Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Curry

Options
  • 16-06-2009 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey..
    I'm looking for a recipe for a chicken curry just like the one from a takeaway.
    Just a basic one w/ onions, peas and mushrooms.
    I've tried loads but i can't find any that taste just like a takeaway.
    Can anyone help please?
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You can buy tubs of instant curry sauce like the ones they use in takeaways in most Asian stores. It's in paste form. Just add as much stock or water as it asks for, poached chicken strips, stir-fry the onions and mushrooms, boil the peas, and add them to the sauce.

Wagamama's and Yamamori do a very nice chicken katsu curry, which is deep-fried breadcrumbed chicken fillets, cut into slices, with a curry sauce on top, served with rice. There's a recipe here. It's a bit more work than a takeaway one, and it may seem strange to add apples, bananas, and honey, but trust me, it is very nice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you're looking to make what I'd call an old-fashioned curry as opposed to the Thai curries etc that people make nowadays, I have my recipe posted HERE.
    It's similar to takeaway curry but nicer, and you can just substitute peas and mushrooms for the carrots/peppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Mines here. It's pretty much the same as a takeaway as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are you talking Chinese takeaway or Indian.

I have heard bensons curry sauce is like Chinese takeaways.

I was in China and the guy I was with ate nothing but spicy food but had never had a curry. And there is a Chinese curry, before the curry police come to hang people who order curry from a Chinese

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry#Chinese_cuisine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i'd say he means the lame curries from chinese take aways. Flour, curry powder, and some MSG should do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

rubadub wrote: »
    And there is a Chinese curry, before the curry police come to hang people who order curry from a Chinese
    In a country with over a billion people, I am pretty sure that there is more than one chinese curry:)

OT but curiously what exactly constitutes Curry?, you have curries from all over the world, and their regional variations.

I would hazard a guess and say a spicy sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,053 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i'd say he means the lame curries from chinese take aways. Flour, curry powder, and some MSG should do it for you.

If it's a Chinese, I'd say more like corn flour.

OP why not just get a take away?
    Probably work out cheaper (unless you're planning to cook in bulk), it's easier and will taste more 'authentic'.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunnes do a jar of "chinese curry sauce", which is similar enough, it was mainly flour or starch and onions. I think the bensons I mentioned is in a white & red tub.

Advertisement