Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insured for driving other cars?

• 16-06-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,

I have an insurance policy in my own name for my own car. I need to drive one of my father's cars for a few days and I need to know what the insurance arrangement would need to be for that. Do I need to have special coverage on my own policy for driving another car or does that car just need to have a policy or what?

And if I do need special coverage on my own policy, how do I find out if I have it?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this as it would save a lot of hassle.

Bob.

Comments

Almost all insurance policys have a driving other cars extension if you have a full license. Check your ins cert or to be sure give a ring to your insurance company. Remember the other car will only be covered 3rd party though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Hi there,

I have an insurance policy in my own name for my own car. I need to drive one of my father's cars for a few days and I need to know what the insurance arrangement would need to be for that. Do I need to have special coverage on my own policy for driving another car or does that car just need to have a policy or what?

And if I do need special coverage on my own policy, how do I find out if I have it?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me with this as it would save a lot of hassle.

Bob.

Check your insurance policy, you may already be covered to drive cars you don't own (third part cover only)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

I could be way off the mark here but i think both cars need to be insured, you need to be fully comp on your own motor, you'll be only covered third party on your fathers if you drive it, think you need to be full license holder also.

Alternatively you could contact your insurance company and transfere your insurance across to your fathers motor temporarily, you may need to pay a small fee for this though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I called my insurance company (AXA) to switch my insurance to another car for a week and was told I didn't need to, I'm covered third party on other cars because I'm fully comp.

Found out later that, as has been said, the other car has to be insured on the owners name. This one wasn't, so I switched my insurance to the new car for a week over the internet. No additional cost once its less than a month. They sent me an email to print off stating I switched insurance in case I'm stopped by the Gardai

I guess the best thing to do is either ring your company or check their website, but if you're fully comp on your own car, you should be alright

Advertisement