Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Forum

Options
  • 16-06-2009 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭

The only shred of a chance of saving the poker forum is been washed down the drain by Kinetic', frankly retarded modding of it. I suspect its gonna be like a ghost town before anything is done. Kinetic is singlehandedly driving everyone to this new forum, sad way to go for the old 416

He has also gone and deleted nicnicnic wsop % sale thread, theres nearly 10 grand bought and sold in there.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Laxie

I don't normally get stuck into forum controversies, but have to say Kinetic has managed to push even the quiet ones away with lightening speed...myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

total farce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I never get involved in these things but deleting the % thread shows a complete lack of understanding in the poker forum, its users and a surprising lack of common sense.
    Even if he was aggreived enough to lock it, deleting it was, for want of a better word, stupid.

To bring people who think its the poker forum users getting uppity up to speed, one of our members is a well respected poker pro who sold %'s of his action at this years World Series of Poker to other forum members. Given the amount of money to enter these tourneys ($10,000 for the main event alone), the potential mess this causes and the potential publicity lost of boards.ie in this makes this desicion staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

afaik the issues of the Poker Forum are been discussed & dealt with, and referring to anyone as 'retarded' isn't going to help either side, imo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60709057&postcount=453

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

afaik the issues of the Poker Forum are been discussed & dealt with, and referring to anyone as 'retarded' isn't going to help either side, imo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60709057&postcount=453

I didnt refer to anyone as retarded.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It has been undeleted by an admin.

TBH, whilst 'retarded' was definitely not the best term under the circumstances, reality is any appropriate term would have probably resulted in a permanent ban. I'm a mod on other forums which is why I usually stay out of the way of trouble, but in all fairness it has gone beyond a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

5starpool wrote: »
    It has been undeleted by an admin.

good

the original deletion by Kinetic still reveals a staggering lack of judgement and also total ignorance of how the poker community operates.

(I am aware that it may seem bizarre to other Boards users that thousands of euro of financial commitments be made in a thread on a public forum but that's the way it works...)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Lads please, 'retarded' comments were not on.

Discussion is being had, the only moderator there is moderating the forum, the other mods are on strike, a public announcement is due soon. Boards.ie is not a government body.. Play nice ffs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Gordon wrote: »
    a public announcement is due soon.

Available for all to see in the Poker forum.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can someone explain to me - someone who knows how to play poker around a table with five mates and nothing more advanced - what a % WSOP thread is, why it's so important, and why it's appropriate for someone to apparently organise a major financial deal over a public discussion medium in which they have no control?

That's not me having a go, that's a genuine question - if you're making a complaint about something which you regard to be a big deal, you're going to need to explain why it's such a big deal.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I didnt refer to anyone as retarded.

Well, if thats the case I apologise. I never posted in BBV but read it a whole lot. I intend to start posting in the Poker forum soon after I've learned the basics =p

The reason I got interested in poker is from reading through that forum and when any disrespect towards other members or staff is spotted, its a definite turn-off for any n00bs posting there.

seamus wrote: »
    Can someone explain to me - someone who knows how to play poker around a table with five mates and nothing more advanced - what a % WSOP thread is, why it's so important, and why it's appropriate for someone to apparently organise a major financial deal over a public discussion medium in which they have no control?

That's not me having a go, that's a genuine question - if you're making a complaint about something which you regard to be a big deal, you're going to need to explain why it's such a big deal.

Cheers.

WSOP = World Series of Poker, annual event in Las Vegas with approx 40 tournaments held in that time. Buy-ins range from $1k to $50k. Win one of the big events, you're a millionaire several times over.

It's common practice for poker pros to sell a percentage of their action in order to spread their risk e.g. if nicnicnic is laying out fifty grand of his own money to enter WSOP events, he may decide to sell 40% of his action in order to insure himself against the possibility of cashing for less money than he laid out in entry fees. Call it diversifying your risk.

nicnicnic is known as an excellent poker player and would be reckoned to be a good bet to cash in an event or two, maybe even cash big and win potentially millions. Therefore it makes sense for other poker forum posters to buy a percentage of nicnicnic in the anticipation of making a profit on their investment. Even if he doesn't make money, they still get the vicarious thrill of watching his progress in the WSOP!

The thread referenced above was the one where nicnicnic offered and sold 40% of his action in the WSOP. Serious money (in most people's terms - maybe not to poker players lol), hence the anger at the stupid decision to delete the thread.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Gordon wrote: »
    Lads please, 'retarded' comments were spot on.

agree

I don't think someone who lives for Star Wars and LAN parties should be around a forum where games are played for actual money.

So if nicnic's buy-in is $50k and he sells 40% of his action to me, that means that I give him $20k towards his buy-in, and in return I get 40% of what he wins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 /b/

So if nicnic's buy-in is $50k and he sells 40% of his action to me, that means that I give him $20k dollars, but in return I get 40% of what he wins?

Stop trying to be clever Moose.

Try just letting them flopping about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

So if nicnic's buy-in is $50k and he sells 40% of his action to me, that means that I give him $20k towards his buy-in, and in return I get 40% of what he wins?

Yeah that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Exactly although in reality it will be broken up until smaller units of 1%, 2%, 5% amongst a number of people.

/b/ wrote: »
    Stop trying to be clever Moose.

Try just letting them flopping about.
    Want to post that in English Dave? Or even Engrish might work :)

Edit: Cheers guys. Seems odd that these kinds of transactions are carried out on boards, but if that's what ye've been doing up to now...

It's worth noting that threads will rarely be completely deleted. As you've spotted, any such actions can be undone (usually quickly!).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Finally glad some of you took the advice to stop posting issues relating to the moderating of the site on the poker forum and post them were they belong.

While there were currently issues in relation to the BBV thread, that does not give posters the right to continually ignore moderator/administrator instruction or be abusive to each other or a member of the moderation/administration team. Any infractions or bans that were handed out were in relation to the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 /b/

Wise up tbh :)

precisely

his action is sold though. You can have 50% of me though, I am playing in a very prestigious event called the 'Friday Night Scalps game' later this week. I am reckoned to be an excellent poker player, however I am extremely unlucky and we all know that poker is all about luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Finally glad some of you took the advice to stop posting issues relating to the moderating of the site on the poker forum and post them were they belong.

While there were currently issues in relation to the BBV thread, that does not give posters the right to continually ignore moderator/administrator instruction or be abusive to each other or a member of the moderation/administration team. Any infractions or bans that were handed out were in relation to the above.

while I will hold back from giving my personal opinion of you as a person on this forum, I believe strongly that this post, and many of your other posts, are stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

jesus.

anyway, are u still going to be modding the poker forum or are you going to leave it to the original mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Stick to the LAN parties of "new hope", Kinetic, you hadn't a clue what you were doing in the poker forum and have caused a lot of damage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Rb wrote: »
    Stick to the LAN parties of "new hope", Kinetic, you hadn't a clue what you were doing in the poker forum and have caused a lot of damage there.

I know I was quite vocal about this whole issue but after rethinking I dont know if he had much of a choice?

I mean, he was sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. He needed to keep some sort of order and that was always going to prove hard given the atmosphere in the forum. Anything he did was going to be scrutinised, he could have gone about it a better way I agree but he was certainly in a catch 22 situation.

I think he could have read the old bbv, made an intro message and asked for our help during the obviously difficult time but we all make mistakes.

Anyway, Kinetic Im sorry for my reactionary approach towards your moderation, I now realise how difficult it must have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭nicnicnic

Kinetic^ wrote:
    Hi nicnicnic,

You have been banned from Poker for the following duration:

1 Month(s)

for the following reason:

Abuse. Enjoy your month off.

ty, I shall be enjoying the coming month immensely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Of course he had a choice and his actions were way, way OTT and it all falls back to having no idea what he was doing.

It highlights a huge issue surrounding the growth of boards, as I pointed out in the other thread here, that the heirarchy simply cannot keep up with the growth of the sub-communities and in trying to do what's "best", may indeed cause a huge amount of damage to both the community and actual data. Examples being Kinetics OTT Nazi behaviour and it driving people off the site, Gordon locking and shifting BBV, the deletion of Nicnicnic's % thread etc.

All of those actions were taken in ignorance to both their relevance in the community/forum and ignorance to the consequences both structurally and to the community "spirit" or "feeling" or whatever the hell you want to call it.

Regardless, his attitude was unbelievable.

• Advertisement

I've no doubt you were thrown into the deep end and missing yer waders. For that I feel bad for you. However, it's been made very clear your version of 'swimming' isn't what us fish in the poker community are used to or appreciate. I don't believe all ignorance should be placed on the posters in the poker forum as they've been there with ages and have a history there. Many posted with heart and conviction, yet were punished because it didn't follow the accepted norm of the situation. Without a doubt, you were thrown in, but in all fairness...there was no need to sink the entire ship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement