Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site evauation

Options
  • 17-06-2009 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi all long time sinc my last post - sign of the times

have done up a new site and was looking for your input my css now is a lot better so hopefully it will pass the test - please dont hold back as can only make me better :)www.oneillfinance.com

cheers lads
    swordsinfo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Like the design, although its a bit weird the way half the womans head as been clipped out...

However, it's not validating against W3C standards

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its not to bad design wise but like above - cutting both folks head off is very odd (especially the woman!). Needs a bit of SEO work - missing alt tags for example. Good though you have made progress with meta tags :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

Thats the last test of the site - once everything is ok I run the validators.
    had to clip the pic as the image wasnt solid throughout :) the idea of the banner to to represent a successful deal (the handshake) - if ya get my meaning

Thanks fro the response though will run it through the validators at lunch time

swordsinfo wrote: »
    Thats the last test of the site - once everything is ok I run the validators.
    had to clip the pic as the image wasnt solid throughout :) the idea of the banner to to represent a successful deal (the handshake) - if ya get my meaning

Thanks fro the response though will run it through the validators at lunch time

I'd say you'd find a similar themed photo on the stock photos websites easily enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Personally, I would replace the image if your not going to fix her head. It takes away from the whole site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Is it really necessary to have a contact form on every single page? I'd opt for having just one "Contact us" page where you'd give the visitors the option of selecting the type of query, but that's just me.

Then on the Home Choice Loan page, the content is going beyond your background.
    overflow.jpg

I think if you changed the "height" property of #container_body to "min-height", then the container will (should) expand to the size of the content.

And although PNG is not entirely compatible with IE6, you could save mainbanner as a PNG to be used by all browsers that do support it, and define the existing JPEG as an alternative for IE6. This would get rid of the jagged look of those diagonal lines.
    Note: This has to be done from your source file, not just converting the JPEG into PNG.

Sully wrote: »
    Personally, I would replace the image if your not going to fix her head. It takes away from the whole site.

+1
    Hoku wrote: »
    Is it really necessary to have a contact form on every single page? I'd opt for having just one "Contact us" page where you'd give the visitors the option of selecting the type of query, but that's just me.

Then on the Home Choice Loan page, the content is going beyond your background.
    overflow.jpg

I think if you changed the "height" property of #container_body to "min-height", then the container will (should) expand to the size of the content.

And although PNG is not entirely compatible with IE6, you could save mainbanner as a PNG to be used by all browsers that do support it, and define the existing JPEG as an alternative for IE6. This would get rid of the jagged look of those diagonal lines.
    Note: This has to be done from your source file, not just converting the JPEG into PNG.

+1 The jaggies do detract from the look of the design

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

using firefox 3, the different pages seem to shift slightly. so on main page click on one of the navigation links, and when new page loads it'll be slightly bigger or moved across.

also when i first read the url it seemed like 'oneill finance.com' - perfect for the state of banks :)

Cheers guys - ok obviuosly I have to change the banner - and seems I need to look at the css if he page is shifting? Thanks for the input

*Hint hint* The problem is on the home page around the calculator (and the associated css).
    Don't know where 'cause I didn't look at the source :pac:

• Advertisement

what kinda prob?

also your contact forms on each page are a little broken. the right border at the top doesn't match up. looks about 1px out

pants forgot about that stand by one!

hows that now?

Ok, I see now why there's a shifting effect. The homepage fits on the screen completely and does not require a scrollbar, whereas the other pages do have a scrollbar. That's why it looks like everything shifts.
    Also your calculator is a fair bit wider that the contact forms. Set the same width for #contact and #calculator.

EDIT: The border on the calculator looks better now, so now EVERY page is missing that 1px.

Dont really like using embedded scroll bars so cant change the scrolling
    But the size of the two forms are now the same :)

is it all aligning up ok now seems to be fine here but have only checked it on chrome and IE7

not lining up here for me. home page still different than other pages

also on the other pages where your contact form is, the borders are not joining up. its the top part where the right border is slanted

Can you let me know what browser you are using so I can replicate the enviroment had it zoomed up to the max in chrome and it looked like a clean lineup

also with regard to the line up i think we identified that its the scroll bar which is required that is kinking it

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

It's only shifting because of the scrollbar. You can force a scrollbar on the homepage to correct this, otherwise you need to re evaluate the design if it bothers you.

• Advertisement

I think in the grand scheme of things it isnt a massive problem but will se what the rest say!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

If FF3 on Ubuntu your mortgage form is a bit all over the place

Untitled_10.jpg

here is a picture of what i see.

http://www.2shared.com/file/6346771/234e317b/web2.html

Firefox 3, windows 7
    The home page border looks grand, just the contact forms on other pages

What browsers are you developing in and testing in?

IE7 and ff3 and chrome on xp

Ok I tweaked the "slant" to add a white border that should enforce alignment and make everyone happy...ish :)

Thnk I had the zoom function in in ff as it wasnt showing up untilI zoomed out. Appreciate the screen shot!

fixed now. :)

cheers for the help much appreciated!

Advertisement