Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Reading problems?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi got (well my wife did) a call from my daughters (7) school today to say they think there is a problem with her reading and she may need extra tuition she's reading at the 9 to 11 age group.

Now this came as a total shock to us as when she is reading at home she is very good. Indeed she can out preform our 9 year old son who admittedly does need extra help.

In relation to our little one I can't see a problem with her she sounds out her words and most times and will read straight through any reading material that is being sent home with her for home work.

I am going to talk to the teacher myself to see exactly where the problem is but I'm actually quiet annoyed as i didn't see any problem and indeed would have thought she was ahead of the curve if I'm being honest.

Anyone else come across this kind of situation before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Moved from Personal Issues - OP, you will not be able to post here unregistered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Actually the op will.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sorry for posting in wrong forum and thank you for moving to relevant form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

I don't understand your post, are you saying your daughter is 7, and the school contacted you to say her reading age is 9-11, and they are suggesting extra support to stop her getting bored/stretch her?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

dont understand your post either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Getting support or extra tuition in school does not automatically mean it's remedial support.
    A child that is ahead of the curve may get bored and become distracted and disruptive and
    tune out which causes problems in the class room and for the child in the long run.

Also schools have a very certain critea for what they see as being competant at reading,
    so ask them what for thier check list is and if she is not reaching any of them then you know
    what to work on with her and I am sure being a bright girl with such intrested parents she will be up to speed in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for responding I will find out tomorrow eactly what was said. From what my wife has told me the teacher said she has a reading age of between 9 and 11 and not to be surprised if she needs extra help next year.

will update tomorrow when I have clearer information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

That is more the "giften child" support then than remedial support. They will want to make sure she does not get bored, that is all. I am impressed they contacted you, especially so late in the school year, it would have been easy to leave it until September. Good on them :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Our school offers learning support to the able and exceptionally able. Parents and children are delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Assuming they are talking about extra support because she is ahead of her age group then I think that's great that they have noticed and are doing something about it. I know in the school mine go to the children at either end of the ability spectrum certainly don't get the attention they need and certainly aren't being pushed to their potential.

As an aside we've recently discovered "Daisy", a series of books written from the point of view of a 7 year old girl. My daughter loves them and it's brought her from that phase of looking at/ reading books for the sake of learning to read/ homework to picking a book up at night and reading a few pages by herself because she enjoys it and the stories give her a good old lol :Dwww.daisyclub.co.uk literary masterpiece for 7 year old girls :).

• Advertisement
Advertisement