Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker Forum

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Kinetic, noone owes you anything. I stand by everything I've said about you.
    People can say what they like but you did a shit job in that forum, did a whole lot of damage and should never have been in the position to do so in the first place.

If the moderator circle jerk wants to defend you, that's their perogative.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Rb wrote: »
    People can say what they like but you did a shit job in that forum, did a whole lot of damage and should never have been in the position to do so in the first place.

If the moderator circle jerk wants to defend you, that's their perogative.

Its very ignorant, in my opinion, not to respect a man being fecked into the deep end of a forum which is completely different to how the website operates, having to deal with users who tend not to listen to site rules and do their own thing their on way while the Poker Mods refuse to work.

As for "moderator circle jerk" - I for one have gone against the grain and knocked moderators and admins alike in the past if I didn't agree with a call they made. I think the mod here may have over reacted, but, I can see why and think everyone should just cop the feck on, move on and grow up. The bitching and whinging going on even today after its all been resolved isn't great. Most people, including non moderators, see that. Some poker folk dont - but thats how they "grew up" in that forum, the poker mods did things different to the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rb wrote: »
    People can say what they like but you did a shit job in that forum, did a whole lot of damage
    Read musician's post above. Instead of instantly freaking out about it, did anyone actually PM Kinetic to explain why the thread was important. You know, instead of going, "OMFG YOU FICKING RETARD YOU'RE A **** MOD, WTF DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!", did anyone send him a nice civil PM, explaining what was going on, along the lines of the concise yet comprehensive explanation that El Stuntman gave me? No? Well then you have no business criticising him for doing what he thought was right. The forum needed to be moderated. Kinetic was there and is a good moderator on other forums, therefore transplanting his general moderation ethos onto Poker isn't an issue. That he doesn't "get" the Poker forum isn't his fault and it isn't our fault. It's incidental.
    Any mistakes he made could have been quietly and easily pointed out to him without freaking out and frankly completely over-reacting about an action which is easily undone.
    should never have been in the position to do so in the first place.
    Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Sorry but I wasn't carrying out "shit" as you put it. I was trying to keep things in line by asking people to stop talking about the BBV incident and also asked people to keep the outgoing moderator thread to just posts of gratitude. I did not run into the forum and start banning left right and centre like you're trying to make out.
    Yes you did. Whatever your intentions were, that is what you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭fatguy

Read musician's post above. Instead of instantly freaking out about it, did anyone actually PM Kinetic to explain why the thread was important. You know, instead of going, "OMFG YOU FICKING RETARD YOU'RE A **** MOD, WTF DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!", did anyone send him a nice civil PM, explaining what was going on, along the lines of the concise yet comprehensive explanation that El Stuntman gave me? No? Well then you have no business criticising him for doing what he thought was right.
    Sorry Seamus, but you know all too well that emotions were running really high at that point, and we were all well beyond civil, private discussions. Everything was out in the open, up front and aggressive, including Kinetic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can we give it a rest now ffs? The poker forum has had its moment in the spotlight, lets just move on and hope the lads get off work and aint pissed with others for crossing the picket line :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wait, we've a poker forum?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

humanji wrote: »
    Wait, we've a poker forum?

Who knew?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Sully wrote: »
    Its very ignorant, in my opinion, not to respect a man being fecked into the deep end of a forum which is completely different to how the website operates, having to deal with users who tend not to listen to site rules and do their own thing their on way while the Poker Mods refuse to work.
    What a load of toss. He was freely banning people deleting posts and threads at will and threatening people. Users who tend not to listen to site rules? You really are a prat arent you, a fistful of posters made a mistake and admitted doing it and apoligised,and you generalize the entire forum,the majority of poker forum posters are the most down to earth and civil people you could meet

As of yet there hasnt been a sorry from any of the admins/mods who took sly jabs and insulted the moderators and the forum
    As for "moderator circle jerk" - I for one have gone against the grain and knocked moderators and admins alike in the past if I didn't agree with a call they made. I think the mod here may have over reacted, but, I can see why and think everyone should just cop the feck on, move on and grow up. The bitching and whinging going on even today after its all been resolved isn't great. Most people, including non moderators, see that. Some poker folk dont - but thats how they "grew up" in that forum, the poker mods did things different to the rest of us.

Im not even a reg poker forum poster but christ almighty dont act like the decisions made by site admins and the gang mentality can be just swept under the carpet and forgotten about. Everyone should cop the feck on? Doesnt that include the admins and mods took who attempted to gang up and spit on the poker forum and the forums moderators during the previous feedback thread

Seen it all before, but this time the chirpy little thanking posts and brown nosing got outfought and the "right" outcome came. However that doesnt mean the situation is "resolved"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

nuxxx wrote: »
    What a load of toss. He was freely banning people deleting posts and threads at will and threatening people. Users who tend not to listen to site rules?

He was thrown in at the deep end, he did his best.
    You really are a prat arent you

Personal abuse.

• Advertisement

What a load of toss. He was freely banning people deleting posts and threads at will and threatening people. Users who tend not to listen to site rules? You really are a prat arent you, a fistful of posters made a mistake and admitted doing it and apoligised,and you generalize the entire forum,the majority of poker forum posters are the most down to earth and civil people you could meet

As of yet there hasnt been a sorry from any of the admins/mods who took sly jabs and insulted the moderators and the forum

Im not even a reg poker forum poster but christ almighty dont act like the decisions made by site admins and the gang mentality can be just swept under the carpet and forgotten about. Everyone should cop the feck on? Doesnt that include the admins and mods took who attempted to gang up and spit on the poker forum and the forums moderators during the previous feedback thread

Seen it all before, but this time the chirpy little thanking posts and brown nosing got outfought and the "right" outcome came. However that doesnt mean the situation is "resolved"
    If you pay attention to the big thread in feedback, you'll note that it was a bunch of children bickering while the adults (the admins and poker mods) ignored them and discussed grown up things.

A lot of people talked sense in these threads, but they're drowned out by some poker posters and some non-poker posters hurling abuse at each other, trolling and generally giving the human race a bad name. They just need to grow the f*ck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

If I can just make one small point please.

A number of times on this thread the poker mods being 'on strike' has been referred to. We were not on strike, we had all resigned as mods of the forum. I think I speak for all of us when I say that resigning was not a decision taken lightly, likewise returning to mod again.

IMO 'striking' sounds petty and small here, even if thats not the intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

If you pay attention to the big thread in feedback, you'll note that it was a bunch of children bickering while the adults (the admins and poker mods) ignored them and discussed grown up things.

A lot of people talked sense in these threads, but they're drowned out by some poker posters and some non-poker posters hurling abuse at each other, trolling and generally giving the human race a bad name. They just need to grow the f*ck up.

Are you a fan or in the band Humanji?

Firstly let me apologise for finding this drama intriging over the past few days, I've run out of TV snacks.
    Now the pofer forum had a mass walkout and there was nobody modding it, the admins and DEv were in a conclave
    The replacement Mod (in fairness) was a bit of a Christian Brother about things but he was thrown in at the deep end. I think the reason people got really pi$$ed off was in the feedback thread there were snide remarks about the poker forum from other mods. (as there are in this one, time in the sun etc) Then a new mod brandishing the whip. It wasn't
    the cleverest job of modding but the Mod in question didn't deserve such abuse. (just my personal opinion)

The thing people are forgetting and what really makes this thing totally laughable is that this is just the fkin internet. Mods can preach to who they like but it's still just the internet. Boards.ie is a great idea as it brings birds of a feather closer together but what a lot of sites like this shows is why the world is in such chaos. Where they are differences people will concentrate on these difference and use them as a stick to beat the other person with. If boards.ie wants to really make a contribution to community it will need to start by issuing to their mods/admins a MO that includes RESPECT to ALL posters, including the so called 'tards' If you are banning people , BAN THEM, don't salivate as you do it. Words like, "you are walking on fkin thin ice my man", or Arses will be kicked, are inflammatory and do lead to a lot of the problems with mods and posters. It is hilarious that some kid sitting at a keyboard can tell me
    Or anyone else that there will be dire consequences to his/her actions. Is this how modding works? No wonder people
    react enraged to this . Anyway I digress too much here. My point is this is the internet, nobody has died. Let's starts showing your users some RESPECT and if they don't show you it back, throw them from your site. (without the fanfare)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Lurker1977

YULETIRED wrote: »
    The thing people are forgetting and what really makes this thing totally laughable is that this is just the fkin internet.

+1

YULETIRED wrote: »
    Are you a fan or in the band Humanji?

I had my name first! Those gits stole it from me!!!! :mad::P

+1 to everything else. It's just the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

+1 to everything else. It's just the internet.
    ...which makes me think that things probably would have been sorted out in an hour had all parties to the argument met over a pint.

Just like getting behind the wheel of a car, it's amazing how some people change when they get behind a keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Gordon wrote: »
    the only moderator there is moderating the forum, the other mods are on strike
    Your old team of mods are/were on strike and Kinetic^ is trying to handle a busy forum which he is not used to all by himself
    KevIRL wrote: »

A number of times on this thread the poker mods being 'on strike' has been referred to. We were not on strike, we had all resigned as mods of the forum. I think I speak for all of us when I say that resigning was not a decision taken lightly, likewise returning to mod again.

Yeah i've just read the thread and was going to ask the same thing. So seemingly the admins didn't take your resignations seriously and pressumed you were on strike? No wonder it wasn't solved quicker them if admins thought you lot were just getting your knickers in a twist. if I've only just read Macspower's post where he notes a couple of things that were said about the poker mods being useless etc. I thought that was disgusting tbh. Its good to see the mods back in the poker forum, but if you dont modding it with the same gusto you did before, its 100% understandable.

Not sure i get all of this...the poker forum is completely different to how the website runs, and we dont listen to rules and do our own thing? Whats that meant to mean? Yet again, more generalisation towards the poker forum.

Kinetic^ didnt do anything to earn respect as a mod. Sure he might be a nice bloke, and he might have been thrown in at the deep end, and it was a tough spot to be in, but coming in as billy bigballs isn't the way to gain respect from people and to help them like you and give you a chance. There's a lot of outspoker people on the poker forum, as there is elsewhere. Not people's fault if they feel strongly about a situation where the majority of posters are being punished for the actions of a few.

I think Poker belongs more in the REC or the SOC section of boards anyway. It doesn't belong in Games IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Ponster wrote: »
    Without trying to dig up what I hope is now 'water under the bridge', nor appear like a troll....do the poker regulars think that a better solution would maybe have been to lock the entire poker forum until the original problem had been resolved?

Seriously????? NO!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Flushdraw wrote: »
    So seemingly the admins didn't take your resignations seriously and pressumed you were on strike? No wonder it wasn't solved quicker them if admins thought you lot were just getting your knickers in a twist.

This was a significant obstacle on the path to a resolution, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

While i disagree with the manner in which kinetic acted in the poker forum, i just want to point out he did not take the easy option. The easy option would have been to do nothing and let someone else deal with the issue. I'm sure he has other boards/RL commitments yet he stepped up and took over the poker modding while things were being hashed out. I'd imagine he was told to keep things civil and avoid talk of the issue until it had been resolved and while i don't think he went about it in the best manner at least he tried, so fair play to kinetic for that.

I would also like to say fair play to gordon for his post in the poker forum saying he should have just locked bbv rather than moving it. Its never easy admitting you're wrong. Kudos.

Finally, referring to the poker mods as striking is not helpful, it makes it sound as though it was a ploy of some sort. I really don't think it was. The major difference between poker and say, AH or nocturnal is that nearly all of the regulars know each other in person. IMO this is what other mods on the site need to understand. Modding an argument between to randomers does not require the same touch as an argument between two guys who have known each other for years and are fully aware that most of the onlookers know both of them. The poker mods do a great job in situations like this and probably offer a little more leeway than say an AH mod would, but still know when to calm the situation or lock/delete/ban as appropriate. As far as poker being insular, yes it is but not to the detrement of the rest of the site. If i want to know what res monitor to get to display 8 pokerstars windows, i'll post in poker. But if i want to know more i'll go ask the experts in laptops. If i want to mention the sexy car i saw yesterday i might mention it in bbv, but if i want a serious chat about the new ferrari i'll go to motors.

I don't know if boards is still the best place for the poker community but i've posted about that elsewhere. Time will tell

• Advertisement

Bah. I didn't actually mean to generalise, bad phrasing on my part and my apologises that it came out like that. BUT, it does apply to some. Sure, hands up people admitted mistakes - thats fine. The problem was, the mod was ****ed into the deep end having no clue and just did his best which was rash for some as there unused it. (Yes, I am a prat. But thats cool, I think thats a nice title tbh ;))

Cant force people to apologise.. but I wasn't aware it was a common thing. I understood some people made comments but didn't think it was widespread.

Mistakes were made, they held their hand up to it. The majority of mods and admins are the most down to earth and civil people you could meet but you know yourself - tension, annoyance, anger etc. spills out a load of crap. The fact is, I think the mistakes were rectified and its time for everyone to shake hands, smile, become civil and put it all down as water under the bridge. We cant keep going on about it, as im not sure what else can come out of this.

What would you like done? Besides insulting people, tearing into mods and admins - give us what you think should be done. I'm curious, if I thought there was more of an outcome from this id be damn sure to ask for it.

KevIRL wrote: »

Well, I assume your staying on and will eventually return? Might not mean to be a strike, but certainly comes across like that. Ill take your word for it though Kev, as I know your of a sound nature so will acknowledge fault if I was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭cardshark202

A young boy shares an 18 speed mountain bike with his 2 brothers. This boy likes to cycle the bike around his estate. One day he decides to cycle a bit further than he's been told he can go by his mother. As a result the mother takes the bike off him and his brothers in a fit of rage. The 2 brothers throw one hell of a hissy fit. The mother, after a lot of pressuring, decides get them a new smaller and shítter bike. The brothers aren't happy. Meanwhile the other one is still grounded. After a load more moaning and whinging, eventually the brothers get their old bike back. So everyone should be happy.
    BUT, THEY ARE STILL MOANING NOW WHEN IT DOESN'T FÚCKING MATTER

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

To be totally and completely honest, there is no way we, the admins, are ever going to immediately demoderate anyone who resigns from a forum when emotions are running that high.

And if we had demoderated the poker mods, how many of them would still be poker mods now? It's unclear as yet how many of them will continue as poker mods, but if we had demodded them at their request, do you really think this would have come to a conclusion sooner? Or would you all be over on pokertalk.ie and we would have deleted the poker forum from boards.ie by now? Or there'd be a few baffled poker forum users wandering the wasteland that was their forum while we polled the moderators to see who they thought would be good replacements?

Seriously, lads, this semantics about striking isn't helping. The poker mods, while still having moderation capacity, hadn't been demodded. It honestly didn't occur to us that they had completely downed tools and were refusing to moderate the forum they still had moderation powers over, until they reiterated it to us - because too much else was going on.

So when you can work but you won't work, what are you? The word 'strike' is just the most suitable term for 'weren't working while still having moderator capacity'.

There is no way on this planet anyone on this thread will convince me for two seconds flat that anyone on this site would have reacted well to:

Poker Mods: We resign!
    Admins: Right so, don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. [/demod]

In fact, that action would have dragged even MORE people into this furore, angry that the admins had demodded anyone in the heat of the moment. That, and the concept of then trying to restore moderation power to anyone who gives it up in a situation like that - it's just better to accept that the resignation is the final expression of fury and frustration, but wait until things have settled some before revoking the moderator's access rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I always felt poker was a mans game.

where did all these whining nancy's come from?

back in my day..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

To be totally and completely honest, there is no way we, the admins, are ever going to immediately demoderate anyone who resigns from a forum when emotions are running that high.

And if we had demoderated the poker mods, how many of them would still be poker mods now? It's unclear as yet how many of them will continue as poker mods, but if we had demodded them at their request, do you really think this would have come to a conclusion sooner? Or would you all be over on pokertalk.ie and we would have deleted the poker forum from boards.ie by now? Or there'd be a few baffled poker forum users wandering the wasteland that was their forum while we polled the moderators to see who they thought would be good replacements?

Seriously, lads, this semantics about striking isn't helping. The poker mods, while still having moderation capacity, hadn't been demodded. It honestly didn't occur to us that they had completely downed tools and were refusing to moderate the forum they still had moderation powers over, until they reiterated it to us - because too much else was going on.

So when you can work but you won't work, what are you? The word 'strike' is just the most suitable term for 'weren't working while still having moderator capacity'.

There is no way on this planet anyone on this thread will convince me for two seconds flat that anyone on this site would have reacted well to:

Poker Mods: We resign!
    Admins: Right so, don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out. [/demod]

In fact, that action would have dragged even MORE people into this furore, angry that the admins had demodded anyone in the heat of the moment. That, and the concept of then trying to restore moderation power to anyone who gives it up in a situation like that - it's just better to accept that the resignation is the final expression of fury and frustration, but wait until things have settled some before revoking the moderator's access rights.

You demod us. But you leave us access to the appropriate private forums so communications can continue. My statement in the first feedback thread could not have been any plainer or easy to understand, and it was bolded for your benefit (to draw the eye in a fast moving thread). That ye were then surprised that we weren't doing any modding 10 hours later is infuriating in the extreme.

I am still not modding right now. And may never mod the forum again, and the same goes for some of my colleagues as of right now this minute.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No. Just fncking no.

This is just bringing us nowhere. In public.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

But honestly, what's the point of communicating with you if you're the departing regime? Shouldn't we just replace you and figure out a way of working with the new moderators who will continue on with the forum? Why would we recruit a new bunch of people to work under someone else's rules, regulations and guidelines?

Most new mods to a forum tweak at least something when they start - it makes little sense to set things in stone moving forward with you, if you're not going to be implementing it, using it every day or even needing to pay it any attention at all.

As it stands, the admins have admitted we made a rash decision that was unfortunately irreversible vis a vis deleting your BBV thread. However, that thread has been undeleted and restored and we have apologised for our hasty action on that front.

Apologies to the inconvenience, upset and huge waste of time caused to you and the other mods for it, and to the poker forum users who were affected by it. We are changing the way we do things as we speak to ensure this sort of thing never happens again - that we try to never again make rash decisions, especially irreversible ones, and that we implement a better procedure to consult all the relevant parties in any decision while at the same time not choking down discussion about it.

But if you're leaving anyway, to be honest, why are we still talking about the rest of what is to happen in the future, when you're not here and not a mod?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement