Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low voltage halogen celing lights not switching off

Options
  • 16-06-2009 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I have a run of 8 low voltage (12v 50w) bulbs in dining room ceiling. They're set up with a 2 way switch (no dimmers, just regular household switch)

Just noticed today that when the light is switched off all 8 come on but very dim (< 5% of full brightness) when i switch the lights "on" 4 of the lights come on properly and the other 4 go off completely.

I've popped them out of the ceiling and have had a look at the transformers and no obvious sign of telltale scorching if something has blown.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

cfriel2002 wrote: »
    I have a run of 8 low voltage (12v 50w) bulbs in dining room ceiling. They're set up with a 2 way switch (no dimmers, just regular household switch)

Just noticed today that when the light is switched off all 8 come on but very dim (< 5% of full brightness) when i switch the lights "on" 4 of the lights come on properly and the other 4 go off completely.

I've popped them out of the ceiling and have had a look at the transformers and no obvious sign of telltale scorching if something has blown.

Any ideas ?

I would knock off the power at the main fuseboard and inspect the wiring to the switches. Remove any dust, cobwebs that are back there and check for loose connections, or a stray earth.
    Failing that, call a sparky!

Advertisement