Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth it?

Options
  • 16-06-2009 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

ok so it's nearly the change of mind deadline for CAO and i still have some doubts. I was in college last year but dropped out around christmas as i didn't like my course but i'm still not 100% sure why...
    But anyway this year I was thinking of doing Religon and theology and Spanish in Trinity. If i don't get in (if the points go up) i have a few other arts type courses (also involving spanish). The thing is I'm beginig to wonder if it's a bit of a waste of time and money studying something that will be of little practical use in the (hate this term) "current economic climate". But I am really not interested in the slightest in buisness or science or anything that seems like it would be useful. So now I'm thinking should I just not bother with college at all? I'm au pairing in Spain now and I guess I could keep doing that untill I'm of an acceptable age to begin teaching english...So basically is college worth it? I mean I really want to do it, like I did last year, but should I?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭giveliberty

Of course its worth it. Just because you have a degree in whatever, does not mean you will be limited to just that area.

Banks, insurance companies, law firms, media outlets all have people employed with undergrad courses that can be so bizzare and on the surface not relevant to their current career.

You would be amazed the amount of jobs that just require a third level qualification in anything, they don't care as long as you have one.

The great thing about having an undergrad is the opportunities it will open in terms of postgrads, which can be far more diversified. You could study law, computer science, psychology etc through postgrad, with the most irrelevant of undergrads.

Also with that degree you are talking about you could teach Spanish in second level, take up positions in customer services, work in translations, and even in the Dept. of Foreign Affairs.

Think seriously about it, don't waste an opportunity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Dont make your decision based on what you think you have the best job opportunies in. Base it on what you are interested in and like to study. If you are interested in it you will find a job in it. Too many people are happy to get a degree in something because they believe they will get a better job from it.

Advertisement