Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SFIV casual meet - Round 2 July 4th - discussion

• 17-06-2009 5:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

Hey lads! Last meet was great craic :) I noticed a lot of people were saying about doing it every 2 weeks but was thinking that we should make an exception this time because of Q-Con so was thinking of doing it again for July 4th?

In terms of the format, I think it worked out great. I think we should do a couple things a little differently this time to make it clearer. I was thinking that we could run it an hour earlier and finish an hour earlier too? (1PM-5PM) so that for some of us, there is no mad rush to catch the bus. Well, ok, I mean for me :D. Also, because there were a few consoles that were rented for an hour before the others, the total cost was different so reason why I thought we could start and finish an hour earlier is so that I can find out from xtreme the total cost for renting the machines, divide it among all of us and settle the payment there.

A simple request that I'd like to make if I may :) is please guys, leave the cost of the consoles up to me. I appreciate and support the idea of shutting off machines if they're not being used and I appreciate that you didn't want to bother me :) but just to make it easier to organise, if you notice a machine not being used, tell me and I'll go down and pay them myself but something to be sure of is if you paid a deposit for one of the machines, notify me of that too so that I know who to give back their money. Although about the deposits, I found out when I was renting out the xboxs myself, I explained that we brought our own controllers and copies of SFIV so they didn't ask for it so if you're looking to rent another console, explain to them that bit :)

Finally, the sad bit now :) (*insert crowd "aww"), there is a chance that I may not be able to host this meet myself so I wanted to ask if anyone here would be willing to organise it if I can't make it. I won't spring it on anyone at the last minute but won't be able to say if I can/can't do it until early next week.

Almost forgot. Something which I was considering the idea of is making this meet a multi fight game meet. Like get other fighting games like SCIV and VF5 into it so what do you lads think?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

What are you still doing up at this time!

The only problem with the 27th is it clashes with Q-Con which is covention in Belfast that has many fighting game tournaments run over the course of that weekend. So some players might be going to that.

I'm all for shutting down unused consoles. Just be careful not to shut down a console of players who are just taking a break.

As for playing other fighting games go for it, personally I only really interested in SF IV and Super Turbo but if there is demand I don't see why not. I think the way the fighting scene at the XGC started was when they started running SC 4 tournaments at it.

Also if you planing on runing it every two weaks I would alturnate between a casual and a competitive meet up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Maybe a couple of casuals in a row as we start up, as everyone I talked to said they were more relaxed and enjoyed it more? I think more new people would be willing to show up if it's casual, so keeping it that way for the next couple of meetups could be the way to go.

And yeah, no point meeting up the weekend Q-Con is on - we can easily just do it the week afterwards instead in case anyone is heading to that.

I think anyone could show up with any games they wanted tbh, whether other people are up for playing them is a different matter. :pac: There's nothing stopping anyone from bringing in whatever fighters they want, though.

Also, if we have it in on the 4th rather than the 27th, then if we host another one two weeks after that, KOFXII will hopefully be out!

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Lol, I could say the same to you Azza :). I usually stay up late.

Ah right, k. I guess 4th would be better. I must check out Q-Con myself. Much better journey to Belfast than Dublin :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm going to have to come up to one of these meets :) Where exactly is the venue? I'l prob take the train to Heuston and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm going to have to come up to one of these meets :) Where exactly is the venue? I'l prob take the train to Heuston and go from there.

It's on Liffey Street,so if you get the Luas from Heuston to Abbey Street you'll only have a 5 min walk.

I'll definately go to the next meet up,I'll be going to Q-con too,I can meet any of you guys that want to go at Bus/Train station if you don't know your way around Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Where exactly is the venue?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=111271002275053575026.0004673a1e348e45a3b87&z=16

If you walk up the street directly perpendicular to the liffey at the Ha'Pennys bridge you'll see if on your left after you pass the pub "Pravda"

speaking of Pravda, where did you go for beers the last day? Gutted I didn't hang around in the end :(

Also, in regards to another one, some form of basic structuring might be good. Something that will ensure everyone gets to play everyone at least a few times. I dunno, maybe some form of knockout tournament that you can opt in or out of on the day. Maybe have it points based rather than rounds so each person gets to play whoever's in the tourny at least once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Leprekaun wrote: »
    I usually stay up late.

That's not late, that's early :D

Was playing third strike yesterday and in a heated battle with that f@*ker gill, two of my buttons disconnected from my hori pcb :(

Hopefully I can resolder them back on, otherwise I might have to borrow someones stick next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

animaX wrote: »
    That's not late, that's early :D

Yeah, I mean around where I live the birds start singing around 4:30am and the sky starts getting brighter. That's usually a good indicator that I should probably go to bed, lol :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Not working on the 27th, but I'll be away in Donegal.

I'll get to one of these eventually dammit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The 27th is ringing a bell for me so might not be able to make it. I'll try and remember what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

K, I've adjusted my first post to account for Q-Con. So July 4th then? Although I'd like to note, there'll probably less chance of me hosting it on the 4th over the 27th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Couldn't make it to the 27th so I'm glad if the new date is the 4th. Looking forward to it already :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll be there as long as the aliens don't blow up Dublin. I saw a documentary about it once starring Will Smith.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'll definitely be in Germany for this one. Pity, last one was fun (first Boards related alcohol inclusive event where I didn't know anyone in ages)!

L31mr0d wrote: »
    speaking of Pravda, where did you go for beers the last day? Gutted I didn't hang around in the end :(

Twas pravda, we managed to nab one of the tables in the back downstairs and even reclaim it later after we got Burdock's. :pac:

edit: As for structuring, I played a load of games just walking around asking people if they wanted to play - with the amount of consoles we had, dunno how people couldn't have gotten their fair share of matches in. If someone's up to running an impromptu tournament on the day though you won't hear any complaints from me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'll be there as long as the aliens don't blow up Dublin. I saw a documentary about it once starring Will Smith.

Don't worry we can just upload a windows virus into their mainframe and they will blow up.

Thought it was a MAC virus!

The 4th is good for me!

Jim wrote: »
    The 4th is good for me!

Quick change the date so!

Bison is afraid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭DarkTalant

I think the 4th is good for me, I'm not too sure about merlin though, I'll have to check. I'll try too drop in for a few games at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Should be able to make it on the 4th. Last one was a bit of craic.

Oh and WTF must of the bouncer at Pravda have thought last time when he wanted to look in the bags?

Yeah the only time I felt worse was when I can back from New York. Didn't have enough room in my bag for all the games I bought so brought them in hand luggage. I just got a disapproving shake of the head when the security opened my bag. Didn't even check the bag just handed it back, probably knew someone this nerdy would never be smuggling drugs.

Haha, yeah, at least we're probably not the worst nerds they get since Games Workshop is right across the road as well. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Wear your badge with pride. I'd have no issue walking into a place with my "i see fragged people" t-shirts :D I'ts far too much effort trying to be "cool" and ultimately you are just trying to emulate the other million dumbasses.

Plus, when the nerds use their giant lazer beams to take over the world, I know which side i'll be fighting on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I was thinking more along the lines of the bouncer saw a load of lads with various bits of electrics in the bags, then probably heard them talking about soldering and replacing PCBs. Then heard Azza talking about being a dictator.....

"Terrorists, right here in Liffey st! Get the lads......"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah the only time I felt worse was when I can back from New York. Didn't have enough room in my bag for all the games I bought so brought them in hand luggage. I just got a disapproving shake of the head when the security opened my bag. Didn't even check the bag just handed it back, probably knew someone this nerdy would never be smuggling drugs.

so u got the drugs back then? sound.

i may go. didnt show at the last one due to hangover. 4th of july? might be time for the patented america pants

Seems my threats of how great I was worked on Jazzy for the last meet.

And by threats I mean bluffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

This one another one of those 360 players only things yeah?:o

• Advertisement

Cunny-Funt wrote: »
    This one another one of those 360 players only things yeah?:o

Nope, neither were any of the ones before this! There's been a PS3 presence at all of the events and people have happily switched between consoles using other people's sticks/pads.

edit: Looks like you'll need another excuse! :pac:

(jk)

Advertisement