Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL /UPC or Sky for new LCD TV

• 16-06-2009 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Getting a new 42" LCD TV. After doing a bit of checking about I noticed comments on various sites suggesting that different carriers signals might be better for different types of TV's - problems with 'shadows' etc. Anyone able to enlighten me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Getting a new 42" LCD TV. After doing a bit of checking about I noticed comments on various sites suggesting that different carriers signals might be better for different types of TV's - problems with 'shadows' etc. Anyone able to enlighten me?
    First off all Sky's picture quality is much much better than UPC on SD picture, then you can have HD which is amazing which UPC doesn't have, so no argument get Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

200motels wrote: »
    First off all Sky's picture quality is much much better than UPC on SD picture, then you can have HD which is amazing which UPC doesn't have, so no argument get Sky.

Second that... LCD = Must get sky as Upc picture way 2 compressed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

I can't comment on Sky picture quality, and I no longer have NTL. But I'd suggest that for any video source you're best off with something that connects via HDMI and does upscaling of SD or does HD natively. Be it a Sky box, Freesat, FTA, DTT or DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

YOU've really only got 3 options.

UPC/NTL.
    Sky
    Freesat.

UPC/NTL do not do HD, which means that the image on your screen is not really living up to it's full potential. Your image will probably be coming from a scart too, so on a screen that size the pixelation will be prominent.

Sky have a great deal of HD channels, which are perfect for your TV, as well as having all terrestrial channels.

Freesat has the advantage of being free, but only gives you 2 HD Channels (Alledgedly soon to be four) in ITV HD and BBC HD - and ITV HD isn't even a real channel (But it's great for watching the Champions leage games in HD on). Also, Freesat have no RTE or TV3 TV channels - But that'll become less of an issue when DTT launches by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭trisodioum

UPC are doing HD now, Ive got it on 42" LCD and its deadly!
    Only 7 channels at the mo but its great! and they have ESPN HD so 46 Premier League Matches sorted!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭Trampas

trisodioum wrote: »
    UPC are doing HD now, Ive got it on 42" LCD and its deadly!
    Only 7 channels at the mo but its great! and they have ESPN HD so 46 Premier League Matches sorted!:D

but what about the other 90+ that Sky offer which UPC don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

SKY hands down wins every time............

well considering UPC only have HD for the last 2 weeks..... of course sky have more...! Just wait i suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Sorry but I can see this thread getting stupid....

Sky are the best TV provider in Ireland hands down,
    Anybody who says different is misinforming you or has never had Sky

If you want a cheaper alternative try UPC but in my opinion you get what you pay for

Yea i agree there the best Provider.. . Only saying they have just got HD...! If you want to make it stupid work away!

Cheaper is better! RECESSION ring a bell?? with the Phone and BB its all round better deal "hands down!" ! 1 bill!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

guys, at what point does sky's 12month contract begin for a new customer?

when you insert the card first time?

Well as soon as your package has come through as far as i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

desperate to know. got to a point where (i think) my order was put on hold, because i couldn't pay the one-off (box/install) fee. guy said he'd call me back tomorrow when i had my 3V topped up to do it, final step

what ya reckon? seem a long way from being in contract in a sense, but then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Discuss UPC HD over here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54

I'm closing this thread as it's confusing having been from before UPC HD service started. Someone dug it up to punt the UPC HD. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement