Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice re swimming ability and costs

• 16-06-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

hi all,
    i would love some advice about diving and getting started.
    1. how strong a swimmer (or what level should i work up to) to start diving?
    2. what are the start up costs (if i decide that i would to pursue it after an intro)
    thanks,
    Snoopy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

I wouldn't say its as much about swimming ability as it is confidence in the water. If your going to freak out in under open water then it won't be for you. Id advise to try something simple like snorkling maybe 30-50 metres out from the coast and if you can handle that you should be grand. But yes you should be able to swim compenently aswell

Start up costs might be 2-3k to get started. Go to a diving school anyway before you make any decicions and give it a go, probably get a decent session for around E100

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

hi, thanks for your reply. thats great to know. comfortable in the water but thats from the safety of the pool so it could be a case of famous last words when it comes to the outdoors!:)
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

There is a massive difference between the sea and a pool. It took me quite a while when i was younger to get over the fact that the bottom was 10-15 metres and that there are fish and everything below you. But thats confidence for you, it grows on you and you get used to it. Try it anyway a few times and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

+1 to the inquisitor...

There are swim tests for both Club and Non Club organisations.
    For PADI I think the swim test is a 5 minute thread, @ a 200 metre snorkel and a 100m swim with no time limit ( I stand to be corrected on these distances) it is not that difficult, even if you just doggy paddle it, it will suffice.

It is def all about confidence and comfort in the water. When I began diving my swimming ability would have been very low, down there with my confidence and comfort in the water. But Diving is something that should be taken up in a very progressive manner. I.e. even after the course (if e.g. you do a PADI OW) if your dept limits are 18m you should maybe do a heap of dives to 5-6m and slowly but surely build up your confidence and experience by going deeper if you wish.

I have to disagree with the costs of "getting started" in diving. If you wish to go down the club route, i.e. with a CFT club, you will have annual membership/insurance per year (not sure of the exact amount, perhaps @150) most clubs will have some level of equipment for you to borrow but they will expect you to purchase your own. This is where Inquisitor is correct, expect to pay between 1500-2000 euro.

However if you decide to go down the PADI or non-club route, you will pay for your OW (beginner) course (between @450-650 depending on centre). All equipment will be provided for the course. Once you are certified, you can book into any centre with your qualification, nearly all will have gear for you to rent. Expect to pay @ 40 euro per dive with gear rental once certified. Again this allows you to continue diving and build up your gear at your own pace, plus you get to try out a heap of gear and decide what brands are anyway decent and talk to divers about what they recommend.

There are benefits to both Club and non Club. Check em both out and have a chat with both to find out what the story is with them.... (however I think clubs generally only take members in @ September but again I stand to be corrected on this!! whereas non clubs are all year round)

Advertisement