Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you addicted to inflation?

Options
  • 17-06-2009 2:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Alot of people seem to think inflation is a good thing, especially if you are in debt. Inflation is bad, inflation is the destroyer of economies. Inflation is not even good in small doses. Here is what my hero Lew Rockwell has to say about it http://mises.org/story/2943 Are you addicted to inflation by any chance? It is not good for you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

What? How could someone possibly be addicted to inflation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭well horse

No. Inflation sucks big fat diseased donkey cock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I don't know why you think were addicted to inflation.

It has been one of the driving forces in ruining the Irish economy over the last number of years with a huge loss in competiveness.

All the same inflation is needed for growth to some level al long as its manageable and at a low level.

This deflation spiral we have going at the moment is good in the short to improve some of our lost competiveness but I hope it doesn't go on for too much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

You are addicted to inflation because it is obvious that your economy collapses without it, but not even inflation can keep things up forever.

Spit it out son, whats so bad about inflation?

Personally, the smell of useless paper money during a period of hyperinflation gives me the horn.

Nothing like shovelling barrells of the stuff around while youre children go hungry for want of a slice of bread.

• Advertisement

1huge1 wrote: »
    This deflation spiral we have going at the moment is good in the short to improve some of our lost competiveness but I hope it doesn't go on for too much longer.

Why would we not want it to continue?? Surely we need to entice companies to locate here?

You are addicted to inflation because it is obvious that your economy collapses without it, but not even inflation can keep things up forever.

and the country won't collapse with hyperinflation? Besides not wanting your country to collapse does not mean an addiction to inflation! Sorry for being pedantic.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

SLUSK wrote: »
    Who's this 'you' you're referring to? Ireland as a whole? The people? Individuals? Might want to clarify a bit

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

If you read my post I said inflation cannot keep the economy up forever. Stagflation is coming, beware.

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Who's this 'you' you're referring to? Ireland as a whole? The people? Individuals? Might want to clarify a bit

I would say the people as a whole, because inflation caused by credit expansion was the driving force behind the property boom.

SLUSK wrote: »
    I would say the people as a whole, because inflation caused by credit expansion was the driving force behind the property boom.

Where are you posting these messages from, may I ask? You must not be from Ireland as you use the term "you" and not "we".

I don't expect that we are facing stagflation btw. Consumers are constantly being dripped information about how things are bottoming out and how there are "green shoots of recovery" in the US; consumer demand will begin to grow back by next year.

well horse wrote: »
    I don't expect that we are facing stagflation btw. Consumers are constantly being dripped information about how things are bottoming out and how there are "green shoots of recovery" in the US; consumer demand will begin to grow back by next year.

Recovery in the US and recovery in Ireland are two very different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Why would we not want it to continue?? Surely we need to entice companies to locate here?
    From a economics point of view deflation is unsustainable and can do damage in the long term, don't get me wrong I really hope the one thing we gain out of this recession is our lost competiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Given a lot of the irish economy is struggling under large amounts of debt (i.e. fixed liabilities), inflation might be just the thing to reduce the impact of such fixed debt.

Deflation in Irelands situation ( see again, economy struggling under large amounts of debt) could be a bad thing as people take pay cuts but their fixed liabilities to the bank get relatively larger and larger, hindering their spending more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,410 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sand wrote: »
    Given a lot of the irish economy is struggling under large amounts of debt (i.e. fixed liabilities), inflation might be just the thing to reduce the impact of such fixed debt.

Deflation in Irelands situation ( see again, economy struggling under large amounts of debt) could be a bad thing as people take pay cuts but their fixed liabilities to the bank get relatively larger and larger, hindering their spending more and more.

there is a price to be paid either way, any attempt to inflate by the ECB will directly feed into interest rates which will cripple debtors as fast as living through a deflation where incomes and prices are under pressure.
    Either way the unsustainable companies will be driven out of business as their customers are forced to pay off debts instead of running up debts on consumption items.
    An inflation policy makes no sense from a logical perspective, creating more bits of paper or 1's and 0's does not increase economic activity.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

1huge1 wrote: »
    From a economics point of view deflation is unsustainable and can do damage in the long term, don't get me wrong I really hope the one thing we gain out of this recession is our lost competiveness.

Which can only be attained by "normal" wages.. What will do more damage in the short term is high welfare payouts which are unsustainable. If the cost of living does not come down, welfare payouts won't. Unless the government decide those on the dole should be entitled to much less then they are now which may be no harm?

Advertisement