Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marlay park golf

• 16-06-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi

I was up in Marlay park recently and noticed that they are well advanced with their new golf course design. Was wondering if anyone had any info about it as google search seems to be throwing up v little.

Specifically
    - when is it due for completion?
    - how many holes ? (the holes currently in design seem quite long, and the area isnt huge - hard to see how they can fit more than about 6 holes in)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ProGolfer82

I heard its going to be 9 holes, looks really good from what you can see from outside.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Sounds fantastic.

Remember playing the Marley Park Par 3 course I reckon 9 or 10 years ago and it being so dull. There was no life around the place and the holes were in dire condition and layout as well.

Any news when it'll be open will be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

was only talking about it last night but one of the lads said it looks like they have synthetic greens down which would be a bit of a joke as i know first hand they don't last and will be like rocks in a few years

Its going to be open the end of May, the greens and tee's are synthetic but as far as i know there will be a team of green keepers brushing and rolling them regularly. I know someone involved in the project and there very happy with how its turned out! Its something different i suppose! Great for short game practice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 EnjoyandImprove

hi guys
    its going to open either thursday or friday of next week, yeah 9 holes and its synthetic greens, i have practiced alot on these greens and they are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Dubdude

Is it still going to be a par 3 course

as far as i know its a full lenght course...

Its a 9 hole Par 3 course, all the holes are proper par 3s though. They range from 165yards to 90yards. Its opening next Friday the 21st. I think there will be a website launch this weekend sometime, i'll try and find out.

Awesome, look forward to playing it.

Next step, add some floodlights like some of the courses(P and P and Par 3) I've played in Dubai :DWon't happen I know.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it looks short enough, you can have a pretty clear view of a lot of the holes from the park itself. The greens look ok, but doubt they will hold up very well. They'll have to be relaid every few years or will be useless. Interesting to see how the fences work out too, one of the longer holes has the green backing on to a lowish fence up against a busy path in the main park.

Marlay Golf Course Opening Friday 21st of May. Check it out at http://www.marlaygolfcourse.com/mysitecaddy/site3/home.htm . The time sheet will be available Monday from 9am.

Superb stuff.

Look forward to playing it.

copacetic wrote: »
    it looks short enough, you can have a pretty clear view of a lot of the holes from the park itself. The greens look ok, but doubt they will hold up very well. They'll have to be relaid every few years or will be useless. Interesting to see how the fences work out too, one of the longer holes has the green backing on to a lowish fence up against a busy path in the main park.

Jesus christ man, give it a chance. It's not even opened and you've the place condemned.

From the website it looks really, really good. And going by the scorecard (and the pics of all the water) it looks challenging enough for all levels.

Not too sure who counted up the yardage total though... :D

Jesus christ man, give it a chance. It's not even opened and you've the place condemned.

From the website it looks really, really good. And going by the scorecard (and the pics of all the water) it looks challenging enough for all levels.

Not too sure who counted up the yardage total though... :D

Not really, just giving the other side of the coin and artificial greens and tees simply won't hold up, they wear out. It's a fact.

It looks like a grand short par3 course. The pics make some of the holes look longer than they are in real life though.

Not really, just giving the other side of the coin and artificial greens and tees simply won't hold up, they wear out. It's a fact.

It looks like a grand short par3 course. The pics make some of the holes look longer than they are in real life though.

I'd question whether you would want the holes to be overly long, given who it's being aimed at. But still, going by the card yardages, there's a good mix in there.

I'm dubious myself about the lifespan of artificial greens, but will have a go of it before i judge the place.

I'd question whether you would want the holes to be overly long, given who it's being aimed at.

absolutely, it was really the post above saying it was 'a full length course' that I was responding to in saying that it was short. One of the holes downhill over water looks lovely and it will be a nice way to spend an hour or so.

as i said ive practiced all winter on these greens, they are really good, there are currently golf courses (full length) being fitted with synthetic greens in russia and in france for sure and i would guess elsewhere also, i would say they will hold up no problem, i guess time will tell. seriously though this will be awesome in the winter guys, I heard today that they have apointed a pro and there will be a pro shop and everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭jimjo

With the winters we've had of late, i'd say the place will do great business when other courses are closed. Hope the greens hold up.

The photos look great, will give it a go if I'm ever about the area. The best of luck to them.

as i said ive practiced all winter on these greens, they are really good, there are currently golf courses (full length) being fitted with synthetic greens in russia and in france for sure and i would guess elsewhere also, i would say they will hold up no problem, i guess time will tell. seriously though this will be awesome in the winter guys, I heard today that they have apointed a pro and there will be a pro shop and everything

They are plastic, it wears out. There are loads of hockey and 5 a side pitches around dublin of similar material and it needs to be relaid every few years. Possibly these will last a little longer but I'd hope that DLRC have planned for the relaying, hopefully before they go too hard and worn though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

They are plastic, it wears out. There are loads of hockey and 5 a side pitches around dublin of similar material and it needs to be relaid every few years. Possibly these will last a little longer but I'd hope that DLRC have planned for the relaying, hopefully before they go too hard and worn though.

+1
    they don't last,the courses in Russia that the other lad was talking about are a necesity,i have a friend in the business and they last about 5 years,they loose any sort of forgiveness after that and it's like playing into tar mac almost
    that said i will bring my son as he would like the novelty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Link to the website. The rates look a little fruity for a Pitch & Putt. Score card link below. Only three of the nine holes over 150 and their totals are funny:D

http://www.marlaygolfcourse.com/mysitecaddy/site3/golfrates.htm

http://www.marlaygolfcourse.com/mysitecaddy/site3/coursecard.htm

Already linked a few posts back and someone earlier today spammed linked the site as well.

If they want to be encouraging people to play they'll need to reduce the prices on the weekend I feel especially for us students, perhaps a few us of will claim to be family ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Iangolf

Played the new course on Friday for free,

I think its a great little par 3 course, varied and interesting holes. The greens are very receptive to chips and full shots coming in. They are very fast and true.

Nice choice of pin positions available on the greens. shame they dont have the other holes filled in while not in use. I lipped out of the wrong hole from the tee on one of the holes.

Great facility, and good practice. I would highly reccomend it for all golfers.

Ps I shot 5 over 32 through 9 holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I played there yesterday and would agree with most of what the previous poster said. They did have the alternate holes filled in when we were playing though. I really like the astro turf tee boxes, felt very natural. The greens are a bit controversial. They do have a bit of 'give' so that high balls coming down will sit nicely. Putting is a bit of a nightmare though, you have to be very gentle or the ball will just cruise past the hole and keep going :(

I'll definitely go back again and bring more clubs next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭uptheroyals

played it the opening day too i thought it was great fun :) greens were great to pitch too, a couple were a bit bumpy to putt on, but spoke to a guy in the shop he said the more there played on the more theyll settle down?? they can get them super fast though, some of the down hill ones were pretty quik. Cobra are having some nearest to the pin thing wednesday, anyone know anything about it? just seen posters around the shop??

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Does anyone know do you have to wear golf shoes or golf clothes in this place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Punchbowl4

presume this is open evenings, does anyone have a phone number, do i need to book?

Does anyone know do you have to wear golf shoes or golf clothes in this place?

Nope I was just wearing runners, shorts and a tshirt.

presume this is open evenings, does anyone have a phone number, do I need to book?

Marlay park is open till 9pm during the summer so I'd say latest you could tee off for 9 holes would 7.30ish? We didn't book, just arrived up and it was quiet enough for us to tee off straight away. I checked my score card and there is no phone number on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

So any further opinions on the course.

My thoughts after playing last week would be:

Price is quite steep, €18 for 18.
    Greens would not be to my taste at all.
    Started at 14.05 and finished at 17.45.
    Bunkers where exceptionally.
    Tee Boxes where not entirely used as there was a large number of divot marks which will get worse.
    Its a good layout, though the last few holes are quite simple.

On another note I was in the park on Saturday and the course was empty, thought it was closed but it was open when I had got around to the entrance, maybe it was the football, but would be interesting to see how its getting on now three or so weeks in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

€18 for 18 holes is just crazy, no wonder the place is empty. Who ever came up with that pricing plan hasn't a clue, no point in charging Irish prices and the place empty. Why not leave it at max €10 for 18 and try and entice people to play. I won't be playing at those prices anyway.

€18 for 18 holes is just crazy, no wonder the place is empty. Who ever came up with that pricing plan hasn't a clue, no point in charging Irish prices and the place empty. Why not leave it at max €10 for 18 and try and entice people to play. I won't be playing at those prices anyway.

Yeah its a bit silly when you consider that the proper 9 hole course in Stepaside which is also owned and run by the DLR county council is only €17 for 18 holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Played on this a while back. Great par 3 apart from the greens. They are just too fast. Was hitting most greens with off the tee but the they'ed bounce off because of the greens. Its like putting on an astro tuff pitch. Not my cup of tea. Pity because the holes are nicely laid out. Prices could be a bit lower aswell.

Said this a few times, including above but the pricing his poor IMO especially for the weekend and playing 18 holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

played this today, nice layout and some nice challenging holes, I also like the idea of multiple tee boxes

the big let down thought was the greens, I thought I was playing Augusta they were so fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

+ive
    Overall Layout
    Course Condition

-ive
    Pricing
    Greens - although they receive a shot fairly well, they are impossible to chip onto and putt on. There are just not true and the ball hops and skips along for every putt

Overall
    A nice little track to tighten up your short iron and chipping game

I'm not sure if I would be rushing back though, unless I lived in the area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

So, after a few years use how is the course and in particular the greens holding up? Pricing seems to have dropped to €10 for 18 which seems incredible value. Worth playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So, after a few years use how is the course and in particular the greens holding up? Pricing seems to have dropped to €10 for 18 which seems incredible value. Worth playing?

You do know its a par 3 course with artificial greens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭54and56

First Up wrote: »
    You do know its a par 3 course with artificial greens?
    Yes but I don't know how it actually plays. I'm equidistant to the Marley Course or some of the Stepaside Par 3 courses so looking for a steer as to whether it's worth going to Marlay or whether I should stick to the Stepaside courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Yes but I don't know how it actually plays. I'm equidistant to the Marley Course or some of the Stepaside Par 3 courses so looking for a steer as to whether it's worth going to Marlay or whether I should stick to the Stepaside courses.

This time of year, I would go Stepaside or similar. Marlay's main attraction is that it plays all year. The artificial grass is a novelty but I don't think it is particularly good preparation for the "real thing".

• Advertisement
Advertisement