Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Avensis or Mondeo??

• 16-06-2009 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Is 8 or 9 thousand too much too pay for a 04 Avensis with 86,000 miles? Or i was thinking of getting a mondeo - i like the ghia's - anyone any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

My predictions Laura, on what others are about to say (without even looking at carzone):

1. That's too expensive for a 04 Avensis with 86,000 miles.
    2. The Mondeo is a waaay better car.

And they'd be right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Laura 26

ok - thanks!!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You'll find boardsies are very Anti-Avensis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote: »

Thats cos not many Farmers or pensioners use boards. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Laura 26

i will keep me eye on a mondeo so!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Stekelly wrote: »
    Thats cos not many Farmers or pensioners use boards. :P

Definately, outnumbered here by folks who drive these instead:

3588900207_f5846c1c64.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote: »

You'll find some boardsies are very pro-Avensis. Especially boardsies who sell Toyotas for a living ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

8k sounds alot for it. Is it petrol or diesel?

6k sounds a bit more like it. I'd expect to get a similar year Mondeo for alot less than I would the Avensis though, if you really had to go for an Mondeo.

What about a Passat? Or a Saab 93 diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote: »

The gardai look like they were nicking hubcaps again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

As someone who works with both cars in this capacity, i'd go for the mondeo everytime for the amount of abuse they can put up with and how much better they feel on the road. Mondeo ALL the way and in the higher spec like Ghia or Titanium they have plenty of toys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

:eek: Can't believe so many choosing the Ford over the Toyota, for Shaaamme!

The 04 model avensis is a fine machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ModifiedMonkey

A Family member of mine just got a Avensis 05, They don't have a timing belt (must have a chain)which is nice especially when getting one second hand, this means that you don't have to spend more to get one replaced, because lets face it, you cant really trust somebody selling a car no disrespect.

all Mondeo petrol 1.8 models have a Duratec engine which is also driven by a chain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭coolkidd

I have a 03 mondeo, 2 litre tdci, they are a fine car with plenty of welly! i have a zetec with all the extras,, and she is a fine machine.

Very reliable cars

coolkidd wrote: »
    I have a 03 mondeo, 2 litre tdci, they are a fine car with plenty of welly! i have a zetec with all the extras,, and she is a fine machine.

Very reliable cars

I've driven a 2.0 TDCI Mondeo before, and I thought it was dog slow. Lots of turbo lag and it goes no where. Could of been that particular one though.

my uncle called the other day, after getting a '05 Mondeo Lx Tdci 130 6 speed.
    Some motor to go, and a nice few toys for a base (UK) model such as cruise control and trip computer.
    70k on the clock, got it in for €7200.

I've driven a 2.0 TDCI Mondeo before, and I thought it was dog slow. Lots of turbo lag and it goes no where. Could of been that particular one though.

I keep my car in perfect condition (engine and service wise) and it is very quick. Also I do most of my driving on the m50 and the mondeo cruises under no pressure at 100MPH (160kmph).

But the garage i get all my work done in told me stories of people who have had to have there turbos replaced when not looked after. He also said if i wanted to add SERIOUS (and he made sure to underline the serious bit) power he could replace my turbo with a bigger better one , I politely declined, but i do sometimes wonder what SERIOUS power actualy feels like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I keep my car in perfect condition (engine and service wise) and it is very quick. Also I do most of my driving on the m50 and the mondeo cruises under no pressure at 100MPH (160kmph).

But the garage i get all my work done in told me stories of people who have had to have there turbos replaced when not looked after. He also said if i wanted to add SERIOUS (and he made sure to underline the serious bit) power he could replace my turbo with a bigger better one , I politely declined, but i do sometimes wonder what SERIOUS power actualy feels like.

One thing is for certain - you won't find SERIOUS power from a 2 litre diesel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Probably the 90bhp version which is Dog Slow and suffers from serious Turbo Lag. The 115ps & 130ps models are both a lot, lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

I own 06 mondeo 1.8L petrol platinum and i love it. Have done 65,000 kms so for without any trouble. Only regular oil and filter change. Although there are many (including me :D) snicky drivers out there but once and while I do use cruise control and its wonderful. No bothers upto 160kms, haven't tried more.

wondering where are those avensis lovers !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I had a 02 Mondeo 2ltr Desiel 115bhp. Great car, great pick up and unbeatable on the bends.
    I also drive new 2ltr and 3lts petrol mondeos at work and for the job their used for they are bullet proof. Wonderful car to drive on, when you have to.

I now own a new (old type) Avensis.......car is serious comfort compared to the mondeo. Seats are 100% better, controls are more frendly and the cluch is a lot lighter!! Far better car for easly personal driving.

But if you want a car thats fast, unbeatable handling from any car in its class and good enough fuel efficency....it would be the mondeo.

I had a 02 Mondeo 2ltr Desiel 115bhp. Great car, great pick up and unbeatable on the bends.
    I also drive new 2ltr and 3lts petrol mondeos at work and for the job their used for they are bullet proof. Wonderful car to drive on, when you have to.

I now own a new (old type) Avensis.......car is serious comfort compared to the mondeo. Seats are 100% better, controls are more frendly and the cluch is a lot lighter!! Far better car for easly personal driving.

But if you want a car thats fast, unbeatable handling from any car in its class and good enough fuel efficency....it would be the mondeo.

Off topic but I'm guessing you're a Garda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

Very reliable cars

What kinda price would one of these be to buy now? same spec/year etc.just wondering.

budhabob wrote: »
    What kinda price would one of these be to buy now? same spec/year etc.just wondering.

About 5k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Ford seats are usually pure shyte. Poor driving position too, which is made all the bigger a shame because of a well engineered chassis.

You would easily pick one up the same as mine for a around 5k if you look around.
    The only problem i can see with these mondeos is there is little or no re-sale value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

About 5k?

And how reliable are the online pricing for cars, what percentage are they generally willing to drop on advertised prices?
    You would easily pick one up the same as mine for a around 5k if you look around.
    The only problem i can see with these mondeos is there is little or no re-sale value.

And that suits me fines, as with my 97 mondeo, i'd be driving it til it stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

confuzed wrote: »
    I own 06 mondeo 1.8L petrol platinum and i love it. Have done 65,000 kms so for without any trouble. Only regular oil and filter change. Although there are many (including me :D) snicky drivers out there but once and while I do use cruise control and its wonderful. No bothers upto 160kms, haven't tried more.

wondering where are those avensis lovers !!

My old man has a 03 newer shape Avensis that was my car up to about 2.5 years ago. It has almost 190k miles on it now without any major issues. Both cars are generally on a par with regards reliability. The OP will not go wrong buying either car to be honest.

You probably drove the TDDi which only has 90bhp iirc and makes a VAG 1.9 TDi sound quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Biro wrote: »
    Ford seats are usually pure shyte. Poor driving position too, which is made all the bigger a shame because of a well engineered chassis.

Strange - had a 01 Mondeo for 18 months and about 60,000km and found the seats to be very comfortable. Never had an Avensis for any length of time, but there are cars with much worse seats than the Fords out there.

• Advertisement

im guessing you are a garda??
    Iv never heard of a 3litre petrol mondeo, are they custom made, any other performance enhanced shtuff?

And how reliable are the online pricing for cars, what percentage are they generally willing to drop on advertised prices?

And that suits me fines, as with my 97 mondeo, i'd be driving it til it stops.

It depends on the origional asking price. If they are the cheapest in the country, I wouldn't expect them to drop much more.
    You probably drove the TDDi which only has 90bhp iirc and makes a VAG 1.9 TDi sound quiet.

God no, I remember starting it on a few cold morning and it sounded horribly loud. Equally as loud, if not louder IMO.

Edit: On the note of seats, I've always found Vw's seats to be far superior in comfort over that of a Ford. The mother had 03 Fiesta and the seats were like wooden benches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Iv never heard of a 3litre petrol mondeo, are they custom made, any other performance enhanced shtuff?

Theres plenty in the UK, along with 3 litre Lagunas , 407's etc. They just arent sold here.

Off topic but I'm guessing you're a Garda?

Yes
    Biro wrote: »

Ya seat are dire.......dont mind the driving position as long as nobody moves my seat!! (it took me 10 mins to get it right:mad:). Chasis is great, mondeo will come out of corners no other car will becasue of it.

Not custom but not available in Ireland. 202bhp is the untuned version, AGS one is tuned. Not sure of BHP but its a weapon. Nothing else really thats custom (it has leather interior, sun roof and alloys...all on a marked car, these are standard they say:rolleyes:)

Would have been a better idea to get the ST220, but sure im only the guy who'll be driving them....what do I know:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Stekelly wrote: »
    Theres plenty in the UK, along with 3 litre Lagunas , 407's etc. They just arent sold here.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/car-reviews/car-and-driving/ford-mondeo-3.0-litre-v6-ghia-x-1003057.html

200BHP untuned, and you drive the tuned one!!

Must enjoy your job!!!

• Advertisement

200BHP untuned, and you drive the tuned one!!

Must enjoy your job!!!

God, yes I do!!!

Advertisement