Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Driver

• 17-06-2009 1:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

I've decided that I want to learn to drive. Got a similar idea a few years ago but got too scared. I've just renewed my permit (2nd) and my parents got me insured on their car for my birthday. Problem is, it's a 2ltr tdi mondeo and I'm scared outa my mind about driving it. I've driven it a little, just around the house a few times and I'm ok with that but it feels too powerful for me and I don't feel that I've good visability out of it. I am very nervous and feel that I have no judgement in the car whatsoever! :eek:

Any hints/tips on learning? Any suggestion of quiet places to practice at the beginning. I live in Killorglin, Co Kerry..

Also, it is a bad idea learning in this car? I don't have a car of my own and this one is the only car I have access to. But would I be better off just going for lessons and using the instructors car? :confused:

Do you think that I should learn the basics first before I go for lessons?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm EXTREMELY nervous and want to be prepared.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 anyanka

Hi,

I am also a new learner so not sure of full facts and i'm sure someone will correct me but I thought that as a holder of a learner permit you can only drive up to a 1.4l engine.... again am open to correction on that.

Re lessons I would definite advise getting lessons with a qualified instructor in his/her car especially if you're a bit nervous as they have dual controls which gives good peace of mind until you become more confident and competent and then switch to lessons in regular car,

Good luck, it is scary and frustrating but worth it in the end (I hope!!!)
    A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

anyanka wrote: »
    Hi,

I am also a new learner so not sure of full facts and i'm sure someone will correct me but I thought that as a holder of a learner permit you can only drive up to a 1.4l engine.... again am open to correction on that.

There are no current restrictions on the size of the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

There are no restrictions on engines sizes for learner drivers - all that is required is that you have valid insurance for the car you are driving (and of course that your Learner Permit is in date). Some discounted insurance policies limit the engine size for new drivers but this is a condition of the insurance rather than your licence.

Personally I think you would be better off doing the first few lessons in an instructors car. These will generally be small hatchbacks and are easy to drive. However the main advantage is safety - both for you and for other road users! The instructor will have dual controls and can take control as needed if you are caught in an awkward or potentially dangerous situation. You will also learn the correct way to drive and not start off with any bad habits.

After a few lessons in the instructors car and once you gain a little more confidence on the road and in traffic etc, you should be happier to take the Mondeo with an accompanying qualified driver and practice what the instructor has taught you.

Good luck and try not to be too nervous, take the plunge and book a lesson - once you get driving it will be a skill that stands to you for the rest of your life. BTW instructors are well used to nervous pupils and so will start you off in an appropriate (i.e. quiet) area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Mondeo (and most fords) is a great car to learn in. Better to learn in a bigger car I think. I learned to drive in a 2 litre saloon ford focus then a 2 litre bmw and I'm now driving a 1.4. They're a great car to drive, very smooth. Once you get the hang of it you'll appreciate the bigger engine.

As the previous poster suggested. Do lessons in a dual-controlled car. This helps build confidence. I did a few lessons in a dual-control peugeot 307 and then moved onto the bigger focus. Transition was smooth and once I got the hang of the clutch in the focus I found it a really nice car to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nameajaysus

Thanks everyone! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement