Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Highlight mod posts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

How difficult would it be for everybody to take a quick glance under the Mod's name and see what forums they mod and then another quick glance at the forum you are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

smashey wrote: »
    How difficult would it be for everybody to take a quick glance under the Mod's name and see what forums they mod and then another quick glance at the forum you are in?

In fairness if you are reading a long multi page thread, people just tend to scan a lot of the posts. If you spot a post telling someone to stop doing something, then you have to look over to see what forum he mods and does he actually matter. Then some mods have loadsa forums listed so you have to read through those. It simply is not a user-friendly system.

Any piece of software, be it a desktop application or internet forum should aim for consistency and usability to make it a better experience for the user.
    Trade-offs have to be made obvoiusly for performance and other factors so that has to be taken into account.

There is zero consistency in how moderators post currently. I don't see the harm in coming up with some standard to make it clear across all forums.
    I'm not saying my suggestion is the best or anything. Even if every mod adopted the bold method it would help and cost nothing.

But I guess some people will never be open to even considering changing things in any way and rely on the old "but it's always been done this way"...and that is human nature I guess.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Ludo wrote: »
    There is zero consistency in how moderators post currently. I don't see the harm in coming up with some standard to make it clear across all forums.

I don't see the harm either but it's up to each mod as to their style of modding and is not something that the admins could enforce.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IMHO there should be a clear distinction between a mod post and an opinion on the topic being offered by a poster who also happens to be a mod. Mixing the two in the one post just isn't clear and can lead to confusion. It would seem to be better practice to keep mod instructions as clear and concise as possible.
    I would definitely class it as the worst possible way to give mod comments.
    Regardless of bolding or colour tagging, I do think that distinction would be better. Separate post at least. Personally I think a mod instruction in the same post as a (Mods) user opinion is confusing.

To be fair, I can see the other side of it too though. It does make the mod more like the part of the community that he or she is. So someone like Terry who is a hugely popular and well respected mod around here is clearly doing lots of things right and I figure he's got his style right too. For him and his community. I'd last ten seconds in AH before I hit the valium. :D

As ponster said each mod and each community differ and have their own styles which I reckon is a good thing.

Another reason I personally went the bold route was because it was PI. PI is probably the most heavily modded forum on boards. If someone misses a heads up and keeps going, it may have more personal repercussions for someone looking for advice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

smashey wrote: »

The answer is clearly "suprisingly". :)
    I'm not saying my suggestion is the best or anything. Even if every mod adopted the bold method it would help and cost nothing.

I personally agree but you have to appreciate- mods don't work for Boards. We're not paid to do this. I would assume the Admins are loathe to formalise the modding process too much in the fear they would lose good moderatzis.

It's quite difficult in any case I would guess to go "you must all do X this way now!!!" when you have no legal or financial control over the people being ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I there was still a thank you button I would give you thanks Wibbs and SDoom. Good logical explanations and reasoning.
    Feel free to lock this one off or let it fade away down the pages and die.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The Wibbing method is good but time has shown so far that different communites can have different flavours of mods and hence differently viewed moderating styles to the users is seen if not standardised. So it'd be nice to have Wibbing uniform across the board, but at the moment it isn't standardised. I sure will try to use Wibbational speech more in the future because of this thread though.

Stay on topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

While colour tagged moderator comments are a good idea, much of the inspirational nature of Wibidinal moderation - stemming as it does from the interplay of bold as font style and bold as the disobedience that requires the chastisement therein - would be lost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Onkle wrote: »
    Wibbed for your pleasure?
    Darn tootin...:pac:

Well originally my tagline was going to be, "If I'm typing in bold, you have been. If I'm typing in red, you're dead(tad antagonistic to be sure) If I'm typing in italics"..... well that's where it went south...

I do post the username I'm referring to in red as I found some even missed the mod post in bold. Again I will echo what gordon said and what I said earlier, each mod and forum have their own style. Some are more obvious and more hands on than others and have to be too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I'm so tempted to go and act the maggot in one of wibbs' forums so I get a bold post and I can say I've been wibbed

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

IMHO there should be a clear distinction between a mod post and an opinion on the topic being offered by a poster who also happens to be a mod. Mixing the two in the one post just isn't clear and can lead to confusion. It would seem to be better practice to keep mod instructions as clear and concise as possible.
    I would definitely class it as the worst possible way to give mod comments.

Usually when there is a post that has an element of mod and an element of on topic stuff to it, it is not a big issue, but more like a 'back on topic please' or 'everyone calm down ffs'.

As has been said, different mods have different styles, some even between different forums they mod. Horses for courses and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,458 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

5starpool wrote: »
    Usually when there is a post that has an element of mod and an element of on topic stuff to it, it is not a big issue, but more like a 'back on topic please' or 'everyone calm down ffs'.

As has been said, different mods have different styles, some even between different forums they mod. Horses for courses and all that.
    The thumbs up button is missing so I have to post it instead.

Advertisement