Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SFIV casual meet - Round 2 July 4th - discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

PS3.. will be bringing my TE and a few Saturn Pads, so guys with sticks or pads on the 360's can switch around and vice versa.

Leprekaun, are you going to be able to make this one? What's the meet time, 2pm again?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, I'll be able to make this one. I'll post up the details later tonight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've been practicing today, first time in ages (**** you Persona 3!) and I think I have gotten way worse. Having trouble again with the stick and can't pull off an ultra or super when under pressure :/ I need some serious cramming tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've been practicing today, first time in ages (**** you Persona 3!) and I think I have gotten way worse. Having trouble again with the stick and can't pull off an ultra or super when under pressure :/ I need some serious cramming tomorrow.

dont believe it. youve been playing japan wars 3: rise of the eyebrows. my god retro, just put the pad down. unless you want a race at who can finish crono trigger/ secret of mana/ ffvii fastest. in that case id so win. in FACT id do it for charity between me and you. pool our funds and set out limits for meningitis charity (i got stung with that feb 2008, almost killed me :/ ). interesting idea. when im less drunk ill pm u a more serious proposal as to charity gaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Hope to pop in for a little while - meet & greet. Lanning in Dublin anyway so hopefully. I won't promise anything though.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'll be there at around 1:30. Hopefully I won't be the only one there :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Jazzy wrote: »
    dont believe it. youve been playing japan wars 3: rise of the eyebrows. my god retro, just put the pad down. unless you want a race at who can finish crono trigger/ secret of mana/ ffvii fastest. in that case id so win. in FACT id do it for charity between me and you. pool our funds and set out limits for meningitis charity (i got stung with that feb 2008, almost killed me :/ ). interesting idea. when im less drunk ill pm u a more serious proposal as to charity gaming

I think the a competition to get the highest score in Desert Bus would be more grueling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

I don't know if I'll be there or not.It's a 2 hour bus trip down and I wont be heading to Kildare after so that's another 2 hour trip back up,if I'm drinking tonight and it's warm tomorrow there's no chance of me getting on a bus anywhere.

aww, really? I was looking forward to some matches. :(

• Advertisement

Sorry to be a downer but there is a chance I may not be able to make it tomorrow. I have a knee injury which I've aggrevated a couple days ago. The pain was really irritating me for the last couple days but its almost gone today so hopefully, won't feel it all tomorrow.

I'll probably still go even if it hurts as the doc said that I just need to build up some muscle and take some pain for a while and it'll be alright so just in the strange circumstance that the pain is unbearable tomorrow, I don't think I'd be able to go.

But I'm sure you're grown ups and can take care of yourselves (well, some of you anyway :p) if I don't show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Lucky we're not playing street fighter on project natal :D But, I hope you're up to it anyway. If not, someone else will carry the torch

animaX wrote: »
    Lucky we're not playing street fighter on project natal :D But, I hope you're up to it anyway. If not, someone else will carry the torch

Had the image of that bizarre XboX fighting game from "The Island" pop into my head as you said that. I'm sure leprekaun would be beastly at that with his gammy leg :D

Still, people can slag the game all they want but if microsoft released it with a free Scarlett Johansson.......it would sell well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Im in the same boat as blag, if im drinking tonight I doubt ill be driving up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I've drank the night before every single one of these so far!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Did you have to drive far? I get the worst hangovers ever and dont even drive down town the next day, nevermind drive an hour and a half there and back :pac:

Nah it's public transport here so it's a lot easier. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Well I can't go either as I have a birthday thing to go to. That's one less ps3 players anyway. Rest of yas have fun.

Right, I'm on the 9:20 bus. Should be there round 1:30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Should be there around 2/2:30

• Advertisement

Will look to be in around 1:30 as well.

Will be in around 2 and I'm bringing an ass kicking with me.

around 1:30 ish here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Should make it in today.

gah... sorry guys can't make this one after all :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I missed it too :(

Just back from it. Good fun had by all :D When's the next one? :p

Had fun as well at this one. Actually won a few games and had a lot of close ones. Next up, winner of Evo 2010.

was anyone there from the PS3 contingent?

Yep, a couple of people, though it was mostly xboxen.

• Advertisement

Not a lot of PS3 people this time.

There was also a worrying amount of Lariat users at it and by a worrying amount I mean more than zero is too much :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Great craic today, really enjoyed it. Some difference to playing online all the time.

Although most people were on xbox most people were using arcade sticks so didn't really matter (except me and Lep with our xbox pads >< )

Btw, Holligan Throw > Kirby

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Cheers for seting this up today, it was a good laugh, nice place they got going on up there.
    Everyone was bang on too, wasn't sure what it would be like before i went but i need not havre worried ;)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There was also a worrying amount of Lariat users at it and by a worrying amount I mean more than zero is too much :P

haha, now we know who you're afraid of.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah good time was had by all.

Cunny-Funt your out of excuses, you have to show uo to the next event. You can't be really that hideous can you? There is always enough sticks to share around for each format so thats not a valid excuse.

Nice to see a nice face in Owwmykneecap. Fair play to travelling to the meet up and even fairer play for maining Vega!

Kirby wrote:
    Just back from it. Good fun had by all When's the next one?

For you the day of the next meet up was a day you greatly looked foward too. But for me it was Tuesday!

I'll once again remind people to refrain from using the offical word to describe Zangiefs spinning top moves as if against the forums charter! :mad:
    Don't make me get out the facepalm pictures people!

Jim wrote: »
    Btw, Holligan Throw > Kirby

:p. I know! For the first few games none hit me, and I'm like, all smug and waxing lyrical about how "they need to buff it, it never hits, all you have to do is duck" etc, etc.

And then ofcourse, I get hit by like 6 in a row :o Gotta love them cammy fights though. All action!

Yeah, great fun lads :). Lots of good games there. Shame there wasn't as many people as last time.

Sorry for delaying everyone at the end there. I'm good at my maths, just a little slow :p.

About the next one, very small chance that I'd be able to host it because I don't think I'd be able to attend it :( so if someone is willing to take over, that would be great.

Unless you lads fancy another meet for next week :p

Tis no bother for me to get into town, so sure I'll head down. I imagine less people would show up but who cares, that just means more matches with the same people.

If someone's up to organising a tournament, we could have one for the next big meetup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Azza wrote: »

For you the day of the next meet up was a day you greatly looked foward too. But for me it was Tuesday!

Anyone who keeps quoting that terrible film will be destroyed!

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Unless you lads fancy another meet for next week :p

I'm up for next week aswell. I mean, be honest.....what else are you going to do from 2-6 on a saturday? If the numbers are there, I'll definately show up.

I won't be able to make it next weekend, have to go home to the sunny south-east. But yeah, i think the next big meet could be a tournament. That would boost numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Will check my work situation, must train a bit again -- everytime I take a few days of SF, I start sucking royally! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

animaX wrote: »
    I won't be able to make it next weekend, have to go home to the sunny south-east. But yeah, i think the next big meet could be a tournament. That would boost numbers

Won't meet next weekend either, but would agree with a tournament for the next big meet with at least ranking battles if not a tournament.

Its time to start at least ranking play with a view to a seeded tournament?
    Even if there's no sponser or prize money, bragging rights are worth enough;)

We could easily agree on seeds after a preliminary round and then have brackets after that, with casual or off tourney machines as well to make sure everyones happy?

I'd be up for this weekend as I missed last weekend :(

I've got a TE for the PS3 so if someone else with a stick for the 360 is going we can swap around.

Also K.O.Kiki, I know what you mean. If I don't play SFIV for a few days then come back to it I'm woeful (more so than usually, lol). Maybe when I've got more than just a few weeks of practice in Street Fighter under my belt the muscle memory for combos won't wear off so fast.

If I haven't played for a few days I'll usually just load it up and jump into the trials for a refresher. Then I'll load up arcade mode on the hardest difficulty and wait for someone online to challenge me.

• Advertisement

For simplicity, I think the first tourney should be to draw the players at random as if we were all equal.

We can use the results for the first tourney for seedings for the second one. After all, Its a results business :)

Well, I was thinking, if we're going to have a seed system, we should all have at least one match against each other and then set the rankings based on each person's win ratio so that everyone gets a fair chance.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Zangief players should automatically be handicapped. Their arms most be broken before the matches take place or something. :pac:

Kirby wrote: »
    For simplicity, I think the first tourney should be to draw the players at random as if we were all equal.

We can use the results for the first tourney for seedings for the second one. After all, Its a results business :)

There were already three tourneys though with mostly the same players.

I wasn't there so, obviously, it doesn't count! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement