Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Electric Showers in 1 House

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you are quoting me on the control circuit from a previous post!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yes, I know. I still dont know what you meant by that remark :confused:

Still either way I never really liked those shower priority units, they always seemed to burn out/fail. The contactor is a much better solution, or only have 1 instantaneous shower in the installation.

2011 wrote: »
    Yes and a regulation. This is how you should isolate the appliance.

I dont know what you mean here. As explained above the local isolator is provided for isolation.

Sorry, I dont follow this either. What do you mean "nuisance"?

With a 2 way switch outside each bathroom either shower can be selected. If the isolators have neon indication it will be clear to the user which one has been "selected".

it was a mistake i should have said the contactor doesn't provide isolation for the timelag system as claimed.
    the way i see it atm :

.the timelag ,4-pole contactor and 2 isolators is an excellent priority system(priority is guaranteed a shower, other shower can be interrupted).contactor is normally de-energised.

standard non-priority system .(fully-automated.first in is 'guaranteed' a shower,no interrupted showers) but both contactors are normally energised and there is a significant but small standy current.

your 2-way system .non-priority but showers can be interrupted.(when changing over the 2-way to select shower you don't know if you're interrupting the other shower unless you can hear it)contactor may also be left energised

if the 'current sensing relays' had n/o contacts 2 n/c contactors could be used .it would be automated, no interruption ,no standby current. but they didn't seem to be available last time i asked .as you say better not to create these problems in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

Fair comments guys, I suppose the addition of an isolator in proximity to shower is no hassle. The advantage of the timelag is that you dont leave your slave shower(and contactor) energised all the time if you forget to turn of the switch.

It's the method I use anyway even though very rarely anymore as people seem to be shying away from these "electric", "instantaneous"...... showers in favour of ones that use water from the cylinder.

I would advise anyone to keep away from these priority relay units that can be purchased as they are mad dear and most don't work 100% satisfactorily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, I know. I still dont know what you meant by that remark :confused:

Still either way I never really liked those shower priority units, they always seemed to burn out/fail. The contactor is a much better solution, or only have 1 instantaneous shower in the installation.

???

The Priority units I've seen use contactors so presumably would work the same way as this wiring spec,are there other types?

http://www.voltimum.ie/news/8162/s/ABB-s-Range-of-Priority-Non-Priority-Shower-Boards.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

davelerave
    it was a mistake
    OK, I thought I was missing something very obvious:D

davelerave
    but both contactors are normally energised and there is a significant but small standy current.
    The surrent drawn is so small it is not relevant.

davelerave
    your 2-way system .non-priority but showers can be interrupted.(when changing over the 2-way to select shower you don't know if you're interrupting the other shower unless you can hear it)

True, but I dont see it as much of an issue. You could just try talking to the people that you live with:D:D

davelerave
    contactor may also be left energised
    This is not an issue. Contactors can be left energised indefinitely without any issues. This would be normal with auto change over for generators etc.

davelerave
    if the 'current sensing relays' had n/o contacts 2 n/c contactors could be used .it would be automated, no interruption ,no standby current.
    Yes, I agree the best job of all. The problem is that by installing this you will have out priced yourself!

Randyleprechaun
    The advantage of the timelag is that you dont leave your slave shower(and contactor) energised all the time if you forget to turn of the switch.
    There is no issue leaving a contactor energised. If there was there would be a time rating on the datasheet.

Randyleprechaun
    I would advise anyone to keep away from these priority relay units that can be purchased as they are mad dear and most don't work 100% satisfactorily.
    I would agree.

12 watts power consumption on standby for some units according to a previous thread poster.i assume there may be better units available.they can of course be noisy when energised

12 watts power consumption on standby
    That is more than I expected TBH. Still that means 100 hours would cost about 17 cent.
    they can of course be noisy when energised
    Replace it if this is the case.

Any house with storage heating will have contractors that are energized all night every night.

dunno about the 12watts myself never checked.de-energized on standy is preferable if possible obviously.on reflection the manual 2-way or timelag is cheap and effective and the no/nc arrangement is failsafe

dunno about the 12watts myself never checked
    Yeah, it sounds very high to me

• Advertisement
Advertisement