Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Boiled Eggs

Options
  • 16-06-2009 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Hi hows it going?

Just have a quick question in regards to hard boiled eggs. If I boil 6 or 7 eggs tonight and kept them in the fridge how long would they last for? Would it be more than a day?

Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but my mam is away so I have to fend for myself in the kitchen and I havent got a clue!! :o

So any help would be great! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

personally i wouldnt eat them after tomorrow but then again i am kind of funny about things like eggs and chicken nd how long i keep them for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Danye wrote: »
    Hi hows it going?

Just have a quick question in regards to hard boiled eggs. If I boil 6 or 7 eggs tonight and kept them in the fridge how long would they last for? Would it be more than a day?

Sorry if it seems like a stupid question but my mam is away so I have to fend for myself in the kitchen and I havent got a clue!! :o

I often cooked eggs left them in the fridge an ate them 3 or 4 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

According to this ... http://www.eggsafety.org/f_a_q.htm#4 up to a week, which is what I'd have reckoned anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Alun wrote: »
    According to this ... http://www.eggsafety.org/f_a_q.htm#4 up to a week, which is what I'd have reckoned anyway.

Dont know if i agree with that site on some of its advice

QI just realized I left the egg carton on the kitchen counter overnight. Are the eggs safe to use?
    A The general rule is that if food items are at room temperature for more than 2 hours, the safest thing to do is to discard the product. If you leave eggs anywhere that is not refrigerated, the best thing to do is throw those eggs away and buy a new carton.

When was the last time anyone saw eggs in a fridge in a supermarket??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

We keep chickens and don't refrigerate the eggs, it is actually illegal to refrigerate eggs in France!
    Eggs are not like perishable foods, they can sit for ages(weeks) before they go bad.
    When they do go bad you will know pretty quickly!
    Hardboiled eggs are good for a week in the fridge especially if they are kept in the shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Eggs aren't kept in the fridge in the shops. I know people who are adamant about keeping them out of the fridge - I dunno why I put them in actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The BB date on eggs will presume shelf storage, so if in the fridge they will keep longer. Stuff goes off pretty much exponentially faster at higher temps.

Since the eggs are still in the shell they are sealed, it is sort of like those foods packaged/cooked in controlled environments. i.e. a boiled egg should last longer than say scrambled eggs, where they have been exposed to contaminants in the air.

If you pressure cook stuff the correct way in jam jars it will last indefinitely at room temp, this is called "canning" in the states and is quite popular there, I have sterilized my own foods with good success. It is quite risky though as many people do not do it correctly.

I have seen it advised to only cook eggs at room temp, and that if you do refridgerate you should leave them out to warm up before cooking. Dunno the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I have seen it advised to only cook eggs at room temp, and that if you do refridgerate you should leave them out to warm up before cooking. Dunno the reason.

Think it is so they dont crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Think it is so they dont crack.

Bingo.

eggs never make it to the fridge, both at work and home. I'd use the egg withing 3 days once its always in the fridge. if you make an egg salad or anything, and its, in out in out, use it tomorrow and fook it in the bin after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

rubadub wrote: »
    The BB date on eggs will presume shelf storage, so if in the fridge they will keep longer. Stuff goes off pretty much exponentially faster at higher temps.

yeah but the temperature difference is only the difference between 277K and 293K for a fridge at 4C vs 20C room temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Dont know if i agree with that site on some of its advice

QI just realized I left the egg carton on the kitchen counter overnight. Are the eggs safe to use?
    A The general rule is that if food items are at room temperature for more than 2 hours, the safest thing to do is to discard the product. If you leave eggs anywhere that is not refrigerated, the best thing to do is throw those eggs away and buy a new carton.

When was the last time anyone saw eggs in a fridge in a supermarket??

This is because in the States, Salmonella is in most eggs as opposed to here.

If you leave eggs out of the fridge in the States, the bacteria will multiply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

We eat them within 3 or 4 days and never did us any harm. Put into cold water to cool fully after boiling

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Xiney wrote: »
    This is because in the States, Salmonella is in most eggs as opposed to here.

If you leave eggs out of the fridge in the States, the bacteria will multiply.

Isn't just that Most of our eggs are pasturiesed (sp)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

CJhaughey wrote: »
    it is actually illegal to refrigerate eggs in France!

Is it perishable by law?

Edit = punishable

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Danye wrote: »
    Hi hows it going?

Great question actually and something I've never been sure of myself but never thought to ask. Thanks for asking. :)

Advertisement