Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE hit a new low last night

• 16-06-2009 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Its bad enough that for the last 3 seasons of 24 that RTE have been showing it at midnight on a Monday night. But last night it was broadcast at 01:05am!! This was because RTE were showing 'I am Bob' a short film about Bob Geldof before it and before that highlights of the weekends Eircom League!! As bad as the Midnight time slot is how can it be pushed back even further in favour of these 2 programmes. Its a joke that they treat one of the best shows on TV like this.

If only TV3 had the rights to it. But thats it, our TV licence fee is wasted on RTE buying up shows that they dont even want to broadcast just to prevent TV3 from getting them, what a disgrace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

The people who are responsible for scheduling in RTE should be shot, they haven't a clue what they are doing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭!

I am Bob was on at Christmas. Talk about RTÉ. TV3 are worse after Midnight. Do you not see what they have on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I didn't see this. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Victor wrote: »
    I didn't see this. :pac:

HD ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crossed wires?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭hamlet1

i reallly resent paying tv license fee...........murder she wrote on EVERY afternoon.can rte get any worse?they should go back to the days of the testcard and not start programmes till the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

hamlet1 wrote: »
    i reallly resent paying tv license fee...........murder she wrote on EVERY afternoon.can rte get any worse?they should go back to the days of the testcard and not start programmes till the afternoon.

You guys can bash rte all you want. but nobody talks **** about Jessica Fletcher........she's an old woman......and she solves murders....COME ON!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

TheManWho wrote: »
    You guys can bash rte all you want. but nobody talks **** about Jessica Fletcher........she's an old woman......and she solves murders....COME ON!!!

Yes, but the last case she solved was in 1996.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Moved to Television.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Stop having a go at Jessica Fletcher, the poor old wrinkly angel of death, how would you like it if everywhere you went somebody you knew got a knife in the back or a dinner full of strychnine. I bought the box set it's tragic stuff.

• Advertisement

Lads lets no say something we'll later regret. Murder She Wrote is often the best thing on either RTE or RTE 2 some days.

And lets behonest, you know you'd tap it. I know I would.

Angela_Lansbury_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

deadhead13 wrote: »

No she did a special in 2003 in Ireland.

24 has got ****. Over to 24 forum to explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'd prefer they show factual programs and home produced content rather than waste TV license money on American tat! So bravo RTE for trying to be a bit innovative and not just become Dave!

enda1 wrote: »
    I'd prefer they show factual programs and home produced content rather than waste TV license money on American tat! So bravo RTE for trying to be a bit innovative and not just become Dave!

Yeah but either show the US tat on at resonable hours or don't bother buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

If Jessica Fletcher turned up at my dinner party, I'd get the f**k out of there as fast as I could, she's like the grim reaper.

RTE showing primetime shows in the middle of the night is nothing new. They've constantly denied the charges that they do it to stop TV3 from buying up good shows, but it's hard to see how they can defend themselves when it's blatantly obvious what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭bm365

Elmo wrote: »
    No she did a special in 2003 in Ireland.

24 has got ****. Over to 24 forum to explain.

Are you mad in the head? 24 has just had one of its best seasons, is one of the favourites to win an Emmy for best Drama along with Keifer Sutherland and Carlos Bernard tipped for Emmy's for best actor and best supporting actor.

At least Sky has the sense to give their top shows best time slot. 24 was broadcast at 9pm and had very high ratings. As said before, RTE just don't know what they're doing....

bm365 wrote: »
    Are you mad in the head? 24 has just had one of its best seasons, is one of the favourites to win an Emmy for best Drama along with Keifer Sutherland and Carlos Bernard tipped for Emmy's for best actor and best supporting actor.

At least Sky has the sense to give their top shows best time slot. 24 was broadcast at 9pm and had very high ratings. As said before, RTE just don't know what they're doing....

The current/last season of 24 has been one of the worst. The best are Day 1 and Day 5. It is an improvment on Day 6, but if you go here you will find out how I am getting a long with the series this year.

Also I agree with you RTÉ do not respect their many excellent US programmes.

Oh and just because a series gets good viewing figures doesn't mean it is good.

jor el wrote: »
    If Jessica Fletcher turned up at my dinner party, I'd get the f**k out of there as fast as I could, she's like the grim reaper.

RTE showing primetime shows in the middle of the night is nothing new. They've constantly denied the charges that they do it to stop TV3 from buying up good shows, but it's hard to see how they can defend themselves when it's blatantly obvious what they're doing.

You did the murder, it is obvious :)

Again not to defend RTÉ (you think I loved the ****ing service but some has to defend them :) ) RTÉ do not buy the same types of programming that TV3 buy, TV3 when owned by CanWest had access to Fireworks Distribution and had a deal for their movies and shows, thus reducing costs. RTÉs on competitor for TV shows up to 2006 was only TG4. RTÉ buy in 11,000 imports each year. They buy them in packages so if 24 comes with The Big Bang Theory they are stuck with the BIG BANG THEORY :D HAHA (In joke, sad)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

deadhead13 wrote: »

aha, but she won a Tony this year for Best Performance By A Featured Actress In A Play. Ah much higher achievement than helping that police chief that looks like Droopy.

No idea why the chief doesnt get his speed camera and head to the 30mph zone coming in to Cabot Cove and do everybody for 35mph on the way in, cos he's clearly is no good at the detective work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

enda1 wrote: »

but why was that bob thing on last night,why? why did it push the eircom league time?

why show a repeat before what i presume was irish first showing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

yeah like E4 giving Smallville one of their prime-time slots but no, the brainboxes at RTE show it at 2am on a Saturday night :rolleyes:

It was badly scheduled, the schedulers should have either forgot about MNS or the Bob Thing or 24 but they shouldn't have shown all three.

Most of the short films that RTÉ show on a Monday night are Irish films co-funded by RTÉ, I was surprised to see a film with nothing to do with Ireland on in that slot (I know bob is Irish).

Look at RTE's scheduling. They start the last series of ER weeks ahead of E4 yet E4 manage to finish the show over a month before RTE.

Look at RTE's scheduling. They start the last series of ER weeks ahead of E4 yet E4 manage to finish the show over a month before RTE.

More4. RTÉ did have election coverage during that period. At least they put ER on during prime time.

Elmo wrote: »
    More4. RTÉ did have election coverage during that period. At least they put ER on during prime time.

Fact remains that they are constantly screwing with the schedule. Used they not stop half way through a season of ER in order to air the Clinic for a few weeks.

Fact remains that they are constantly screwing with the schedule. Used they not stop half way through a season of ER in order to air the Clinic for a few weeks.

No they did not. They would air a season of ER from Dec take a break for Xmas and then it would return for Jan to Mar when they would interrupt it for Single Handed or a once-off Drama of some kind. The Clinic runs from mid-September to December (for 10 weeks) and is replaced by a new season of ER.

Have you ever seen how NBC stop and start ER?

I am trying to dig out a document I wrote for RTÉ about 2 years ago. The same issues are still there. It basically pointed out their bad scheduling of many top US programmes including 24 which during Day 3 moved from the usual Tuesday night to Saturday night, to Friday Night and finally settling for the current movable hour on Monday nights. An also some irregular programming of Irish shows late at night including their short films.

darko is right, they stopped er to put on other random stuff.

Easter, Christmas, Bank Holidays will always throw Monday and Sunday nights of on RTÉ. RTÉ use these weekends to show case Irish productions such as Single Handed, Damaged, No Tears, Whistleblower, Stardust etc etc once off dramas or two parters.

The Clinic runs for 10 weeks, when its season is finished it is replaced by ER. ER if it went out each week would run for 22 weeks, RTÉ just spread those 22 weeks over an extra couple of weeks. NBC in the states run the 22 episodes from September to May, about 32 weeks.

24 is the only show that FOX run from start to finish with out interruption, however this is changing.

the shows develop a following on certain night why disrupt that.

• Advertisement

It may not have been the clinic but taking a show such as RTE and interrupting its schedule every few weeks is not a good thing. In America shows take a break and viewers know when it will be back on which is preferable to RTE's will it won't it be on this week.

It may not have been the clinic but taking a show such as RTE and interrupting its schedule every few weeks is not a good thing. In America shows take a break and viewers know when it will be back on which is preferable to RTE's will it won't it be on this week.

RTÉ spend weeks telling their veiwers that Single Handed will be on during the Bank Holiday weekend, and everyone knew that they had election coverage during the count.

Just in the same way viewers in the US know when they are going to get a repeat of ER rather than a new episode.

I think your picking on their good scheduling of ER with out pick up on all of their many mistakes: -

Entorage
    Mad Men
    The Big Bang Theory (haha NOT)
    Carpoolers
    Medium
    Ghostwhisper
    CSI (even if they interrupt it for Soccer they do it far more often than ER)
    Smallville
    Monk
    Reaper

ETC ETC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

See also Reaper and Life, season 2 for both are being shown at midnight and 11:35pm this week. That's actualy good, other weeks both were closer to 1am.

Jip wrote: »
    See also Reaper and Life, season 2 for both are being shown at midnight and 11:35pm this week. That's actualy good, other weeks both were closer to 1am.

Yeah but if they plan to go out after 11:30 they should stick to the same schedule, I would have no problem with 11:30 for 24 but the OP is right 1:05 was stupid they should have just waited until next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Jip wrote: »

RTE are showing Reaper ?
    Great advertising on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

MOH wrote: »
    RTE are showing Reaper ?
    Great advertising on that one.

Exactly. I came across it accidentally while browsing the sky guide and noticed it was the start of season 2. Looking back at my original thread it was 11:25 for the first episode, the second was at 12:45 am, this week it's tonight/Friday morning at 12:00am. Ridiculous scheduling.

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    RTE are showing Reaper ?

List of shows shown by RTÉ after 11:30 The Beast has moved after 3 weeks.

RTÉ ONE
    Ghost Whisperer
    Harley Street
    Midnight Man
    Water Rats (repeat but excellent Aussie Cop Drama from 1990S)
    Law and Order
    Intelligence
    Mad Men
    Medium

RTÉ TWO
    Reaper
    Cane
    The Big Bang Theory
    Eli Stone
    The Beast
    The Dead Zone
    'Til Death