Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 102

Options
  • 17-06-2009 8:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

UFC have confirmed more fights for 102.
    Large number of US vs Brazil fights.
    Really looking forwarde to Maia vs Marquadt

Randy Couture vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira

Keith Jardine vs. Thiago Silva

Chris Leben vs. Jake Rosholt

Demian Maia vs. Nate Marquardt

Matt Hamill vs. Brandon Vera

Wilson Gouveia vs. James Irvin

Junior Dos Santos vs. Justin McCully

Nick Catone vs. Mark Munoz

Evan Dunham vs. Matt Veach

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Stacking up to be a very nice card.

Randy v Nog is a tough one to call. My money is on Nog though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Both are legends, but also past their prime. Both are small HW. Would have loved to have this matchups a few years ago, but better late than never.

Given that Nog doesnt have KO power, and Randy has excellent submission defence, I give it to Randy by decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Yeah its very hard to tell. Striking I don't see being the major factor.

I would imagine it hits the ground. If Nog can handle Randy's tempo of fighting I think he will get the sub. Just don't see Randy's GNP causing that much trouble to a man who had fedor drumming on his skull

As you said. 4 or 5 years ago this would have been the fight we all wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Based on their previous bouts I'll take couture in this win. Nog is even more shot than the 45 year old.

Matt Hamill vs. Brandon Vera

Two very interesting fights. Maia has looked very good but hasn't really been tested. Nate has also looked very strong in recent bouts.
    That's a real pickem.

Vera desperately needs to get a few W's under his belt. I like this guy but something always seems to go wrong for him.. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

UFC 102: Sorry Lads We Cant Fit You On 100

• Advertisement

Bit harsh given that there are some quality fights here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

my fight of the night anyway, love watching demian maia and nate is a quality fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Really looking forward to nate and maia also. I think this will be a classic striker vs grapler match up. If it stays on the feet Nate is favoured and if maia can get the takedown he will probably get the submission.

Im callin a 2nd round maia win via Triangle choke!

Interesting way to call the fight considering Nate, altohugh well rounded, is a much more accomplished ground fighter than a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Really looking forward to nate and maia also. I think this will be a classic striker vs grapler match up. If it stays on the feet Nate is favoured and if maia can get the takedown he will probably get the submission.

Im callin a 2nd round maia win via Triangle choke!

I like both these guys - as much as I reckon Maia will be a future champ and will beat A Silva if they meet, this is a very very tough fight for him - Nate is incredibly strong for his weight class and as well rounded as can be with excellent strikes and the Pancrase experience too.

I also heard that pre UFC 85, Maia was subbed by Diego Sanchez a few times in sparring which dampens my thought that he had the best pure jiu jitsu in the UFC.

Should be a great fight regardless.

Main event does nothing for me, really don't care who wins, and it doesn't really lead to anywhere for me - the winner MAY get a title shot or a top contender fight and I wouldn't fancy their chances in either, and the loser is pretty much done at the elite level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

dunkamania wrote: »
    Interesting way to call the fight considering Nate, altohugh well rounded, is a much more accomplished ground fighter than a striker.
    Yea I just think Jackson and Nate wont want anything to do with Maia on the ground and their best chance would be to keep it on the feet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yea I just think Jackson and Nate wont want anything to do with Maia on the ground and their best chance would be to keep it on the feet..

I think they are too smart for that, i think there preference would obviously be too keep it standing, but i also think ( or hope ) that Nate would be spending a lot of time drilling getting back to his feet pretty damn fast.

I think we'll see Nate spend a lot of time cutting angles and putting some varied strikes on Maia. That said, eventually Nate will throw a kick that Maia will catch, or end up on the inside long enough for Maia to do something insane and take the win.

Advertisement