat the petrol like crazy

i borrowed a mate's starlet and drove it for the week...OMG the difference was huge...7 days of driving and it only drank half the fuel (approx 10-14mile perday)

another mate said that she could be leaking, if so, then i doubt she would've passed the NCT

and another mate said it was to do with her fuel pump?????

i think i need to service her :confused:

i dont drive aggressively as i dont like to speed. oh 1 of my friends own a 2litre RAV4 94', and he drive the sh*t out of it and still gets more mileage than me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

Give it a full service and see, if the air filter is dirty it will use more petrol.

• Advertisement

thanks..will do

to do list: T-belt
    w-pump
    air filter
    oil filter
    spark plugs
    equals ONE BROKE LAD lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

thanks..will do

to do list: T-belt
    w-pump
    air filter
    oil filter
    spark plugs
    equals ONE BROKE LAD lol

Is it due a belt? Make that top the list no point in doing the rest if the engine goes!

i dunno if its due a belt but im gonna change the belt for piece of mind... would the belt make that big a dif in the fuel??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Paddy001 wrote: »
    Is it due a belt? Make that top the list no point in doing the rest if the engine goes!
    I'd put a compression/leakdown test top of the list, no point in doing any of the work if the engine's toast.;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

it eats a 10er fuel like crazy....and thats with me driving 3.7km down the road to the shopping center.
    Are you saying that it uses €10 of fuel (a little more than 8 litres) in 3.7kms or that you only do journeys of about 3.7kms?

• Advertisement

a compression test?? never heard of that haha...eh u mind me asking how the test would be carried out?

and driving 3.7km after filling up with a stingey 10er, it eats about 3euro worth...might not sound like much but its a third of what i put in. and if i count it all up...taking the bus is much much cheaper :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

to work out your MPG as good as possible,

1. Fill up the tank till the nozzle clicks.

2. re-set the trip mileage.

3. drive it for a few days, you don't have to drive it till empty. but the longer the better

4. Fill it up again till nozzle clicks. note on paper exact amount of petrol put into car, note from trip meter mileage...

now you have all you need, how many litres of petrol you used to travel x amount of miles

go to a website like http://www.eforecourt.com/calc_mpg.htm
    and enter stuff and you will get a fairly accurate MPG for your car..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

a compression test?? never heard of that haha...eh u mind me asking how the test would be carried out?

It'd say its be something like removing the sparkplugs, replace them with sensors/gauges, and crank the engine. The sensors will then tell how much compression the rising and falling pistons create, and help determine if the piston rings need replacing (if they're leaking and letting gas escape past them, you wont have as much compression)

..or something

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is there an automatic or manual choke on the car? if it's manual, check that it's pushed in.

ok i putted a tenner in and filled the quarter of the meter....zero's my tripmeter and its 58.9km (could be miles) before the arrow went down...still no red icon flashing yet

now is this good mileage or bad????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

ok i putted a tenner in and filled the quarter of the meter....zero's my tripmeter and its 58.9km (could be miles) before the arrow went down...still no red icon flashing yet

now is this good mileage or bad????:confused:

This is why they tried to teach you maths in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Stop looking at how much "money" your putting in. Look at the litres you put in then you can judge the mileage.
    Remember there is a reserve in the tank when it goes into the red. This will all effect your perceived mpg.

Is the speedo in miles or km?
    Honestly fill the car up gives a better judge on what your mpg is fill it up FULLY reset the trip, take note of the LITRES you put in the car not the amount.

Petrol is around 1.19 now so a tenner this week aint as good as it was 2weeks ago.
    More importantly a tenner aint what it was when we where growing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

beertons wrote: »
    Is there an automatic or manual choke on the car? if it's manual, check that it's pushed in.

The car is '95 not '75 :)

at 119 cent a liter.....it would be 8.39 liters from a 10er

my car is in miles...then has small kilometers under

now is 58.9 good???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

now is 58.9 good???

Good for what though?!? Does it equate to exactly a tenners juice?!? The only way to find out for sure the mpg is to FILL THE TANK, RESET TRIP and drive a few days. Then fill up and do the math...like said above...

If it was exactly a tenners juice it's not bad at all if used about town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I dont think those things are affecting your Mitsu's fuel consumption much OP, I had a 1.3 Lancer ( same engine as yours I think ) and it used to drink petrol on short journey's, but once I had it on the national roads for more than 30miles it was ok.Its not the most fuel efficent little engine, but its bulletproof, keep oil in her and she will go forever.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    I dont think those things are affecting your Mitsu's fuel consumption much OP, I had a 1.3 Lancer ( same engine as yours I think ) and it used to drink petrol on short journey's, but once I had it on the national roads for more than 30miles it was ok.Its not the most fuel efficent little engine, but its bulletproof, keep oil in her and she will go forever.

yeah my car is like that too. would you reckon it need new oil etc???

and is 58.9mile from 8.3 liters of fuel good mileage?...is what i wanted to know

Zube wrote: »
    This is why they tried to teach you maths in school.

what are you on about???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

and is 58.9mile from 8.3 liters of fuel good mileage?...is what i wanted to know

8.3 litres is 1.828 gallons.

58.9/1.828 is about 32.2 mpg - if this is on a short urban journey it is perfectly normal for the type of car

But the way you are assuming it was 8.3 litres exactly is not accurate. Only way to know is fill the tank, drive and fill again at about a quarter full. The way you are doing it is like asking how long is a piece of string

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

By your rough figures thats 32 MPG which is not too bad for town driving in a petrol I would say.

As others have said multiple times, FILL IT UP, reset your trip clock and drive it for a few days, then fill it up again and see how many liters it takes. Its the only accurate way of measuring your MPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭tc20

is 58.9mile from 8.3 liters of fuel good mileage?...is what i wanted to know

mpg = miles per gallon.

1 gallon = 4.55 litres (approx)

8.3 litres =
    gallons.

58.9/
    =
    mpg, i'd say thats pretty decent if you're just tootling about.

However, you dont seem too sure if your trip clock is in miles or kms. If its kms, you're getting fairly crap economy.

edit: looks like there's a few of us here doing the maths for you

but why dont you try doing the maths yourself?

Also as suggested here already, throwing a tenner in and trying to judge your mpg from that isnt the most exact way

edit: looks like there's a few of us here doing the maths for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Putting a tener in when the red light comes on is not saving you money. Fill the thing to the brim and reset your mileage. Unless it's a Jap import then your odometer is in miles.
    Drive until it's empty. Then go back into the garage, and fill it to the brim again. This time look at the litres it took to fill it, and look at the miles done. Come back here with the results.
    Forget the tener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

As others have said, if you want to work out fuel economy and your car doesn't have a trip computer, the only accurate way you can do it is by filling the tank.

You put in a tenner's worth of petrol, but you don't know how much was in the tank as it wasn't completely empty. You could have used 8 litres, or you could have used 10 or anything. Fuel gauges are very inaccurate - you can usually go past the empty line before actually running out as they don't really want you to run out. So you can't go by the size of the tank either - my car still has about 5 litres in it when "empty" as it is a 40 litre tank and it will only fill to about 35 at most.

The only accurate measurement you have is at the pump. So you have to fill the tank, reset your trip counter, and fill it again whenever - then you will have the amount of petrol you used (because you refilled it to the same point - the only accurate point you can use is full) and the distance you travelled with it.

alri, cool. thanks for all the posts. i'll fill the thing up aftfer i get over this flu

:)

• Advertisement

hi guys. sorry for taking so long to reply

anyways i filled her up and drove to waterford. got abit lost on the way since the gps was a bit old ha. anyways during the whole trip up and back, i got 295 miles out off her... would you reckon this acceptable? or is it eating too much petrol for a 1.3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

How many litres did it take to fill the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I take it 30 filled the car - which funnily enough brings us back to the tenner :)

Also - major difference between motorway mpg and city mpg

may need to fill her up again ;)

Advertisement