Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Carina II milage over 600k mies?

• 16-06-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

There are rumors around Galway of a Toyota Carina II used by a Cabbie that was @ over 600k mies. I have heard of it in a number of conversations some say it has done a million miles.. I had a Carina many years ago and it was unstopable and was called the 'Tank'.
    Has anyone heard of the feat? Agree that it could be possible?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Totally possible. Shure there is Scania Trucks and the like with well over a million k's on them, why not a jap car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

theres a merc e200 i was in while in teneriffe with 1.2 million kilometers on the clock, totally possible

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

Maybe its an Irish thing then, I remember looking at cars in Austrailia with highmilage. We seem to think once over 100k tis towards end of life.
    I'm looking forward to someday seeing this ledengary Carina II, if I had space I'd buy another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I put my car through the NCT this morning with 290000 miles, passed no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

I too have heard of the galway taxi. Anyone from galway here to confirm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thing is 100k miles done on an average Irish car is probably like doing 500k miles on a US or Australian car. Their roads are generally better and they more than likely maintain and take care of their cars alot more than us Irish do.

Mercs of old were also well capable of doing huge mileage as they were engineered to last. But 600k miles is also achievable on a little old Carina II, I heard there was a Corolla taxi around Shannon many years ago that apparently had around 500k miles on the original engine and gearbox.

Delighted to hear someone else has heard of this Galway taxi, as far as I know it was on the same engine and well above the 600k.
    Your right that Aussie & american roads are less taxing (in all sences of the words) but 5 times?
    Remember american cars have a lot of things and cold to deal with with lots of salt etc. Ive seen cars in Boston eaten alive from salt they use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

JTfan wrote: »
    Sorry

Dont let it happen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Toyota Carina's the best car know to man??

Answer: yes

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

JTfan wrote: »
    Sorry

This guys a tool.....he posts "sorry"on random threads all over boards.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

theres a merc e200 i was in while in teneriffe with 1.2 million kilometers on the clock, totally possible

The last time I was in Tenerife I was in a Merc e250d just short of a million km. The roads there are no better than here. The world record (from memory) is something like 5 million km on a Merc diesel taxi in Greece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I was in a W210 (E300TD) taxi in Greece with 980,000kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭black & white

bazz26 wrote: »
    Thing is 100k miles done on an average Irish car is probably like doing 500k miles on a US or Australian car. Their roads are generally better and they more than likely maintain and take care of their cars alot more than us Irish do.

Mercs of old were also well capable of doing huge mileage as they were engineered to last. But 600k miles is also achievable on a little old Carina II, I heard there was a Corolla taxi around Shannon many years ago that apparently had around 500k miles on the original engine and gearbox.

Correct. Don't know if I can mention the name of the company on here but it def did happen. Toyota did a big ad campaign using it. I think the taxi co got a new one and Toyota took the old one back to see exactly what they did right. Must be 20 years ago or more now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭skibum

98 VW passat tdi taxi with 493,000 miles on the clock, only major work done on it was a new clutch....
    http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25624&hl=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

MotteDai wrote: »
    Delighted to hear someone else has heard of this Galway taxi, as far as I know it was on the same engine and well above the 600k.
    Possible it has 600k but no way could it be the first day engine as the engines are scrap after 200-300k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Carlossainz73

And here we are changing our cars after 60-80k comes up on the clock!.. makes you think about all the money we waste!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Over 600k?:D

Just about to turn over 70,000 genuine miles here. Not even run in yet:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If my ould lad could put up nearly 350k miles on a mk I fiat uno, 600k should be bread and butter to a carina II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

I met the owner of the first Renault 5 registerd in Ireland. Its done 750k miles on the original engine and gear box, mind you the owner cherished this car from day 1. His attitude is that there is too much over rated useless crap going into cars of today

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I was in a W210 (E300TD) taxi in Greece with 980,000kms.

That's surprising. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised though if it was its predecessor, the W124. The W210 just doesn't compare to any Merc before it quality-wise.

First day engine reportably, so the ledgend goes, and 600k was the most conservative of estimates. I don't think shes on the road now anymore, I have never been in it but all cabbies in Oranmore/East Galway area knew about it..
    Seemilgy the seats were only a little worn......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I met the owner of the first Renault 5 registerd in Ireland. Its done 750k miles on the original engine and gear box, mind you the owner cherished this car from day 1. His attitude is that there is too much over rated useless crap going into cars of today

Thats the only difference between scrap and good cars really. Any car kept and serviced well from new will do huge mileage. The problem is it only takes one bad owner, of which there are hundreds of thousands, to ruin a perfectly good car.

I guarentee I could take any car from new and run it toocollossal mileage becaus eI treat my cars very well. ( If boards users want to all pitch in I'm prepared to be the suject of a long term study :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Possible it has 600k but no way could it be the first day engine as the engines are scrap after 200-300k.

A friend of mine in Finland had a citroen bx diesel with over a million kms on the origional engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

When I was in Lanzarote a few years ago I was in a taxi that had over a million km's on it, nearly all of the Merc taxi's there have huge milage on em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Luke Crowley

VolvoMan wrote: »
    That's surprising. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised though if it was its predecessor, the W124. The W210 just doesn't compare to any Merc before it quality-wise.

:D In fairness to the W210 though, there are quite a few around with mega mileages. Yes, they look like cr*p and probably have to be started with a screwdriver, but the important bits seem to be quite long lasting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Theres a guy I know who when he sold his 94 Corolla it had half a million miles on it. Saw an ad on buyandsell/some other mag that had another Corolla advertised with 3,000 miles on it and in brackets (just been around the clock)

...so to answer your question its totally possible that a carina II would havd this mileage on it, I had one myself up until Christmas and it was just shy of 300miles before I started bollox acting in it and I bent the cam :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Not surprising at all, if a car is well looked after it can go a hell of a long time but other times it can be just luck :pac:. In my parents case it was just luck, they had a bright yellow small box of a subaru in the late 80s early 90s that had something like 450k miles when they eventually sold it, was covered in rust but was still running no problem and when they sold it the new owner drove it away. Can't for the life of me remember the model but I remember it had something like a 900cc engine. They had a tow bar put on it and they used buy kitchen appliances and big things like that and bring them home in the trailer. Imagine a pulling a chest freezer with a 900cc engine :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

Not surprised, bulletproof cars, especially the diesel. Friend of mine had an 88 Daihatsu Charade with just under 600,000 on it.

BTW the engine could have been changed on any of these examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Check this out..........

Subaru High milage club..

http://home.comcast.net/~nv1z/subaruhighmileage.html
    a salesman who has covered an amazing 800,000 km in his Outback! Half the time towing a caravan! He uses the car to deliver the caravans with.
    The car has just been to a state inspection in April and passed with no remarks. It's still running original engine, gearbox, springs, dampers, and exhaust. The only main repair has been headgaskets....at 680,000 km. A front CV joint and both rear wheel bearings have also been replaced.

From my own experience Subaru's eat the miles.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats the only difference between scrap and good cars really. Any car kept and serviced well from new will do huge mileage. The problem is it only takes one bad owner, of which there are hundreds of thousands, to ruin a perfectly good car.

I guarentee I could take any car from new and run it toocollossal mileage becaus eI treat my cars very well. ( If boards users want to all pitch in I'm prepared to be the suject of a long term study :))

I agree with this. Irish users in general are a disgrace. That combined with poor roads, and you have cars with a crap life-span. Tractors are the perfect example of Irish owner mentallity. All caked up with muck, bits broken and missing for years, rust, in general shambles condition. Buy one from the UK and if any one part is broken off, it'll be in a box with the tractor when you buy it. They're so well maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

You can easily get out of 400k - 500k (km) out of the car, specially larger ones, if you just maintenance it well.

If you go to Northern Finland, there are many 400 000km + driven cars, even cars from France, like Peugeot 406, Renaults.

Also many small cars could have covered over 200 000km +, I even found couple of Renault Laguna II:s that had been driven over 250 000km:)

So nothing new for me really, but if you wan´t to get over 500 000km, then the cars are usually either Toyota, Volvo or MB. Specially W124 model MB, diesel of course, it is not really hard to find those cars driven over 800 000km, but of course with that numbers you have to do some maintenance as well.

But the culture and driving environment is so different, second hand cars cost much more so therefore they are kept going longer as well. The average scrappage age for cars in Finland is 18 years.

Good to hear the name "VOLVO" putting up many miles, my S40 is just turning the 98,000 marker.. the way things are lately I hope to get a few years more driving from this baby.I think the basic secret is fresh "Good" oil and oil filters at every service if not before!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Could be on its 2nd Engine Millage is for the whole Car not the Engine so if you get a Brand new Engine at 400 000 Miles Car Will still have 400 000 Miles ont he Clock if it hasnt been Clocked. ;)

only one small issue to resolve, can one live with the fact that you have to sit in and look at the same vehicle for the next 10 years or so!!!!!!!!!

I could respray and tie some furry dices in the mirror!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Here's an (out-of-date) Saab high mileage list.

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/miles/all.html

One guy has done over 1m miles on the original engine (transmission replaced).

http://www.jsonline.com/business/29181064.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

My uncle used to have a W124 300D as a taxi, bought with a broken odometer at about 350k miles.

Ford didn't seem very optimistic about their cars - most the older Fords I've seen with mechanical odometers only have 5 digits!
    Can't for the life of me remember the model but I remember it had something like a 900cc engine.

There was the Subaru Signet/M80/Rex (800cc - kei car like Daihatsu Domino or Suzuki Alto) and the Justy (1.0 or 1.2).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Have to say that French cars in general plough on to seriously high mileages if you're happy to replace the odd bit that falls off here and there. We have a Saxo with 130k hard-driven miles and the grandfather has a 406 with over 200k on it. I also remember being in several French taxis with 500k+ kilometres on the clock.

I think the problem is usually down to non existant maintenance and tight-fistedness when it comes to fixing things. The roads in Ireland, as much as we like to whine, aren't anywhere near as bad as they used to be. Can drive from Dublin to Cork now in under 3 hours and smooth as glass all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

My uncle used to have a W124 300D as a taxi, bought with a broken odometer at about 350k miles.

Ford didn't seem very optimistic about their cars - most the older Fords I've seen with mechanical odometers only have 5 digits!

There was the Subaru Signet/M80/Rex (800cc - kei car like Daihatsu Domino or Suzuki Alto) and the Justy (1.0 or 1.2).

Signet is the one alright, my parents will appreciate that. they couldn't remember the name of it either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

my mate was telling me a story about his brothers carina 2. It had bout 300k miles on it and they pretty much couldnt break the engine. For the craic they through it in neutral and put a brick on the accelerator. . . . . after 20mins of being stuck to the limiter it ran out of petrol. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

DaMonk wrote: »
    my mate was telling me a story about his brothers carina 2. It had bout 300k miles on it and they pretty much couldnt break the engine. For the craic they through it in neutral and put a brick on the accelerator. . . . . after 20mins of being stuck to the limiter it ran out of petrol. . .

Less of that talk, consider yourself warned.

Regards

CarinaMod.

DaMonk is into serious car abuse!!!!!!..... the poor vehicle, and all it ever did was to be faithful and reliable. think its push bike for you dude!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

DaMonk is into serious car abuse!!!!!!..... the poor vehicle, and all it ever did was to be faithful and reliable. think its push bike for you dude!:pac:
    haha, agree completely. I didn't do it though! I cringe when I think about it really even though its just a car. It should be allowed to rust gracefully in a garage or barn! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

VolvoMan wrote: »
    It was definitely a W210 as I had one myself (without any problems) for 5 years.
    most the older Fords I've seen with mechanical odometers only have 5 digits!
    Most older cars, regardless of make, had only 5 digits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..there was a Carina advertised for sale in the Galway Advertiser about 18mths ago, described as 500k, 'would suit farmer'..........I wonder is that the same car ?

....btw, 968 no2 just trundled past 153k this week.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well I have something to beat that.

I know of an 00 Isuzu Trooper here in Sligo.

It has a measly 250,000 miles on it, BUT, is on its original engine and anyone who knows these knows that is something special.

No worries DaMonk!.. sometimes I question all this mileage as we all know cars will only register up to 99,999 miles on the clock!!!!..

you have to take a persons word for it when they tell you they have so many hundred thousand on the clocks...

My neighbor has a little sawmill thingy going on he tows a three axle westwood trailer (Laided with 1-2tonne of timber) with his Nissan Sunny diesel, I hear that after 8 years of hard abuse he is not happy that a CV joint is atarting to make noise!!!!!!!!.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

sometimes I question all this mileage as we all know cars will only register up to 99,999 miles on the clock!!!!..

It's a long time ago that odometers had only 5 digits!

In a word.... OOOPPPPPSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

Have to say that French cars in general plough on to seriously high mileages if you're happy to replace the odd bit that falls off here and there. We have a Saxo with 130k hard-driven miles and the grandfather has a 406 with over 200k on it. I also remember being in several French taxis with 500k+ kilometres on the clock.

I think the problem is usually down to non existant maintenance and tight-fistedness when it comes to fixing things. The roads in Ireland, as much as we like to whine, aren't anywhere near as bad as they used to be. Can drive from Dublin to Cork now in under 3 hours and smooth as glass all the way.

French cars with 500K on clock with 3 new engines, suspension changed 3 times etc.. Like trigger in Only fools and horses with the same sweeping brush only 12 handles and 10 brush heads in 15 years

• Advertisement
Advertisement