Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Carina II milage over 600k mies?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Had a 1991 Merc 300TE Auto in Germany which did 890,000km before it was written off on the same engine and gearbox. Drove it in Russia at -48C and in Tunisia at +41C, never let me down. Got it at 240,000km and it was used as a company car.

Also had an 1989 Opel Senator 3.0 Auto, 550,000km, same engine. Mate got it second hand with 110,000km on it and drove 190km round trip to work on an autobahn every day for 8 or 9 years. Never moved it at the weekends. I had it for a few months, never used a drop of oil. Only paid €400 for it. Great car.

Lot of young people I knew in Germany used to drive W115 mercs with diesel engines in the late 80's and early 90s, usually had 500,000 to 1,000,000km on them.

Peugeot 504-505 diesels also have huge mileage on the same engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭MotteDai

galwaytt wrote: »
    ..there was a Carina advertised for sale in the Galway Advertiser about 18mths ago, described as 500k, 'would suit farmer'..........I wonder is that the same car ?

....btw, 968 no2 just trundled past 153k this week.

Would suit farmer? and to think I let my land go. There are loads of Farmers using them, i was out for a cycle around west Mayo the last night and 2 Carina II's 89's past me out.
    Its a sin to give such a car over to Farmers, then again when i had mine I went over a roundabout, broke the back window to gain entry, rounded up cattle and drove round the country in it. It was a sin to give it to me and all she gave me back was love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

unkel wrote: »
    It's a long time ago that odometers had only 5 digits!
    Ford Ka still had them till at least 2003!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Have to say that French cars in general plough on to seriously high mileages if you're happy to replace the odd bit that falls off here and there. We have a Saxo with 130k hard-driven miles and the grandfather has a 406 with over 200k on it. I also remember being in several French taxis with 500k+ kilometres on the clock. .

From work I've found this to be surprisingly true too. If the electrics don't make the car unviable very early on they'll do huge mileage. My C4 Van has 160,600km on it as of today and in its life its had a new windscreen, nearly every bulb replaced in it at least twice; and the glovebox handle is broken off it. Other than that, normal servicing and nowt more. Its been driven very, very hard and on terrible roads for most of its life - its only with the M6 opening that its seen any real motorway mileage!

We had Xantias and Xsara's before the C4s and most of them lasted the distance too. Emphasis on most...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

One of the lads I work with has a 98 Hyundai Accent with 125,000 miles on it. His wife has a 97 Xzara with (I think) 160,000.

My 00 Corolla is up around 95,000 now. I'll feel proud of herwhen she goes over the 100k mark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Heard rumours about that taxi as well.

High Milers are not to be feared! A friend of mine has a 00 Passat with over 160K miles on it, the only thing wrong is that there's something wrong with the pump/turbo that it won't cross 60 most of the time. (And sure why would he want it to?)

My 03 Focus has the bones of 80K on it, and hasn't missed a beat.

Another friends father had a 00 Vectra that hadn't seen a drop of oil since 60K, and it was over 200k when he sold it. Granted, thats not the way to treat a car, but still.

A friend of mine recently bought a low mile Suzuki something or other, simply because it was low miles, less could go wrong with it. Since he go it, he's replaced window, bulbs, and she due a timing belt/chain change soon too. Lower miler don't necessarily mean hassle free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

To be honest i wouldn't see problem for any car <1991 to do hih millage. Atleast then cars were biuld to last.

But i cant see all these new yokes doing same. And not the engine will be the fault.... but electonics lads...

gratz for toyota thought, but i cant see new corrola doing same :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think I've said it before, but I came across a 02 E220 Merc with 400kms on it, and it was absolutely immaculate.

Also a 98 Polo with 189,000 which I thought was some achievement.

Advertisement