Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with plumber

Options
  • 16-06-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,

Just looking for advice on something

About two months ago I got a substantial amount of plumbing work done on a house I own (I am the landlord and rent it out). This involved installation of new boiler, tank and other associated works.

A potential problem has arisen - the new water pump is constantly making noise and my tenant is concerned about this (possibly running up a large bill etc)

I informed that plumber who installed the system and asked him to take a look at it (when installed he informed me that his work was under warranty)

Despite repeated promises and appointments to come around and check the system, the plumber has not been to the house. My tenant even took a morning off work in order to meet him but he never turned up.

At this point, I am tired of myself and my tenant chasing this guy. I am thinking of getting another plumber to take a look and perform any remedial work if necessary, as it reflects poorly on me as a landlord to not have this resolved.

However, I believe it is the plumber who installed the system's responsibility to fix this issue -and would like to pursue him for costs incurred.

Is this possible and, if so, what is the best way to approach this?

Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

If the repairs cost less than €2k, AFAIK you could pursue him through the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Not in this case the house is or should be regarded as a business investment and therefore outside the remit of the SCC.

I agree that the original plumber should come and do the work but I imagine you should just drop him and tell all you know if he doesn't show quick sharp.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I don't think it would be considered a business.

Inform the plumber that he has to come back and fix the issue or else you will file a case with the small claims court. Give him 10 days, and if nothing is done, start the process with the small claims court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If the house is registered with the PRTB it therefore = Business and SCC cannot be used for business disputes.

Take him to the District Court after you get a pro to fix it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Well I suppose you could always try, they can only say no, besides the plumber doesn't know that I'm sure

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Well I suppose you could always try, they can only say no, besides the plumber doesn't know that I'm sure

MC

The SCC will know, and the plumber will never hear from them. Since the plumber is a businessman, he may well be aware of this too.

Get a reputable plumber to check out the system anyway. It shouldn't cost too much to get an opinion. If major work is needed, you should get your solicitor to write to the original plumber, or you could get a different plumber to make the repairs, and then go after the original guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SCC is cheap and fast so have a crack , if he loses set the sheriff on him straight away to collect .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

You didn't specify if the pump in question was a standard centrl heating pump or if the house's entire water system is pumped. If it is the latter then the pump is running constantly because there is a leak in the central heating system, and the pump is running continuously to refil the system - bit like constantly running water through a hose to try to fill a leaky bucket. Look for leaks in the hotpress, at the radiators, damp patches on ceilings or under carpets/floorboards. It could also be a simple thing like a dripping tap or toilet. You'd be better off trying to fix this yourself than going the legal route. In my experience, most "tradesmen" don't give a sh1t about doing a good job and want to get in and out quick leaving a crap job behind. That's why I do 99% of the work in my house so at least I know its done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

In my experience, most "tradesmen" don't give a sh1t about doing a good job and want to get in and out quick leaving a crap job behind.

Ani't that the fkn truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

if the house's entire water system is pumped. If it is the latter then the pump is running constantly because there is a leak in the central heating system, and the pump is running continuously to refil the system - bit like constantly running water through a hose to try to fill a leaky bucket. Look for leaks in the hotpress, at the radiators, damp patches on ceilings or under carpets/floorboards. It could also be a simple thing like a dripping tap or toilet.

Not much help from the point of view of getting the plumber to sort it, but my neighbour's water pump was doing that (and yes, running up electricity bills as it constantly kicked in and out), and we fixed it by tweaking the ballcock in the toilet cistern - many toilets have a weight on a long screw (for want of a better description). You might find half in turn in one direction or another sorts it out if there are no other obvious leaks like Dave suggested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement