Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balsa wood board - any advice?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a balsa wood board if anyone knows anything about them. Some people have said they're popular in South America and are suitable for bigger swells like we get on the west coast...is this true? Does anyone know of any for sale in Ireland or how much they might cost?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Conor in Waxon Surfboards, Rathcormac Sligo has a couple of beautiful balsa boards.

086-8212418.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭aka_Ciaran

Ok nice one, I'll be down there in a couple of weeks will check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Such boards tend to be pricey though so be prepared for a shock, beautiful boards and worth having a look at.

Conor is always worth having a chat though.

Ok, do you know what they're like in the water? I've seen pictures of some and they look really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 surfbored

Cecil Mor wrote: »
    Conor in Waxon Surfboards, Rathcormac Sligo has a couple of beautiful balsa boards.

086-8212418.

I own those boards that Conor is selling. I bought four of them in Ecuador. I'll be selling their big brother in the next week or two on Ebay. It's 9'6", the same size as the one I use myself.

Balsa makes a brilliant longboard, they're slightly heavier than a foam/glass board but the extra weight is great for getting out in choppy water. I'll put up all the details on Ebay and put up another post when it's for sale.

If anyone is interested in the ones in Conor's I can do a better price for cash. (Conor has to charge VAT)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 foxyfox88

Have you posted those balsa boards up on ebay yet??????????

How much??????????

Ny pics?????????????????

Here's two pics, I'll take better ones soon and get it on ebay. If you're around Sligo call to Conor in Waxon to see the smaller boards.

I'll be back in Leixlip next week if you want to see the 9'6" one there.

Boards look really nice, that's what I'm after. Are they still for sale...do you have them up on eBay?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I know a guy who makes em in UK.
    If you want me to get his number for ya, can do.. just let me know.

He is over and back from UK fairly frequently...

It'll be on Ebay very soon, I promise.:D

To answer some pm questions:

Size: 9’6” x 22 ½” x 3”

Bottom shape: 4mm concave nose through flat mid section to vee tail, perfect for nose-riding.

It weighs approx. 9 kg

• Advertisement

OK, the board is finally on Ebay!

Dunno if it's all right to put a link up, but mods, feel free to remove it!

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320414528718

It's easy to find anyway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

2k?! Wow I wasn't expecting that much, but it is a really beautiful board!

*runs off to plant some Balsa trees*

Ya, they're not cheap, but the reserve is a bit less than the 'buy it now' price.

It's a once-in-a-lifetime board.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭glide

what a rip off!!!

i know how much the blanks cost for these imported with duty as ive got a few in the past.

€2000!! i could get one of the best shapers in the world to make one for less than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Can't blame a guy for trying though.It is a nice board all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Surfboard4sale

I made one and my advice stay away from them haha the look sexy but will break very easily :D

I made one and my advice stay away from them haha the look sexy but will break very easily
    Balsa boards are one of the toughest, there are guys who have surfed them regularly for over thirty years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭hacktavist

I made one
    I think I found the problem.

I made one and my advice stay away from them haha the look sexy but will break very easily :D

I've been researching them lately and I've read that they're rock solid, and this is one of the reasons they cost a lot. If I can scrape the moolah together I will buy one, be it this one or another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 weegy bear

Conor at wax on has made some himself lately, dunno how much they cost but I'm pretty sure it's nothing close to 2K like the other ones

• Advertisement
Advertisement